Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

issic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
an hour this morning and the led matte display next to this glossy one had no yellow tint so I went ahead and went home and came back and did the exchange. =D Now all is good!! and no dead pixels either very nice quality!!

congrats! well I change it and this has issue as well so hope I can return it again and take cinemadisplay. Cinemadisplay LCD will stand for long time, my 3weeks old MBP will stand as well and around christmas there will be upgread for sure coming with leopard...;) and Cinemadisplay will still be handy :)

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Well, I went to the NYC 5th avenue store to check other macbook pros for yellow tint.

First, I have to say that Apple does its laptops a disservice with that lighting! Or maybe that's how they continue to cover up LCD problems. I wish they at least provided a darker area for those who want to truly scrutinize the displays.

Anyway, a few observations based on 5 units I looked at:

- They all are yellowish/warmish under the default ColorLCD profile.

- All the ones I saw, three matte and two glossy, were a little more yellowish at the bottom than at the top. I loaded the custom profile somebody posted here, just to compare. With that loaded, the upper part of the displays showed white whites that became lightly yellow tinted whites as I moved them toward the bottom of the display.

- interestingly, I noticed a certain graininess on one of the glossy ones - not as bad as it used to be, but still more so than the matte units.

- Two of the displays had visibly uneven illumination, though not as bad as some of the previous models.

I struggled with the lighting so the above is what I could make out after looking for a while and trying to compare different profiles to find the common denominator. The yellow tint seems common.

So, I don't know where this leaves us....

Oh, and checked out one of the new 17" MBPs. It had the worst case of uneven backlighting i have seen. The middle lower part was super bright and the rest was much darker. Somebody described it as a spotlight and that's how it looked. Awful.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
OK, so far the reported problems are:

1. Yellow cast on lower third
2. Flickering LCD
3. Hiss/crackling/random screeching noises in audio from headphone jack

Not good...

The high res display has much more even illumination than the standard res 17" from my observations.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
hey issic, instead of a Apple Cinema Display why not get a new samsung led display. Its a bit pricey but still a bit cheaper than the 2.4ghz mbp! And its pure Led better than the mbp with the RGB backlit where its so vibrant it'll burn your eyes with eye candy =D. The new mbp led screen looks so much better than my 23" cinema display that I bought a few months back. Now I want a Samsung xl23 or xl20" =D

AbsenceOfTruth

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
I got the new MBP LED as well 2 days after it came out. When I first booted it up I noticed the bottom 10% of the screen with a yellowish tint to it. It doesn't bother me at all nor do I notice it unless I really look at it only in white. I wonder if this will go away after time though... or if there is anyway to calibrate the screen?

Anyways I love the new MacBook Pro!!! :D

AbsenceOfTruth

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Also what display profile do you guys use??? Do you use the default one with calibrating it? I'm currently using the Color LCD one...

CV4

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Does it get any worse than the picture on the second page?

Cause that really doesn't even bother me. I guess I am just not that picky....yet.

Wallace86

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
I'm almost embarrassed to tell anybody how many 15" MBPs I've had since they came out last year, but I too counted 10 plus this last one! I'm not going to admit how many macbooks I had....

At least I'm not alone....

I'm very happy with this one - everything is perfect on it: no manufacturing/assembly flaws (cosmetically the most perfect one I've had), all functions working perfectly (sounds,mic, superdrive, all ports), heat is reasonable, no noises or squeaks and the display is many times better than any of the displays on the other ones, even with that slight yellow tint at the bottom. So it's a keeper. If this turns out to be a widespread issue and apple addresses it, I might have the display replaced later, but otherwise the displays is beautiful.

Perfection is always elusive with apple laptops. It's important to know when to stop and be content. I hope I know - coming here all the time doesn't exactly help, does it?

you went through 10 MBP's?? Do they just take them back with no problems? Do you do this in the apple store or by mail? at least they were willing to exchange for you.

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
You guys are all TARDS. Apple makes all their laptops in China. Get a CRT external display and quit whining! What do you expect, Apple is going to put decent parts in their computers? They don't give a crap about their computers anymore. As long as they keep selling songs and pods they are happy. The new OS is a joke. Did you see it? It's not even half the interface OS 9 was. Where's the control strip? I've been waiting since 10.0 for a damn control strip!!! And pop-up folders!! And a desktop with columns that space correctly, and filenames that truncate correctly, and open/save dialogs that remember where you were the last time, and WYSIWYG, &C. AD NAUSEUM! Give me a break. Now they're putting crappy LCD's on the $2500 computers that they hype beforehand as such a great technology, meanwhile it's not even a 64-bit 'top. Well, you got to pony up for the top-of-the-line 17" to get the good screen, man. That's just the way it is, get over it! Just like with the iMacs: the only one with a decent display is the 24". The rest are grainy, sparkly peices of S#$.

-=DG=-

otispunkmeyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Middlesbrough UK
wont this yellow tint go away with time?

im not sure how they make white LED's but i think they used to be pumped up blue diodes that were so bright they looked white.

is it possible that over time they might settle down? perhaps to a more blue-ish hue?

otispunkmeyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Middlesbrough UK
You guys are all TARDS. Apple makes all their laptops in China. Get a CRT external display and quit whining! What do you expect, Apple is going to put decent parts in their computers? They don't give a crap about their computers anymore. As long as they keep selling songs and pods they are happy. The new OS is a joke. Did you see it? It's not even half the interface OS 9 was. Where's the control strip? I've been waiting since 10.0 for a damn control strip!!! And pop-up folders!! And a desktop with columns that space correctly, and filenames that truncate correctly, and open/save dialogs that remember where you were the last time, and WYSIWYG, &C. AD NAUSEUM! Give me a break. Now they're putting crappy LCD's on the $2500 computers that they hype beforehand as such a great technology, meanwhile it's not even a 64-bit 'top. Well, you got to pony up for the top-of-the-line 17" to get the good screen, man. That's just the way it is, get over it! Just like with the iMacs: the only one with a decent display is the 24". The rest are grainy, sparkly peices of S#$.

-=DG=-

i see what your getting at, given my experience with shipping so far it appears apple really get on with doing things a cheaply as possible....and then charging the earth. they must make huge profits on computers

the computers are at least 64bit (conroe/merom are 64bit capable) but the OS isnt, your right

the screens is an annoyance, but you are correct, thats the way it is. all laptop panels are rubbishy 6bit TN's poor colours and poor viewing angles. any pro worth his salt wouldnt think twce about using a display like that for anything other than recreational use.

it is shocking that such displays end up in pro products, but there is really no other choice. if you have any kind of inkling for quality visuals you'll have a proper external display, preferably a big CRT (though 8bit LCD's would be ok) that is calibrated properly

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
i see what your getting at, given my experience with shipping so far it appears apple really get on with doing things a cheaply as possible....and then charging the earth. they must make huge profits on computers

the computers are at least 64bit (conroe/merom are 64bit capable) but the OS isnt, your right

the screens is an annoyance, but you are correct, thats the way it is. all laptop panels are rubbishy 6bit TN's poor colours and poor viewing angles. any pro worth his salt wouldnt think twce about using a display like that for anything other than recreational use.

it is shocking that such displays end up in pro products, but there is really no other choice. if you have any kind of inkling for quality visuals you'll have a proper external display, preferably a big CRT (though 8bit LCD's would be ok) that is calibrated properly

What are you guys talking about? These screens are awesome!

iW00t™

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
you went through 10 MBP's?? Do they just take them back with no problems? Do you do this in the apple store or by mail? at least they were willing to exchange for you.

I bought them from amazon and at the apple store. They were either returned for replacements or refunds. yes, the apple store kept taking them back, though once or twice I had to speak with a manager to get it done. All in all, it was NOT an enjoyable experience and, if I can, I look forward to keeping this one for a long time!

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia

-=DG=-

Stop trolling.

OS9 was crap. I hate OS9 every time I boot into it.
The LED screens on the 15" MBPs are apparently great. Better than CCFL. And I believe it, and can't wait to get one.

The idea that Apple use crappy parts in the MBP is laughable. If they didn't use good parts, they would still have CCFL backlit screens, and would still be running off the Napa platform, with the X1600. But they aren't. And they don't. They use good parts. These problems with the screen will all be gone in a few weeks once Apple identifies and remedies the cause.

On a side note, are we sure the screens are still 6 bit?

seo2000

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
I have the yellow tint on my screen whenever i look at it at another angle other than straight on. It was really irritating me and i'd i'd only had it about 12 hours, I'd been waiting all week for it to arrive. I rang apple this morning about it and they are sending me a replacement, hopefully that will be much better! If anyone is wanting to exchange it, they were really good about it on the phone and had no problems giving me a replacement straight away.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I have the yellow tint on my screen whenever i look at it at another angle other than straight on. It was really irritating me and i'd i'd only had it about 12 hours, I'd been waiting all week for it to arrive. I rang apple this morning about it and they are sending me a replacement, hopefully that will be much better! If anyone is wanting to exchange it, they were really good about it on the phone and had no problems giving me a replacement straight away.

See? Problem solved.
It seems all that half the people on this forum do is bitch about how their new computer isn't perfect, and how they should have bought a Dell. The reality is that Apple is more than willing to replace units that have legitimate issues, such as inconsistent colour. People need to get it replaced, and then get over it, and stop whining.

Whoa. I feel better already.

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
It seems as though Apple knows about the problem, and I'm sure they're working on fixing it. Everyone should call them and get a replacement so they know it's affected about half of the SR MBPs.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
See? Problem solved.
It seems all that half the people on this forum do is bitch about how their new computer isn't perfect, and how they should have bought a Dell. The reality is that Apple is more than willing to replace units that have legitimate issues, such as inconsistent colour. People need to get it replaced, and then get over it, and stop whining.

Whoa. I feel better already.

yes, apple is willing to replace, but that doesn't mean that the replacement will be different. Apple replaced many for me (and also tried replacing LCDs), but, because they didn't have any themselves, they never were able to get me a screen with even backlight and no grain.

In any case, this yellow tint thing is not as big as it's made out to be. Seriously - it's only an issue under certain circumstances. The screen is still beautiful, bright, grainless and even illuminated.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Can you even tell the difference between an 8 bit screen and a 6 bit dithered screen?

Yes. For darker colors, it's very noticeable. Ask anyone who prepares images for print — there's no way such job can be done with a 6bit display. One really *needs* a good S-IPS panel for the job.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Yes. For darker colors, it's very noticeable. Ask anyone who prepares images for print — there's no way such job can be done with a 6bit display. One really *needs* a good S-IPS panel for the job.

So, basically, if you intend to do professional graphics and photo work, it will piss you off, so get an external monitor, but if you're programming, using Cad, games and various other normal "civilian" things such as word processing, internet, music and watching DVDs you'd never notice?

And by noticeable, do you mean the colours will look different on the 6 bit dithered screen when compared to a 8, 10 or 12 bit screen, or that you can actually see the colours rapidly switching back and forth?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.