SSD.. 57 Replies! Thanks All!! Anyone Else??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sharkzfanz, Mar 2, 2010.

?

Which Drive is best choice considering both performance and price?

1. $285.58 After Rebate: OCZSSD2-1AGT120G

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. $339.99 After Rebate: OCZSSD2-1VTX120G

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. $359.99 After Rebate: OCZSSD2-1VTXT120G

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. $404.58 After Rebate: OCZSSD2-1VTXA120G

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. $419.99: SSDSA2MH160G2C1

43 vote(s)
    66.2%
  6. Other (Please Specify In Thread Below)

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. sharkzfanz macrumors regular

** VIEWERS!! IF YOU HAVE AN EDUCATED OPIONION PLEASE VOTE.. ONLY COMMENT IF YOU HAVE TIME!! **

I have decided based on all of you to buy an SSD and install it myself into my new MBP and not order it from Apple directly.

I am deciding between:

$285.58 After Rebate: OCZ Technology 120 GB Agility Series SATA II 2.5 Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) OCZSSD2-1AGT120G

$339.99 After Rebate: OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex Series SATA II Solid State Drive (Black) OCZSSD2-1VTX120G

$359.99 After Rebate: OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex Turbo Series SATA II 2.5 Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) OCZSSD2-1VTXT120G

$404.58 After Rebate: OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex Series Mac Edition SATA II 2.5 Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) OCZSSD2-1VTXA120G

$419.99: Intel 160 GB X25M Mainstream SATA II MLC Solid State Drive (SSD) Bare/OEM Package SSDSA2MH160G2C1

If you have another suggestion please list it. I am looking for 128GB to 200GB but in the price range above.

The C300 new drive is not in my options since $499 for 100GB is not justifiable compared to the jump in performance. If it was the $399 it was thought to be before release I would get it but not at $499.

2. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I don't think, unless your data is running on a clock, you need anything above the base 120GB model. You're not gettin any more storage, so why would you pay $100 more or even $60 more just to have "faster" speeds if you do not theoretically need faster speeds? I am sure the "Agility" speed is fast enough for most people. Considering it is an SSD, it's going to be fast in general.

Buy 2 120GBs before buying one 160GB in my opinion.

3. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

I agree but since I know nothing I want to poll everyone and see if anything says dont get it...

Thanks!

3 Motr votes received thanks!!! They were for intel and I am not sure if they jumped on the band wagon or know something hehe

4. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

If you read the anandtech articles, he is quick to note that the turbo and mac editions are a waste of money compared to the base ocz models. General consensous says ocz is better bang for your buck while the intel drives offer the absolute best performance.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

160GB intel G2 is a whole lotta good.

its very fast, i will never buy from any other manf.

its worth every penny in my books, im thinking of another and doing a raid 0 in the 13" mbp.

6. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

I have seen that but alternativly I have seen anandtech reviews which are extreamly biased and off kilter so I decided to post them in the poll for everyone...

Thanks for your 2 cents

I can see where you are coming from but whole lotta good is something I have a concern about.. A statement like that seems quite biased.. I mean are we saying intel is 100% and Agility is 85%? Thats not a whole lotta in my book hehe...

I know intel is the best but justify the price difference please? Can you? Without saying its better hehe.

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I would take the OCZ Vertex 120GB for $340.
    My Vertex 60GB is running nicely in my MB since March 2009 (that's almost a year now).
    Look at my signature :D

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Sorry voted for other
    meant to vote for this one:
    $419.99: Intel 160 GB X25M Mainstream SATA II MLC Solid State Drive (SSD) Bare/OEM Package SSDSA2MH160G2C1

9. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

LOL I was thinking who the &%#* votes for other and then says nothing.. HEHE.. No issue sounds like over whelming for intel.. Im glad to hear everyones thoughts.

I will leave this open another day just to get as many as possible incase there is a swing...

Basically Intel is $134.41 more then the lowest one.. Wanna make sure the performance I gain is worth $134.41.

10. aeronauticsrock macrumors member

Go with the poll, get the intel, I have one and LOVE it. Would never get anything different.

Edit: I got mine on ebay, brand new for $345 after bing cashback, so you can get good deals if you look around!

11. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

but also 32 more GB. Makes the $/GB alot more reasonable, not to mention you're counting the mail in rebate, which at best case is a hassle, and worst case you never see it. (OCZ is known for horrible rebate redemption)

12. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

$$ Per GB is good option but if not using is something too...

I am not worried about rebates... I will send in and if after following and giving time stated time to pass plus 2 weeks if nothing comes I will charge back that exact amount with AMEX.

13. (Kahn) macrumors newbie

I've been using an Agility 120GB in my MBP 13" for the past couple months and it's pretty awesome. Very speedy, no problems. You won't notice the difference between an OSZ drive and an Intel during your normal routine.

14. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

storage is like money. The more you have the more you spend. Some day that extra 32GB will come into play :)

I'm in the same boat as you btw, going to be getting a new SSD when the new mbp's come out, need somewhere between 100GB-200GB for my main drive. Going to hold off to see the mbp specs first though, if it will have SATA 3, and then decide. If the MBP woudl have come out today, I would have gotten the 160GB Intel. It's in my newegg shopping cart as I type this...but if Apple delays the MBP much longer, we might end up seeing a whole slew of new offerings and prices :)

p.s. it's a personal choice, since I remember years ago when OCZ was synonymous with shady and they were selling ***** memory, I just couldn't bring myself to buy their products even to this day.

15. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

How much on new egg? $429.99 OEM on Amazon.. I saw $499.99 on New Egg but dont see why I would get the retail box.. That one is $497 on amazon.

16. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

$429 at the egg too for the oem, and I have some gift certificates from them as well which is the only reason I'd got there instead of Amazon where I get free 2 day shipping.

17. loyrun macrumors newbie

18. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

yea forgot about that plus. If and when you do upgrade it again, you can always use it as an external drive.

19. loyrun macrumors newbie

or use the old 250 GB coming out as a backup...

20. sharkzfanz thread starter macrumors regular

So whatever drive I remove from the MBP can go in the enclosure right?

Well since it is $10 more then amazon and $37 in taxes for me no go for new egg.. I bought a similar enclosure onsale at micro center for under $10..

21. vant macrumors 65816

The fact that OCZ makes a 'mac' edition of a product to try and charge more is retarded. I'd avoid them on that basis alone.

22. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

That "retarded" edition means that OCZ can put an official Mac sticker on the drive. I think there are some fees to Apple involved for this (also that some Apple guy "officially" tested the drive and said it's alright to use in a Mac).
    That is called the "Apple Tax". :D

But I agree with you that the whole idea is stupid, as the normal Vertex and the Mac vertex is the exact same drive besides a sticker.

23. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

I agree. I recently asked the question on the Mushkin forums since they also have a mac version of DDR3 with seemingly identical specs (but for $30 more). The support guy claims that the programming of the sticks differs. I'm calling shens on that...but regardless, I'll just choose not to purchase SSD's or memory from companies offering "Mac" versions. Intel seems to have a winner, and for some reason they don't seem to need a "Mac" version....shame too, cause I really like Mushkin and have heard some nice stuff about their SSD's and I've always been a big fan of their memory in my PC's.

24. gothamm macrumors 6502a

why do you need 50 results?

isnt it obvious from the responses that people prefer the intel?

this seems like shameless thread advertisement.

25. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Can not agree more though I can totally see how this idea came up. G/f currently overseas and I got her a new MBP(ordered from Apple online store for the country she is in) for valentines day with SSD. Also got her a 500GB external drive and first problem she ran into was saying she can't write to the WD external.

Its obvious to us that it was formatted in NTFS, but for some they simply do not know how to fix this.