SR MBP: High temps when charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mxsix, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Mxsix macrumors member

Mxsix

When I am using my SR MBP while it's charging, the fans kick in very high and my temperatures are very high. Is this normal while charging and in use? It is not hot when I don't use it.

Thanks for the help.

2. Gosh macrumors 6502

No! The adapter gets pretty hot but the Laptop should fans should not ramp up so!

Try elevating the Laptop so there is an air gap underneath (esp where the battery is) and leave it and see if that brings it back down to normal?

If it's new and you don't think it's right - take it back or speak to Apple Care sooner rather than later!

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

SHouldn't go very hot when used under charging.
    I'm often running mine while charging and usually fans doesn't run at all.

4. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Its down to surface you have it. Like Gosh said it has to have air circulating around it.

So having it on your lap/bed will mean it gets very hot.

5. Mxsix thread starter macrumors member

Mxsix

I always have it angled to let air circulate and it still gets very warm and the fans turn to a higher RPM.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

occasionally when charging my fans will rev up, but only for like a minute, then they slow back down. This has happened two times in the past week, but doesn't bother me. Also it only happened when charging from a completely dead battery.

7. aansa macrumors newbie

I have found exactly the same thing with mine. It gets hot if I am using it whilst charging!

8. niele macrumors member

Mine also gets very hot when charging after awhile. I have it on a stand so there is air circulating around it but the fans will kick in and it will slowly cool down. I even turn down the screen brightness thinking that might help or I'll put it to sleep until it's cooled down.:cool:

9. chem macrumors regular

My CPU temps get to 50-55C when it idles while charging, but the exterior! It's super hot! I mean, you don't really want to touch it. It's burning hot, while doing nothing but light web surfing, if it's plugged into the charger.

Is that normal?

EDIT: I should mention the head is concentrated on the underside. And you _can_ touch it without injuring yourself, it's just extremely uncomfortable. Maybe if you kept your had pressed against it and had fair skin, it would cause a slight burn.

10. MGLXP macrumors regular

Mine does the exact same thing. It even ramps up to 6000rpm while my CPU temps are about 42-45 degrees Celsius. It turns out the fans in the SR Macbook Pro respond more to the temperature of the Memory Controller (rather than CPU), which is significantly higher when the battery is charging. I say this because when my CPU temperature was in the 70s, the fan speed was still stuck at the baseline level.

11. digyourownhole macrumors newbie

All,
    I have the same issue (let me call it: problem. This is in my opinion not acceptable).

I have only had the mbp for 1 day, but I have had a mbp core duo up until this mbp c2d Santa Rosa with LED.

I figured out so far that it does not happen while working on battery. It does happen when charging,and as some of you pointed out, it seems to be the Memory Controller heat that causes this.

Somewhere I read that resetting the SMC chip has caused the issue to disappear for some people. To reset the SMC Schip:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

I have done this too. However I have not yet been able to test this using my mbp with an (almost) empty battery while charging.

So, fingers crossed.

Please send feedback/experiences

12. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

my MBP gets hot, on the side where the charger is. i presume this is the power circuitry for charging the battery doing this. the CPU temps dont neccessarily go up too much though, but that side of the chassis does get hot and it gets hotter if you are loading the cpus up

i did notice however, that switching to "better energy savings" whilsts on the mains power (i think usually its set to normal or better performance when on the mains because theres no batt to drain) that chassis is alot cooler... you can feel that its cooler with your hands.

13. chem macrumors regular

That makes no sense; I wonder why it does that? The energy settings just affect when the machine and display sleep, right?

I notice too that the area real close to the magsafe plug gets super hot while charging, presumably just from the power circuitry there. It's like having an 85W light bulb inside the case I guess... but shouldn't the power be going to the laptop, and not to radiation? ;)

Has anyone taken their SR MBP back for repair/replacement and received a machine which runs cooler while plugged in?

14. digyourownhole macrumors newbie

The SMC reset did not solve anything. Here is what i have been finding out. Please reply with opinions and experiences:

All,
    I recently upgraded from a MBP Core Duo 2GHz (which my girlfriend now enjoys) to a MBP Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa 2,2GHz, 15-inch.

The MBP CD always was a lovely quiet machine. Hardly ever would the fan's rev up so you'd hear them. The MBP C2D SR however rev's up when on the power-outlet with a battery that is almost empty (working on battery or on outlet with charged battery is no problem) with simple tasks like scrolling through a 4 gig iPhoto library (exessivey, as in constant scrolling). The rev's of the fans quikely hit 6000 rpm!

I compared both machines. Whe working normally, charged battery, on power-outlet, the memory controller of the MBP C2D SR is on average 10 degrees celsius hotter than the MemController of the MBP CD.

Than I did a 'yes'-test (type in yes in terminal and hit enter, this will stress the CPU). Let both machines run for about 10 minutes. Here are the temp readings on both machines (in degree celcius)?

MPB C2D SR:
    CPU 69
    GPU 69
    GPU Heatsink 59
    Heatsink A 55
    Heatsink B 46
    Enclosure Bottom 38
    Memory Controller 64
    RPM 5479

MPB CD:
    CPU 70
    GPU 51
    GPU Heatsink 58
    Heatsink A 34
    Heatsink B 37
    Enclosure Bottom 36
    Memory Controller 58
    RPM 4890

Especially the heatsink's differ a lot (more than 20 and 10 degrees celcius).

What might be the reason for these high temp differences? thermal paste?

I hate the machine reving up so much, i am used to the quiet fan's of MBP CD and Powerbook G4.

What are the readings other MBP C2D SR owners get?
    And, do you all have the same issue with revs going quickly to 6000rpm when charging empty battery and doing minor things like scrolling through iPhoto? (i think this also is related to the MemController reaching temperature of 61 degree celcius, this is when the fans kick in big time.

15. mcwotan macrumors newbie

Same problem here

I'm having exactly the same problem - while charging, the fans are running at 6000rpm, even if i am not doing processor-intensive work. My MBP is standing on an iCurve for air circulation...

i have already contacted the apple care support if this was normal, but the very "intelligent" answer from the lady on the phone was "humm, we're all having powerbooks and mbps here at work and they're all plugged in - no fan is running." After explaining that this happens just at charging, not while being plugged in, she exactly repeated her first answer and told me to give my mbp to service.

But i do need it for work right now - has anybody gone to a service provider/sent his mbp in, or in other words - has been told that this is really a defect??

16. NateNateNate macrumors newbie

Guys.. batteries get hot when they charge! there's nothing wrong.
    The heating up of the battery is just heating up your computer a bit more and causing the fans to kick in.

Have you ever felt a cellphone while it was changing? those things get hottt.

17. wako macrumors 65816

If you have your option to Best Battery Performance, i wouldnt be surprised if this is true.

If your system is usually crunching a lot of information on the battery it will try to take as little energy as possible (whether it be suspending the HDD to using less CPU power, etc etc). As soon as you plug it in, it will do a lot more thus more heat and thus faster fan speed. Try putting the system to best performance and see what happens...

just a hunch though

18. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

if you turn around your laptop and look carefully through the air vents, you can see if the thermal paste is applied correctly or not.

19. mcwotan macrumors newbie

How can you see that? What indicates incorrectly applied thermal paste? thx

20. henhowc macrumors regular

On my SR MBP when I'm low on battery and I plug in the power my fans start spinning at 6000RPM. It eventually slows down after awhile. My old CD MBP does not behave this way. But then again the CD MBP also feels much hotter after long periods of use.

Question...does anyone with the new smaller power adapter experience this same behavior?

21. niele macrumors member

UPDATE: I went out and got a new ilap stand and (I promise I don't work for these folks) but it is really keeping my :apple: so much cooler,and I don't turn down the screen anymore - LOL -:D

22. Gandhi macrumors regular

The fans on my MBP speed up as well when I plug in the power cord, but the temp readings for the CPU stay around 45-50. Fans speed up initially to 5500 rpm, then go down and stay at 2500-3500 rpm. I figured this was normal :confused:

23. digyourownhole macrumors newbie

I was working on my former MacBook Pro (Core Duo). What i noticed (never noticed before) is that in this model the Memory Controller gets way hotter while charging an empty battery than while woking on power-oulet on full battery, or just working on battery. (the temp right now is 67 degrees opposed to rond 45-53). However the fan's don't rev up to 6000.

This, to me, would almost certainly have to indicate that the fans hitting 6000rpm on the MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa (because of the Memory Controller reaching 61 degrees and up) has to do with a firmware issue (or consious choice bij Apple).

So hopefully the firmware will get an update keeping the fans from hitting 6000rpm. I'd rather have a hotter MBP than a loud one.

24. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

Mine is doing the same thing. While plugged in and charging, the temp of the Memory Controller goes up to 59-61C and the fans kicked up to 3500rpm and as high as 6000rpm. Is this normal?

I also noticed that if I ran an application like iChat, the fans stayed constantly at the 6000rpm level.

25. lilvenom macrumors member

i noticed my fans kicked in pretty high for a little while too while charging my battery up from like 15% capacity. i figured it was normal, especially after seeing so many other people notice it. i'm on a MBP Santa Rosa 2.2