SSD for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser154, Apr 20, 2009.

1. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I have a Mid 2007 MacBook Pro (3,1) and am contemplating the purchase of an SSD for it. I would appreciate the help of anyone who has had experience with SSDs and the installation of SSDs/Hard Disks in MacBook Pros prior to the Unibody design.

First of all, SSDs seem to be rapidly developing, and the prices dropping fast. Should I buy now or wait a few months for larger capacity drives with lower prices to come along?

And how easy is it to install a new Hard Drive/SSD into a pre-Unibody MacBook Pro?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There are already numerous threads about this topic on this subforum. I suggest looking at those which should answer your questions and perhaps you will have more specific questions.

3. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, Cheers.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Here ya go! Just click me!!

5. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thankyou both of you for your quick responses. And thanks to anyone else in advance.

6. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

7. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

One more question. Does Mac OS X or Windows (specifically XP and 7 I guess) have any problems with SSDs? I heard that they hold data differently than HDDs.

8. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

Nope. They work fine. Future SSDs and Operating systems will be designed to work better together, but just like anything else if you wait for 'the next big thing' you will wait forever and have nothing in the mean time.

SSDs work well with current technology and are a huge improvement over what you are used to.

Buy the Intel x25m and dont even think about anything else. it is that much better then the competition. If you want more information surf over to Anandtech.com and their 30+ page rundown of the current state of SSDs.

9. aleni macrumors 68020

how about corsair 128GB SSD? even tough it's a bit slower than the intel X25M, it's still providing a quite significant speed from regular hard drive. it's much larger in capacity and cheaper than intel.

10. scuzy macrumors member

OCZ vertex

OCZ vertex is a good SSD drive. It's been doing great in my macbook pro.