Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Just a quick question: my HDD died and I will buy an SSD. However, how can I boot the Mac with a blank SSD? Do I have to buy an external box to connect it first to a computer and download something?

You can use Internet Recovery to pull down a OS X installer - if I remember correctly, it will install the original OS that came with your computer, and then you can grab the latest installer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just a quick question: my HDD died and I will buy an SSD. However, how can I boot the Mac with a blank SSD? Do I have to buy an external box to connect it first to a computer and download something?

Your mid-2010 model is on this list, so if you install the new drive then hold command-option-r to boot to Internet recovery you will be able to format the drive and install the OS version that came from the factory.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Your mid-2010 model is on this list, so if you install the new drive then hold command-option-r to boot to Internet recovery you will be able to format the drive and install the OS version that came from the factory.

That will only work if the OP has made the firmware update previously if you read the info in your link.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That will only work if the OP has made the firmware update previously if you read the info in your link.

Yes, I realize that. There is no reason to think he would not have applied the firmware update that showed up in software updates years ago now, so I think it is reasonable to assume it was done.

bfirestone

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2015
Hey guys, so I've decided to upgrade my early 2011 15" MBP to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD.

What's the recommended way to recover your data? I have an external I could boot Time Machine from, but I wasn't sure how that would work on a completely new HD. Just wondering what the initial set-up is like.

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What's the recommended way to recover your data? I have an external I could boot Time Machine from, but I wasn't sure how that would work on a completely new HD. Just wondering what the initial set-up is like.

The TM disk will work perfectly. Just option key boot to it then use Disk Util to format the new disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click restore.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Yes, I realize that. There is no reason to think he would not have applied the firmware update that showed up in software updates years ago now, so I think it is reasonable to assume it was done.

Do Firmware updates come as part of the normal software updates on Macs? (I might still be locked in my Windows machine thinking where software and firmware updates are two completely different things, where firmware updates never happen automatically but always have to be user initiated)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do Firmware updates come as part of the normal software updates on Macs? (I might still be locked in my Windows machine thinking where software and firmware updates are two completely different things, where firmware updates never happen automatically but always have to be user initiated)

Yes... they just show up on the software update list just like anything else.

----------

I was running Yosemite, btw. And yeah, i confirm that internet recovery does work.

Oh good. So you are all fixed up?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Any reason not to go with the Crucial MX200 for my 2010 MBP?

- Not to my knowledge. Except for the fact that you won't be able to achieve its full speeds, since your MBP only supports SATA II. It's a pretty solid drive from what I've heard, and Crucial has an excellent reputation. You may want to consider the slightly cheaper and slightly better reviewed Samsung 850 EVO, though. Or if you want to get something truly great (but more expensive), the Samsung 850 Pro - though that may be overkill.

For reviews, Anandtech has one of the Micron M600 which is the OEM version of the MX200. Their conclusions were a bit mixed.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
- Not to my knowledge. Except for the fact that you won't be able to achieve its full speeds, since your MBP only supports SATA II. It's a pretty solid drive from what I've heard, and Crucial has an excellent reputation. You may want to consider the slightly cheaper and slightly better reviewed Samsung 850 EVO, though. Or if you want to get something truly great (but more expensive), the Samsung 850 Pro - though that may be overkill.

For reviews, Anandtech has one of the Micron M600 which is the OEM version of the MX200. Their conclusions were a bit mixed.

Thanks. If I won't get the advantage of performance, would I be better off getting the BX100?

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
SATA is backwards compatible, so you can take any new SATA SSD and pop it in there and it will work. The Crucial MX200 is very competitively priced also if you want an alternative.

No sign of MX200 in my country. MX100 is a tad more expensive than M500, so I got the latter at 480GB for around $195 late last month. Couldn't wait any longer due to the implementation of regressive tax system earlier this month, jacking it up to $215.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 144

gioinnj

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2015
ssd for mb pro with retina display mid 2012

I am sure this has been asked dozens of times and sorry for repeating. i am looking for a ssd update for my mb pro with retina display mid 2012. can you please point to thread where the compatibility to this model and replacement instructions will be discussed. thanks a lot.

will this be compatible? and would you advice this it?
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive #MZ-75E1T0B/AM

Last edited:

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I am sure this has been asked dozens of times and sorry for repeating. i am looking for a ssd update for my mb pro with retina display mid 2012. can you please point to thread where the compatibility to this model and replacement instructions will be discussed. thanks a lot.

will this be compatible? and would you advice this it?
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive #MZ-75E1T0B/AM

You do know that 2.5" form factor SSD is NOT compatible with retina MacBook Pro that uses SSD blade, don't you...? You need something like this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-2012-Drive-Internal-Flash

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Reposting this in the more dedicated thread.

I've got a MBP Retina, and my built-in SSD is pretty tapped out. I'm a little tired of clever swapping of files in and out, so I'm looking to upgrade the SSD. The issue is which drive to go with:

The JetDrive 725, the OWC Aura or the OWC Aura Pro. I'm looking for performance, but I don't work with video files or anything like that - my really intensive I/O operations tend to be very large text-like files, like CSVs. But the drive must be encrypted with something like Filevault 2, which I know can potentially mess with drive performance.

So basically, which of these drives should I be looking at, especially between the Aura and Aura Pro?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Reposting this in the more dedicated thread.

I've got a MBP Retina, and my built-in SSD is pretty tapped out. I'm a little tired of clever swapping of files in and out, so I'm looking to upgrade the SSD. The issue is which drive to go with

- Just be aware that the Auras (or any other SSD upgrade besides original Apple parts) won't work with models that are newer than Early 2013.

reeveah

Suspended
Oct 23, 2008
Hi,

Gotten the 480gb mx500 a couple months ago during sale.

May I know if this will fit in the 2015 new rMBP 13inch?

If so, I'll be saving a lot having no need to reconfigure the rMBP to a higher spec.

Thanks!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Hi,

Gotten the 480gb mx500 a couple months ago during sale.

May I know if this will fit in the 2015 new rMBP 13inch?

If so, I'll be saving a lot having no need to reconfigure the rMBP to a higher spec.

Thanks!

- It will not. The Retina MacBook Pros use an entirely different form factor for their SSDs.
Currently, there are no third party upgrades available for rMBPs newer than Early 2013. Original Apple SSDs do sometimes appear on Ebay, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.