Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I'm looking to purchase a SSD about 250GB for my 13" MBP. I've read tons of threads on which is good and bad. It appears everyone has their faults. I was set on the Intel 510, but it seems like that is not the best choice for the money out there. Then the OCZ Vertex 3 appears to be the favorite among these boards. But what about something like a Samsung 470? It that close to what Apple puts in their BTO? What concerns me is spending several hundred dollars and not getting the results I was expecting. Any information would help me out alot.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
How can I find the bus speed? My CPU has the 6 gig sata on both the hdd and optical drive.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
The Vertex 3, is that stable? Do I need to do the TRIM hack or just install it and enjoy?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
The Vertex 3, is that stable? Do I need to do the TRIM hack or just install it and enjoy?

Yes, some people have issues, but that goes with everything. There are horror stories with EVERYTHING. If I lived life based off horror stories I would never step foot out of my house, but thats not realistic, nor is not buying something you want because some people had issues and then BASH the company for it.

Just because someone else had issues doesnt mean you will nor the next. It doesnt mean you wont. If you think its a "gamble" then dont buy technology in general. I would recommend the OWC SSD or OCZ Vertex 3.

Just because Intel has been known for LESS issues doesnt mean they dont have issues and doesnt mean you wont get a bad SSD...

x-kid

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
i'm currently running a 240 GB vertex 3. i haven't experienced any problems yet but i've only had it for about a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.