SR MacBook Keyboard Unresponsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeremy1026, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Twice tonight I have opened an iChat window and typed my message, just to notice that my keyboard wasn't working. I then moved to all other open applications and my keyboard doesn't work in anything. Even the Caps Lock button doesn't work, I press it and the light doesn't turn on/off. Shortly after (5mins or so) everything is working fine again. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

2. flipkid1021 macrumors newbie

I am currently not experiencing that problem at all.. i think it may be a mbp defect thus go to apple care to solve the problem. seems to me to be the best bet for you. maybe some faulty wiring or what not

3. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Only problem is I can't reproduce it. I don't know whats causing it either, so I can't take it to the Genius Bar and be like, see...

4. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

I am also currently experiencing the same issue. It seems to come and go, but it is very annoying, so I have resorted to an external keyboard.

I was able to fix the problem temporarily by putting cardboard between the computer and battery. This worked for awhile, but now the keyboard becomes randomly unresponsive both with and without the cardboard.

My guess is the keyboard connector is loose, but I'll have to wait for Thanksgiving break before I have a chance to bring my MBP to an Apple Store for repair.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes, this is a very common problem with the SR MBPs, and your guess is exactly right; this is due to a improperly connected ribbon cable. And your intuition, too, is correct in thinking that a Genius can fix the issue easily. This has occurred to enough users that they will not hassle you about it. And the fix is easy, you'll be in and out the store with your MBP, no problem.

6. KristenM macrumors regular

Good luck. I have a MB not a MBP but am having the same issue. The genius at my store this morning said she had never heard of the problem, there was nothing in the support system about it, and after having me try to "make it happen" and of course it behaved perfectly, I was sent home without her even touching the computer. Her best suggestion was for me to bring it in later in the week if I was having the same problem and they would send it out for a new keyboard since they didn't have any in stock.
    On top of the keyboard (and I'm not sure if this is related or separate) but last night and just a few minutes ago when it did it, it didn't start working by putting it to sleep and waking it up as it has most of the time in the past. When I rebooted the system just hung on a blue screen for 10 mins until I manually shut it down.

7. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

When I took mine in yesterday they gave me a new machine. Not even one of the ones they have in the back for replacement, a brand new one, full wires and documentation and what not. The did look up in their system to see if I called Apple Care about the issue like I said I did.

8. KristenM macrumors regular

I'm on hold (again) with Support. I've called them twice this afternoon and this time it may have done the trick. The first guy wanted me to run an extended hardware test and said if nothing came up that they would have to send it in for repairs. This guy is much more helpful and said he said that I have the right to have an exchange of this issue and is doing something to make it happen.
    So after talking with him more he said if I had bought this online they would do an exchange but because I bought this in an Apple store it will depends on the genius I get. Some will agree to exchange, others won't. He gave me the case number and told me to go back to the store and tell them I want a new computer and if I have any problems to have them call tech support.
    Ugh...apparently it's another hour drive to the Apple store...again! I think I'm going to call them first to see what they'll do before I waste the gas.

Update: I called the store and they said since I had a case number to make an appt with a genius, bring the MacBook in with the box and everything along with the case number and they would exchange it for me. I'm heading out now since it takes an hour to get there so I'll update this when I get back.

Update 2: I have a new MacBook. There were no questions asked once I gave them the case number and told them that AppleCare said to bring it in for an exchange and I was out within 20 minutes (including them installing my extra RAM). We'll see if I get the same problem with this one. My fingers are crossed that I don't!

9. cvahl macrumors member

I would guess it is a software problem, cause I occasionally happens to my Santa Rosa Macbook too, but after rebooting, it works fine again. Maybe there is something wrong with Leopard?

10. haiggy macrumors 65816

I've had this problem before too. Trackpad responds fine.

Grrrr... only happened twice though. Not since.

11. TariqSyed macrumors newbie

Guys, I bought a MBP last week and already experiencing problems with the keyboard. Stops responding for no reason and start responding after few seconds or a minute.
    Let's see what the Danish support guys say about it!

12. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I think it could be with Leopard. This hasn't happened with many of the machines of similar build (i don't believe you can run Tiger on a SR MacBook) and this is the first time I have seen it crop up since the MacBook came out in 2006. Wouldn't be surprised if 10.5.1 fixes this problem. If it's not software, it could be a loose ribbon connector. Same thing happened on my old HP laptop, and one click of the cable helped that problem out.

13. Bilvox macrumors member

Bilvox

yarrr!

I have been experiencing that this last weekend. My keyboard was cutting out once in a while, much like a loose connection somewhere.
    So I have an appointment at the genius bar this evening. Yet it was working again last night and this morning.
    Here and I have finally gotten it up to speed, final cut express, cs3... etc
    I assume this is a quick fix if I leave it there this evening. Any body offer any insight?
    ~bv:apple:

14. feyn-man macrumors regular

I found the "Y" key of my new macbook is not sensitive enough. Most of time I have to type 2 twice

15. smadder macrumors member

Same problems

I have the mid-line white SR. I sold my old 2.16 (which wasn't that old) for the exact price I spent on it. I swapped teh HDs and the RAM because I wanted the 2GB chip in the SRMB and save up to get a matching one later. Plus, I have the Hitachi 7200rpm 200GB drive, so that also came with me.

I can't get Tiger to run on it properly at all, even when I do a reinstall of it. I called support and they said that the upcoming release of 10.4.11 will fix all of the issues with hardware compatibility and Tiger. The SRMBs are the very first "built-for-Leopard" computers that they've put out, so Tiger was just a pain-in-the-ass for me to install. I was told to expect compatibility issues until the upgrade is issued. It doesn't make me happy, but I understand. It would have been nice to put out something on software update to at least get the mouse, keyboard and graphics running... they are only drivers so it shouldn't be that difficult...

So, I'm using Leopard even though I REALLY wanted to wait for 10.5.1 to be released first. I'm having some compatibility issues with drivers and programs (especially the utilities, which I am anal about using once a week to keep everything smooth), but I was expecting that to happen since the rest of the world always seems to take a while to get their act together for a new Mac OS. As soon as Alsoft comes out with their free upgrade, the happier I will be. Same goes for Copycat.

16. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Thus far everyone thats taken it in for this reason (that I know of) had it replaced with a new one. If I were you I'd make a back-up of your HDD before your go.

17. Bilvox macrumors member

Bilvox

Ya I hear you
    I am trying to record music for my friends film with m audio devices and they have yet to release drivers for my stuff for leopard. Rather frustrating. You would think half-a-month into it they would have more drivers out already.

18. crzdmniac macrumors regular

And I thought I was the only one that ever had that problem. I had a MBP with a series of problems, ultimately it was replaced. No more "Y" problem anymore.

19. KristenM macrumors regular

Well all was good for about 48 hours will my replacement MacBook and I'm having the same keyboard issues with this one now. Obviously it's something with Leopard and hopefully they'll figure it out soon. I'm not going to drive an hour each way every few days to get a new computer!!

20. jblock macrumors regular

After a problem-free week with a new SR Macbook I've experienced the keyboard issue twice today.

21. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Sooo, this seems like the iMac Freeze equivilant on the MB.

I recently bought a MB like last week and I have noticed this issue a few times. Mostly when waking the pc up. Question though, anyone experiencing this use a BT or USB mouse? I wanted to experiment by having my wife put her MB to sleep without the mouse, then when I check it later on tonight see if it does it again.

I haven't laid out any test plans to see what could reproduce it 90% but I want to really experience it to get a good feel for what could possibly have it happen. Some thoughts are; extensive use (ie., heat), rapid put to sleep (shutting lid though this shouldn't matter one bit), software update? (RDC), external mouse.

I think the "loose connector" was a rash and quick judgement that is more than likely incorrect by the genius. If it was a loose connector why would the keyboard freeze up, use ONLY the mouse to relaunch finder and the keyboard work again? All without moving the MB at all.

At this point the best thing to do is everyone log these issues to Applecare so they have a good amount of reported issues so they can get to work on a fix.

22. parpart33 macrumors newbie

parpart33

Keyboard Issue

My BlackBook cut out twice last night while I was writing an essay, and after a discussion with an amazing AppleCare rep named Andrew, who discussed Canadian Football more than anything, he went on to explain that this issue is being reported as DOA (Dead on Arrival), and Apple would be sending my computer out to be examined to rectify this issue. Based on this information, I would say there is some defect along the way with the SR MacBooks, but Apple is doing an amazing job of taking care of it. Got my case number and Andrew said I could head to the Apple Store 3 miles away and do an over-the-counter swap no problem. :D Cheers to Apple's fine support team and my new BlackBook.

23. koshper macrumors member

Excellent news but from what everyone else is saying this is not gonna cure it. I'm hoping this is a software problem and the new update will cure it.

Anybody here had a new sr macbook for longer than a week and not had this problem?

24. bonecandy macrumors member

I bought a SR MBP about 5 months ago and never experienced any real keyboard issues (aside from having to press a button twice in order for it register every once in a while). But, a couple of days after I upgraded to Leopard, my keyboard started to cut out intermittently for several hours. I reinstalled Leopard and it hasn't cut out ever since (knock on wood).