SR Macbook Sleep Issue (DVD Drive noise)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BPresley321, Dec 8, 2007.

1. BPresley321 macrumors regular

New mac owner...just bought a SR blackbook. When I shut the lid, after about 30 seconds the disc drive makes a sound similar to ejecting or taking in a disc. It has happened several times in a row with about the same interval. The white light stays solid and doesn't blink. It even happens with just Firefox or even no programs running.

I have an external hard drive but I disconnected it and replicated the problem. I searched before posting (don't wanna get flamed) and found a similar thread but it involved a bluetooth mouse possibly awaking the computer from sleep. I don't have one of those but I disconnected my usb mouse anyways and still got the same problem.

I'm a new mac owner and might need a more thorough explanation about fixes.

Thanks in advance

2. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Just got a new SR Macbook today and I'm loving it!

Not sure if we have the same problem, but whenever I close the lid and wake it up from sleep my drive also makes a the strange "ejecting noise." :confused:

This doesn't sound normal to me...

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

My dad's MB has/had the same problem. I think it's something with Leopard, I dunno, but most of the time it doesn't happen. I can't offer much help, maybe a reinstall, but first reset the PSU, repair permissions, and zap the PRAM, just to be safe.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It is absolutely normal.

5. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Yup it's perfectly normal. Happens on all Macbooks and MacBook Pros. It's just the computer detecting the drive on startup and when waking from sleep :)

6. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

That's weird. I'm pretty sure the older Macbooks at my school don't make that sound upon waking. Oh well, it doesn't really bother me.

EDIT: Oh, thanks for the link Eidorian! :)

7. Cool6324 macrumors member

My old iBook does the same thing. The drive spins to see if a any discs are inside from before it went to sleep.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

well its not normal in this scenario. Read his post thoroughly. He is putting it to sleep, but obviously its waking up while the lid is still closed. A solid light means that the computer is ON and no longer sleeping.

it looks like its waking from sleep somehow. Are you disconnecting the USB mouse before putting it to sleep? If you do it while the lid is closed or while its going to sleep you're going to wake it up (and make that noise). If bluetooth is on, turn it off (regardless if you have anything connected, a phone or mouse.)

edit: plugging in or unplugging any USB device will wake the computer up, even with the lid closed. It should go back to sleep in a few seconds though. (at least with my experience)

9. chianachoang macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I also have a blackbook which I purchased in the summer of 2008. It has never made this noise before today. When I open or close it it "ejects" a nonexistent disk 2-3 and sometimes even 4 times. I don't know if this is a performance issue or if it even matters at all, but it is interesting to note that it has NEVER happened before today except on power up.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It should check for a disc as well when waking up. I'd suggest resetting your PRAM and/or SMC.

11. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I've got the same issue. It went with 10.5.4 and came back with 10.5.6 :mad: