SSD comparison

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by go5gaited, Oct 19, 2009.

1. go5gaited macrumors newbie

I think I've basically decided that I want to order a Patriot Torqx SSD. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220388
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220445

From what I can see, the DRC model has 128MB cache vs. 64MB on the other. I don't care about the game offer. I also noticed that the DRC model doesn't list OS X among the operating systems it will support. Would it still work?

I've tried to follow the SSD thread and if I understand correctly, the bigger cache should help the drive perform better? If so, I would think the price difference would be more than $5.

Thanks for the help!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get the one with more cache, it'll always speed things up.

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Unless you can burn $700, wait a few months, the prices should be going down!

4. go5gaited thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the prices will come down, but I figure they'll always be coming down. And my plan is to put it in a new refurb (that doesn't sound right :D) so I thought it would be easier to replace it while everything is new rather than transferring files and have to transfer again.

Thanks for the input!

5. googdot macrumors regular

Just curious as to why you're going to go with the Patriot SSD? Most people on here seem to be fans of the Intel or OCZ.

Also, the patriot website seems to have all the info to verify the cache amount in the various models...

6. go5gaited thread starter macrumors newbie

The Patriot drive seemed to be the same as the OCZ for a better price. I like the Intel but afraid 160GB won't be enough.

I emailed Patriot because there was conflicting info on their website. The drives are the same, it's the game option that is the difference.

7. googdot macrumors regular

It seems like the Torqx M28 has the 128MB cache. The others all have 64MB according to the spec sheets, including the DRC model you mention. There is even a specific Mac model I've never heard of called the KOI.

What mac are you installing it in?

8. go5gaited thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to put it in a 17" MPB refurb that I haven't purchased yet but planning on doing soon.

On the Patriot site, one place said the drive had 128MB and another place it said 64MB. Both were Torqx models. You're correct about the M model having the 128MB cache. From what I can figure, it's similar to OCZ's Summit model.