SS Series 3 or Series 4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ILowry82, Nov 16, 2018.

1. ILowry82 macrumors 6502

I can get a pristine condition series 3 SS for $325. Should I get that or a brand new aluminum series 4?

2. caelius macrumors 6502

caelius

The 4 is a way better watch overall. Wouldn't bother with the 3...

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would ask yourself is there anything that you remotely like more about the Series 3 then you do the Series 4? Why wouldn’t you consider just upgrading to the newest Apple Watch?

4. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Series 4 is mostly aesthetics, save for a few different internals. If money’s no worry, the 4. If yr not into that price hike, the 3.

5. techspin macrumors 6502a

6. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I’d argue it’s the other way around. The S3 is the fancy SS version, whereas the comparison is to a normal S4 which gives much faster processor and a larger screen.

So if it’s about aesthetics, get the SS S3.

It’s a good price for a SS model but as someone who went from an (aluminium) S3 to an S4 I think the larger screen is going to be a bigger benefit long term.

7. brentc133 macrumors member

I actually returned my AW4 Nike LTE and bought a pristine used AW3 SS and I’m very happy with my decision. I watched several YouTube speed comparisons between AW3 and AW4 and it was not that significant of a difference. To me the fall detection and EKG are gimmicks that I would not make use of after the initial intro period. I still prefer the shape of the AW3. Only thing I miss is the AW4 bigger screen with bigger icons but I don’t notice it much anymore. To me the SS and sapphire were most important and I wasn’t willing to spend over $1000 CDN to have that in the AW4 version. Maybe next year I will upgrade to a used AW4 SS. I used to always buy the newest and greatest but Apples continuous price increases have gone too far for me to accept anymore.

8. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Oh yeah. I didn't see that it was SS vs Sport. Personally, at 325 the SS model is still the better buy... It is a lot heavier though.

9. ILowry82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah SS version for the series 3. That’s why I’m torn

10. KrisLord macrumors 65816

What do you have now? And how long would you keep it for?

I’ve had S0 S1 S3 and S4 all aluminium space grey.

If I’d gone for SS I’d not have been able to upgrade every year.

Whilst I suggested the S4 I think my view is biased towards the better hardware.

The S3 is great and the SS an added luxury.

11. Iceberg33 macrumors newbie

Iceberg33

I was debating the same and I ended up getting 42mm SS space black new for $479.

12. JulesK macrumors 6502

If you already had the S3, then I would tell you not to spend the money to upgrade, and instead wait until next year and the S5 (or whatever they call it). (I say this even though I did upgrade from a S3, but functionally, they virtually the same for me.) But if you are choosing a first Watch, then I recommend getting the S4 unless you already have a bunch of bands you like that don't go well with an aluminum Watch. The S4 is just a nicer experience, and likely won't feel as outdated next year (v. the S5) as the S3 does to the S4 this year, because of significant design change and upgraded internals.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

At the same price, I’d say the series 4. At $325 vs $400 (or $500 for the LTE, which the series 3 has), I’d go with the series 3.

Series 4 got a lot of hype when it was released but I’m not sure why. it adds very little besides a bigger screen and a faster processor (not that the series 3 is slow). EKG and fall detection will never be used by 99.9% of people and shouldn’t factor into your decision unless you know you have a medical condition that makes one of those things relevant.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What’s interesting though, I was at my carrier store earlier today and I was talking to a few customers while waiting to be assisted, and they were wearing the Series 4 Apple Watch. And I asked them what they liked about their Series 4 Apple Watch and both of them had said that they wanted a larger display. So I think the larger display is more relevant than you think, when Apple actually increased the display by 30%.

So when a customer sees form factor changes, and in this case a larger display, they see it as something that they might appreciate more than software features like EKG/fall detection.

15. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

Im also considering this coz a local seller offering a grey ceramic s3 with applecare plus same price as series 4 aluminum.....

Decisions decisions

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Why would you want a Series 3 when you already own a Series 4 from reading your previous posts? Genuinely curious.

17. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

I returned mine due to some issues..

18. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

I could never get past that giant red dot on the Digital Crown on the SS Series 3 models. One of the uglier aesthetic choices Apple has made on a product in recent memory in my opinion. I’d opt for the Series 4 if it were me.

19. brentc133 macrumors member

I bought the stick on black watch dot and now I have a SS with black crown which looks nicer than the AW4 SS crown.

20. abdulkar.im, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018

abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

I’m waiting for the S5 too. I have the S3 Edition and the fact the S4 doesn’t come in ceramic is a bummer. Also, lots of people seem to be having issues, so would rather wait for the next revision and production issues to be ironed out.

21. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

Anyone with a Gold SS series 4 hows the finish holding up considering going from my Edition series 3 white ceramic only asking because i used to own a Gold plated SS series 1 from De Billas and the finish wore off from were the watch contacted my wrist not wanting to spend the money on a series 4 if it's going to do the same thing thanks for your input.
    tridley@iltech.org

22. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

I’m hoping the S5 has an always on display for the time.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t think ceramic will be offered again with the Apple Watch. I think it was generally to high of a cost and it really wasn’t meant to be for the average consumer, where is the aluminum model is at the top of the hierarchy. I do think Apple will add another type of casing option in the future, it’s difficult to say what it is, even though they did add to gold stainless, I would still like to see titanium.

24. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

I would be all over titanium!

25. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I bought an aluminum Series 4 cuz there were no steels available at the time.

Now I’d say, I’d rather have a stainless steel Series 3 than an aluminum Series 4.