SSD Boot times...wow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeusInvictus7, May 5, 2010.

1. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

So I just received my Corsair V128 SSD earlier today and have loaded all my stuff over and got it all set up. I ran some tests and I seem to be averaging about 240MB/s seq. reads and 190MB/s seq. writes, and peaking at about 260MB/s read and 205MB/s write, which is just about what Corsair advertises.

I wanted to run some sort of test to see how fast this thing would boot up, and I thought of a pretty good one. I remembered that the iPhone 3GS is pretty quick at booting up (about 30 sec) so I decided to match them up against each other. Turned both of them off for a few min, and pressed the power button on both.

Result? The SSD was actually quicker at booting than the iPhone by about 5 seconds, and it even had enough time for me to type in my password and get to a fully usable desktop before the iPhone got to the lockscreen. Very impressive.

Just thought I'd share. It made me feel better about my purchase. :D

2. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

You make me wanna buy an SSD so badly. Lol but I don't have the money to buy one that's at least 200Gb =(
    I have enough for around 100Gb but I need the extra 100Gb. Oh well congrats. I'll just wait a few more years till SSD prices drop some more ;)

3. Akira81386 macrumors newbie

I love my SSD. From pressing the power button to the OS X desktop it takes me 16 seconds!

4. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

5. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

LOL just for kicks really. I wanted something unconventional since I didn't have a second computer at the time to compare it to. When I can, I'll compare it to my dad's white MacBook with a 160GB 5400RPM drive and see the difference.

6. minik macrumors 65816

It does shorten the boot time by a mile. I BTO the previous generation 13-inch MBP with a 128GB SSD from Apple and the boot time was ~6 seconds.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Nice :]
    You guys really make me want to buy an SSD -_-

8. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow 6 seconds? Was that just after the OS X install? Mine right now has 80GB used up so its already been written too quite a bit for the first day.

9. tekmoe macrumors 68000

A buddy of mine installed an older 32gb SSD in his C2D 2.16 MBP. We started both of our computers at the same and his still booted quicker than mine by at least 5 seconds. I can't even begin to imagine how fast the new SSD's are!

10. Akira81386 macrumors newbie

If I time when the little circle ticker starts below the Apple logo then it boots to the desktop in about 8 seconds. From a black off screen and the timer starts as I'm pushing the power button = 16 seconds. Can't go back to regular hard drives now

11. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah same, I can never go back to a normal hard drive now. I was actually gonna spring for the X25-M, but went for the Corsair instead to save a bit of money. I'll probably upgrade in a year or something when prices come down for larger capacities.

12. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

This is getting me really excited. I ordered my 15inch i7 w/ a 7200rpm 500GB HDD and it should be coming tomorrow. But I'm planning to remove the optical drive and replace it with an SSD (in an opti-bay). I got the Intel X25-M 160GB SSD.

Hopefully I can install OSX on the SSD and get the system to boot from the Opti-bay, which people have been saying is possible.

I look forward to my core system being on the SSD and my multi-media being on the HDD when I need it.

13. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

I've read somewhere that its hard to make it put from the optibay and you need mess with some setting through another program to make it boot from optibay because people were asking this guy that did a DIY version and spliced some wires together to save $$ and bought an external USB powered superdrive and put his HDD in the opti place and the SSD in the stock place. People were questioning his move that the Rotating drive would be in better place if contained within the stock protective place because it is more sensitive to vibrations and such. He replied he couldnt boot from the optibay...but I am sure you will be able to find your answer with some searches and a solution.

14. minik macrumors 65816

Fresh out of the box with iWork '09 and auto log-in, so the drive wasn't even 30% utilized.

15. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

SSD is the way to go. I just upgraded my second drive to 500GB. Best of both worlds :D

16. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

SSD is super fast :D really cool and truly worth it :cool:

17. gagaliya macrumors 6502

wait did i read it wrong, or did you just say it took 25 sec to boot up osx? if that's the case you have some serious issues with your ssd.

Mine boots up osx in a few sec literally. Windows 7 does take 30 sec from button push to fully loaded. I have the intel x-25m g2.

18. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I think there is a typo in this post, it can't be 6 seconds. Not physically possible.

Either its decrease by 6 seconds, or shut down in 6 seconds, but not cold boot in 6 seconds. Not with a disk with apps and login items. It takes 6 seconds for an external drive to be recognized by the computer when you plug it in.

I have an Intel X-25M G2 160GB and its WICKED fast. Boots in exactly 19 seconds to desktop and opens all login items in background, eg. Skype, Twitteriffic, Things, Safari and menu bar elements. Apps launch instantaneously without any delay at all. The dock icons bounce just once. MBP shuts down in around 3.5 seconds. Comparing this to a traditional HDD, the difference in experience is grand.

19. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I just don't understand the logic here, you payed a few hundred dollars to be able to turn your computer on faster?

20. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

No, you pay a few hundred dollars to get extremely fast system performance, a silent drive without moving parts that's far more durable to shocks, vibration, temperature and altitude extrema than mechanical hard drives so you don't worry about when your drive will die after its natural lifespan (when the drive does die your data still remains recoverable), for its low power consumption and consistent read capability.

Did I mention extreme performance ? You really need to check out some YouTube videos that show it. If you're looking for overall speed, SSD is the BEST upgrade you can get for your computer.

21. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Lot's of great reasons to have a screaming fast SSD. For me though, boot time isn't one of them. I rarely restart my computers (Mac or PC). Generally I just sleep the device so "boot time" is almost zero. :D

I reboot machines only when patches make me and have gone months without a reboot many times.

22. ApexLee macrumors newbie

I've just received my 13" MBP with a 128GB Samsung SSD... boot times are amazingly fast and loading up programs is pretty instant. I don't have to wait for anything :D

23. bzshutter macrumors newbie

Agreed. You pay a few hundred dollars to increase the general overall responsiveness of your computer. This is especially beneficial in a laptop where the HD is usually much slower than desktop HD's. The computer will feel much faster as if everything was permanently cached in the RAM. The boot time is just a bonus. :)

24. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I think there may be something wrong with my ssd, at least in the boot time aspect. Launching apps are almost instant, requiring 2 bounces max (stupid iTunes). And with benchmark tests I seem to be achieving the advertised speeds, and actually more at some points.

Booting though takes a bit long compared to what I kind of expect from it. I'm gonna run a few more tests to see if there is anything wrong.

If anyone knows any hints or tips to get my drive booting as expected, that would be greatly appreciated.

25. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

I so wish I could get an ssd but storage size (300+Gb) is way to expensive right now.