Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mls64

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
New 13" MBP with 128gb SSD. :confused:
toshiba.jpg

mls64

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Can you run some test on it, i want to see how fast it is
In 8 or 10 days when I get it. The photo was taken by the guy who sold it to me, it is being shipped now. Let me know what tests you want run and I'll gladly help.

Hal1980

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
I did read the article after it came out. I understand that randoms are important, but you must understand that we are not minimizing the importance of random. Just the fact that we can't provide random speeds because we have nothing to test. Can we use help? Yes we can. Anyone who has an SSD listed here can post their results. Those help greatly as we fill in the chart.

Also, performance varies (degrades)in the write portion only, the read of any SSD is never affected as time passes.

That's all I was suggesting. Just requesting that people post the random speeds as they find them. Since the max speeds are more or less worthless, I almost think it is a disservice to put much emphasis on them at all. I think this is a good pursuit, was just making a suggestion to make it much more valuable, and to clearly explain to people that max speeds are misleading and not necessarily a true indicator of quality.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
That's all I was suggesting. Just requesting that people post the random speeds as they find them. Since the max speeds are more or less worthless, I almost think it is a disservice to put much emphasis on them at all. I think this is a good pursuit, was just making a suggestion to make it much more valuable, and to clearly explain to people that max speeds are misleading and not necessarily a true indicator of quality.

We take suggestions in pursuit of perfection, but I think it was your initial wording that got everything started off wrong.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Updated chart with some info about new Intel drives. Added lots more random 4K times!! Woohoo! Also made the columns for max speed a gray color, to de-emphasize the importance of those speeds.

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2003
The most important question to many many users is: how do the intel SSDs compare to the ones that are provided by apple, especially the 256GB one. And how does the intel one compare to the "Apple" ones benchmarkwise. I am checking the forum every day, but no one so far has posted a direct comparison chart: thus I am pleading for a chart:

intel X25M 2nd gen 160 GB vs. Apple CTO 256 GB
random writes
random reads
xbench score

The best would be if the two SSDs would be compared in the same machine (same RAM, Processor, generation, etc.) - this would make sense and some decisions much easier

emt1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
The most important question to many many users is: how do the intel SSDs compare to the ones that are provided by apple, especially the 256GB one. And how does the intel one compare to the "Apple" ones benchmarkwise. I am checking the forum every day, but no one so far has posted a direct comparison chart: thus I am pleading for a chart:

intel X25M 2nd gen 160 GB vs. Apple CTO 256 GB
random writes
random reads
xbench score

The best would be if the two SSDs would be compared in the same machine (same RAM, Processor, generation, etc.) - this would make sense and some decisions much easier

The SSDs that Apple puts in their computers are usually either a Toshiba or a Samsung, as far as I know. It depends on when you bought it, and the size of the SSD. Does anyone have further information?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Is it me or does the OCZ Vertex 120GB seem like a ridiculously good deal?

its you....

the intel 160gb is a good deal....499cad vs 415cad for the vertex with less space and slower sequential speed and somtimes has issues.

the intel is now cheap and has a very reliable track record.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Here's the current chart, sorted as $/GB ascending. The cheapest $/GB is at the top.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 168

stormtroopar

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
its you....

the intel 160gb is a good deal....499cad vs 415cad for the vertex with less space and slower sequential speed and somtimes has issues.

the intel is now cheap and has a very reliable track record.

It is true, I think the Intel 160 is a good deal... The other one would be the G.Skill Falcon 256 (good price for a 256gig, not the best performance).

I would consider the Intel. The max read and write of the the intel still worries me a bit, lets not get into the whole debate again, i know the importance of random read and write vs sustain / max read and write, and even though it matters less, its still important at times to me, like doing a big file transfer, which I do do.

For those that don't know, just be aware of the new Intel gen2 SSD's data corruption issue... Intel is trying to come up with a firmware fix for it in the meantime.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15827

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.