Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I ran the lcdtest too and saw nothing different from the previous MBPs

issic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
The default ColorLCD profile somehow covers it completely.

Totaly agree I calibrated it several times by internal calibration and with SuperCal (free utility) and mine brand new notebook around dock is looking like if somebody was blowing a cigarette smoke on it....yellow tint as a vintage machine.

So Ironicaly somebody said that mercury display will go yellowish by time, older = yellower. The new display comes with this feature "pre-installed" so you will not notice :D actually it's not funny :(

Especially when consider :apple: computers are used in film, video, photography and graphics...:mad: :apple: :mad:

HFU

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2005
I've been through more MBPs and macbooks over the past year than computers over the past 14 years so I'm really hesitant to send this one back, especially if it's a wider problem.
I'd recommend keep it when you are satisfy with it because chances that you won't get another screen like this, could be worse, e.g. pixel issues you know.

I had gone through many CD and Napa C2D exchanges in the past for the same reason, only had I gone through more than 10 machines to find out one Napa C2D that had very minimal grain (very hard to see) and evenly lit panel.

so how is the 6bit issue displayed?
More like color banding. Check the image below. Is that what appeared on your screen?

Attachments

• LCDTest_NapaC2D.png
    LCDTest_NapaC2D.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 4,300

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I'd recommend keep it when you are satisfy with it because chances that you won't get another screen like this, could be worse, e.g. pixel issues you know.

I had gone through many CD and Napa C2D exchanges in the past for the same reason, only had I gone through more than 10 machines to find out one Napa C2D that had very minimal grain (very hard to see) and evenly lit panel.

I'm almost embarrassed to tell anybody how many 15" MBPs I've had since they came out last year, but I too counted 10 plus this last one! I'm not going to admit how many macbooks I had....

At least I'm not alone....

I'm very happy with this one - everything is perfect on it: no manufacturing/assembly flaws (cosmetically the most perfect one I've had), all functions working perfectly (sounds,mic, superdrive, all ports), heat is reasonable, no noises or squeaks and the display is many times better than any of the displays on the other ones, even with that slight yellow tint at the bottom. So it's a keeper. If this turns out to be a widespread issue and apple addresses it, I might have the display replaced later, but otherwise the displays is beautiful.

Perfection is always elusive with apple laptops. It's important to know when to stop and be content. I hope I know - coming here all the time doesn't exactly help, does it?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005

I'm almost embarrassed to tell anybody how many 15" MBPs I've had since they came out last year, but I too counted 10 plus this last one! I'm not going to admit how many macbooks I had....

At least I'm not alone....

I'm very happy with this one - everything is perfect on it: no manufacturing/assembly flaws (cosmetically the most perfect one I've had), all functions working perfectly (sounds,mic, superdrive, all ports), heat is reasonable, no noises or squeaks and the display is many times better than any of the displays on the other ones, even with that slight yellow tint at the bottom. So it's a keeper. If this turns out to be a widespread issue and apple addresses it, I might have the display replaced later, but otherwise the displays is beautiful.

Perfection is always elusive with apple laptops. It's important to know when to stop and be content. I hope I know - coming here all the time doesn't exactly help, does it?

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
One on top half and one on the bottom. The white "Leopard" text look different isn't it?

This looks like a screenshot; not a photograph of the screen itself.

How can a screenshot be more yellow in the bottom part? If it indeed is this can never be the screen because it's in the screenshot itself (gpu?). But to be really honest I think it's all in your head... :)

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA

I think it has a lot do do with expectations. Most PC laptops I encounter are of what I would consider inferior quality, yet their owners seem perfectly satisfied with them. I guess most people don't examine things super critically and/or don't spend a bunch of time on forums verbalizing every little nit.

Of course, most people aren't obsessive Mac owners! ;)

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I think it has a lot do do with expectations. Most PC laptops I encounter are of what I would consider inferior quality, yet their owners seem perfectly satisfied with them. I guess most people don't examine things super critically and/or don't spend a bunch of time on forums verbalizing every little nit.

Of course, most people aren't obsessive Mac owners! ;)

Aboslutely agree. I use macs because I love the OS, but also because of the wonderful minimalism of the design - it allows me to enjoy all the time I have to spend on the computer without flashing hard drive activity indicators, buttons everywhere and what not. But I also pay more for this privilege and demand/want great quality. I've been very disappointed with Apple quality as of late, but none of the machines I sent back arrived DOA or had serious functional issues. They mostly worked well, but had other quality problems: displays, sounds, heat, bulging metal etc. I expect better, but I also realise that most my PC friends would never even notice the smaller things that I notice....

Quite honestly, I showed the display to my girlfriend and asked her if she could see anything strange with it. She just looked at me like I'm crazy. I probably am.

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
Note to those who are looking for this issue, perhaps by going into an Apple store: I can only notice it when the room is mostly dark and the majority of the light is coming from the screen itself.

I'm one of those people who is very sensitive to bad audio, but not that sensitive to gradient issues and such. So, cursed with buying expensive audio gear and maintaining FLAC files for one issue, but I can live with this screen issue easily.

The build quality on my MBP is amazing... no gaps, unevenness of keys, dead or stick pixels, or anything else I've seen others complain about. I'm keeping this unit.

issic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Quite honestly, I showed the display to my girlfriend and asked her if she could see anything strange with it. She just looked at me like I'm crazy. I probably am.

Well mine girlfriend noticed it as well, maybe cos we are both artists so we are pretty picky about color. But truly it's pissed me only in internet browsing and maybe finder, otherwise you will not see it. Maybe will get better with time. But I agree to get to worser one if I will change it.

To that picture you send. It's not a photograph of display - so different LCD will see it differently I just check it. On MBP generation 2.2 (look to sys info for model identifier) it's almost perfectly seamless, on this new MBP generation 3.1 there is a horizontal line in a green gradient. And you can't address the yellow tint...

god damn the yellow tint but the horrizontal line?

narongwit12

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2007
I am going to buy a 15 SR MBP very soon. It s going to my first Mac ever. However, before that, could anyone tell me that with yellowish and gradients issues you all have discussed, is it worth buying than the previoud generation MBP C2D? If it is worse than older one, i would consider buy MBP C2D ?

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
This yellow tint is very obvious. Just pull up a neutral gray background and look at the last 20% of the screen on the bottom. It's got a pretty strong yellow tint to it. This is on a SR glossy screen. The funny thing is that this is a replacement my C2D MBP because of screen problems. I'm hoping that when my final replacement arrives (this one is a temporary one they let me purchase\return) it won't have this problem since it's not a glossy screen.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Well mine girlfriend noticed it as well, maybe cos we are both artists so we are pretty picky about color. But truly it's pissed me only in internet browsing and maybe finder, otherwise you will not see it. Maybe will get better with time. But I agree to get to worser one if I will change it.

To that picture you send. It's not a photograph of display - so different LCD will see it differently I just check it. On MBP generation 2.2 (look to sys info for model identifier) it's almost perfectly seamless, on this new MBP generation 3.1 there is a horizontal line in a green gradient. And you can't address the yellow tint...

god damn the yellow tint but the horrizontal line?

True - it's really only noticeable when browsing on the internet with pages that have large sections of solid white. Otherwise it's fine. I do wonder if this will be a more widespread issue or if it's just a few of them.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I am going to buy a 15 SR MBP very soon. It s going to my first Mac ever. However, before that, could anyone tell me that with yellowish and gradients issues you all have discussed, is it worth buying than the previoud generation MBP C2D? If it is worse than older one, i would consider buy MBP C2D ?

I my opinion, the current displays are infinitely better than the old ones. The old ones had uneven backlight, grain that made the display look like it had a layer of dust on it, and very poor viewing angles. The new ones are relatively evenly illuminated, have almost no graininess and seem to have slightly better viewing angles. THe yellowish tint at the bottom of the display is not nice, but to me it's preferable to all the problems of the old ones.

If you can, perhaps wait a month or so to see if this becomes a larger issue that Apple addresses.

narongwit12

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2007
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I dont think i can wait that long due to some inconvenience. Anyway, i will go to the store and see by myself whether it is acceptable for me or not.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Here are a few pictures where you can see the slightly brownish/yellowish bottom part of the display. I tried taking pictures of a white background but I can't seem to capture it. For some reason it's very hard to get a good pictures of this display -they all end up distorted in one way or another. I'm using a good distortion-free macro lens (Nikkor 60mm), but still can't seem to capture the look of the display.

20070612-DSC_1395-1.jpg

20070612-DSC_1395-1.jpg

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
is this the checkered pattern people have talked about? or is that some sort of test running or...?

I'm not sure what it is - perhaps the anti-glare filter? The previous MBPs were also difficult to capture without getting that color prism pattern. It's not visible in anyway in real life.

Quik, have you calibrated your display? Before I calibrated mine the yellow was completely invisible.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Mine is perfect, no bleeding, no dead pixel, no yellow-ish...

Lucky?

LUCKY! I'd kill to have no bleeding. I bet my bottom (and top) dollar that there is no way to calibrate a screen bleed into disappearing :p

My GF's is the same as you describe. No yellow at all.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
LUCKY! I'd kill to have no bleeding. I bet my bottom (and top) dollar that there is no way to calibrate a screen bleed into disappearing :p

My GF's is the same as you describe. No yellow at all.

Trepex, I don't want to cause trouble, but has your girlfriend calibrated her display? I just switched to ColorLCD profile and the yellow kind of disappears because whites on the rest of the display look less white and slightly more cream.After a few minutes, your eyes get used to it and adjust so that it seems quite white even if it's off.

Once calibrated so that the top 3 quarters of the display are crispy white, however, the lower part looks yellowish.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
This looks like a screenshot; not a photograph of the screen itself.

How can a screenshot be more yellow in the bottom part? If it indeed is this can never be the screen because it's in the screenshot itself (gpu?). But to be really honest I think it's all in your head... :)

Sorry I didn't make it clear. It's just a screenshot showing how you can reproduce the problem on your screen. It does NOT show the problem obviously. I accidentally left my camera in gf's purse :mad: ... I'll try to take pictures once my camera is back.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Trepex, I don't want to cause trouble, but has your girlfriend calibrated her display? I just switched to ColorLCD profile and the yellow kind of disappears because whites on the rest of the display look less white and slightly more cream.After a few minutes, your eyes get used to it and adjust so that it seems quite white even if it's off.

Once calibrated so that the top 3 quarters of the display are crispy white, however, the lower part looks yellowish.

No trouble. I can take pictures tonight when I take them of my own, to compare. We tried examining the screen from all angles with a white screen up and it looked very very good. She only had it out of the box for 2 hours last night so definitely didn't do any video calibrating while we were playing around with it.

I have soccer tonight but I'll do what I can to get some quick pics taken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.