Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I did it.

I bought the 2.5" Samsung 850 Evo 250Gb, cloned my mac onto it, and installed it in my mid-2010 MBP.

The speed improvement is enormous, it's pretty close to the speed as when I first got it.

Thank you to everyone for suggesting it. It cose me AUD $180 all up, including a SATA-USB adapter.

What did you have before? Spindle drive or smaller SSD?

snifferdogx

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
What did you have before? Spindle drive or smaller SSD?

Before I had a 250GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive.

It had gotten progressively slower and slower with each OS X update, and I'd almost gotten used to it.

However, with Yosemite and also the MS Office 2016 Preview it became apparent that I needed a serious upgrade to a SSD.

Probably the cheapest and best upgrade I've ever done.

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
Just installed a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD in my ageing early 2011 13" MacBook Pro and it really has given it a new lease of life. This thing flies! Love it :)

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Just installed a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD in my ageing early 2011 13" MacBook Pro and it really has given it a new lease of life. This thing flies! Love it :)

Yes, it flies compared to a spindle drive, but my 2010 scrolls very slowly esp for graphics heavy websites. At that point, I think the achilles heal is the graphics performance.

snifferdogx

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
As an aside, I never paid much attention to the CPU heat apart from when the bottom of the MBP got hot - I usually have it on my lap or belly whilst lying on the couch.

Since the SSD upgrade I've installed the Macs Fan Control and the temp, even when doing nothing is usually hovering in the low-mid 50s C.

Is this a normal temp or does the SSD generate a bit more CPU processing thereby increasing the temp?

I've checked on Activity Monitor and there is nothing going on in the background that would be causing this, nothing that's there that wasn't there before the SSD upgrade.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Is this a normal temp or does the SSD generate a bit more CPU processing thereby increasing the temp?

- Completely normal. Mine is 60 C right now, and I've just woken it from sleep.
The SSD won't make anything run hotter than your HDD. If anything, it'll generate less heat.

nickbw

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
MackBook Pro Mid 2010 2.66GHz processor and 8GB RAM with Hitachi 500GB Hybrid drive. I have two Evo 850 SSD's and they have been very good but I find my present drive is by far the quickest and best value for money, it is also the largest storage capacity I have , although there is a 1 terabyte Hitachi drive for a very small extra cost. You are wrong about RAM, although there are indeed only two slots, it has been found that many 13" MBP's will support 16GB not 8GB as maximum. The downside, as ever is cost as 16GB (2x8GB) is £££ $$$ !

sir.riel

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
Cambodia
Transcend ssd370

does anyone have this running in their MBP system? any issues? I've read that some people have issues with cloning apps, but i plan to stick with the system's migration assistant program, I never had an issue before.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
MackBook Pro Mid 2010 2.66GHz processor and 8GB RAM with Hitachi 500GB Hybrid drive. I have two Evo 850 SSD's and they have been very good but I find my present drive is by far the quickest and best value for money, it is also the largest storage capacity I have , although there is a 1 terabyte Hitachi drive for a very small extra cost. You are wrong about RAM, although there are indeed only two slots, it has been found that many 13" MBP's will support 16GB not 8GB as maximum. The downside, as ever is cost as 16GB (2x8GB) is £££ $$$ !
Only mid 2010 MBP (or MB) that has the identifier MacBookPro7,1 (About This Mac>System Report>Model Identifier) will take 16GB, all other 2010 MBPs, it will not work. This is the only kit that I know of that will actually work, which I finally got, no issues whatsoever: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/8566DDR3S16P/ (I have the 2.4GHz 13").

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Software Storage in the Fusion Drive

I'm still pretty much new to the Mac Computer World and OS X. So, please accept my apologies in advance for any ignorancies in the questions below.

1) Assuming you have a Fusion Drive in your Mac (a desktop Mini or iMac), where is the OS X software stored?
2) Where are the folders like Documents, Movies, Apps, Photos, Music and more important, all the storage files of Apple's own Mail app stored?
3) If we download a third party Mail Software (say, Thunderbird), where are the relative folders stored?
4) Assuming the answers to 2 & 3 will be "in the Fusion Drive", is it possible to move large (storage) folders mentioned above, to the mechanical HDD and leave only the apps related operational folders in the FD section? (This you can do in Windows, at the least, for the Mail related apps. You can leave the software in "C" drive, but move the storage folders to "D"... in Outlook or Thunderbird!)

Thanks

:cool:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
The answer to all your questions is : The fusion drive combines both an SSD and mechanical hard drive into a single logical drive with the space of both drives combined. OS X automatically manages the contents of the fusion drive so the most frequently accessed files (be they system files, applications, documents, photos or other data) are stored on the faster SSD storage, while infrequently used items move to or stay on the hard drive.

The answer to the question you were just about to ask is : You can't locate specific files/folders on either the SSD or mechanical hard drive. It just works.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Now that NAND Flash tech is moving towards 3D (Vertical) wondering if they'll make aftermarket drives for the rMBP. Still can't believe no one makes an aftermarket drive for these machines.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
The answer to all your questions is : The fusion drive combines both an SSD and mechanical hard drive into a single logical drive with the space of both drives combined. OS X automatically manages the contents of the fusion drive so the most frequently accessed files (be they system files, applications, documents, photos or other data) are stored on the faster SSD storage, while infrequently used items move to or stay on the hard drive.

The answer to the question you were just about to ask is : You can't locate specific files/folders on either the SSD or mechanical hard drive. It just works.

I currently have approx. 45GB data on Apple's Mail app Folder plus another 18GB data on Thunderbird app Folder in my rMBP. These are increasing day by day; as I have to save and store most of my incoming and almost all of the outgoing mail. Plus I have another 15-16GB in the Documents folder, also slowly increasing... I have a further 50GB of music in my PC. This also will be increasing gradually.

So, let's assume I buy a new Mac Mini with the 1TB FD. Can I transfer all the contents of Apple Mail. Thunderbird, Documents as well as iTunes contents to this 1TB drive (actually: ..."to the flash storage part of the 1TB drive") and keep on using these apps without any constraints? (AFAIK, the FD has only a 120-128B flash storage...) Or some of these folders need to stay in the mechanical HDD part of the drive?:confused:

Thank you.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
It's one drive to the end user of 1TB + 128GB. You just copy the data across, OS X sorts out which data to place on the SSD for faster access.

As grahamperrin was trying to suggest, there might be a more appropriate thread for the Fusion drive rather than asking in the dedicated SSD thread.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
So should I stick it out with the MX200 or will there be a major speed difference if I got the 850 Pro?

- The 850 Pro is completely overkill for that machine. Even the MX200 is. You can only take advantage of about half their speed on that SATA II machine.

RnR

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Mbp ssd

MBP 15inch early 2011
2.2 i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3
OSX 10.10.3
Installed Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Astonishing difference
Absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Could that be a problem though? Or is the speed just going to be very limited?

- It's not a problem at all. Everything will be just fine with either drive. You just won't be able to take full advantage of them, so you might as well have saved some money and gotten something cheaper, like the crucial BX100.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Just recently upgraded my sisters mid 2012 13" MBP with a 500GB 850 Evo. After she used it for 5 minutes she was extremly excited about how fast her computer was.

I'd suggest a SSD as an upgrade to anyone with a traditional HDD.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Now that NAND Flash tech is moving towards 3D (Vertical) wondering if they'll make aftermarket drives for the rMBP. Still can't believe no one makes an aftermarket drive for these machines.

It's super annoying. I really want to upgrade the paltry 256GB SSD in my late-2013 rMBP :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.