Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I've ordered the above drive and enclosure. Does a power cord/supply come with the enclosure, or do I have to purchase that separately? The amazon description indicates that it comes with the wall plug, but another listing says it's not included.

Mine came with the AC wall wart, cable, a carrying case and a screwdriver and according to the maker's website the power cable is definitely included.

http://delock.tragant.com.tw/index.php?p=3&prono=42490

What is does not ship with is the Thunderbolt cable.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Mine came with the AC wall wart, cable, a carrying case and a screwdriver and according to the maker's website the power cable is definitely included.

http://delock.tragant.com.tw/index.php?p=3&prono=42490

What is does not ship with is the Thunderbolt cable.

I got the drive and enclosure yesterday: it works wonderfully. The Samsung drive came with the current firmware, too. :)

This may not be the best thread to ask this, but is it worthwhile to install Bootcamp to use the Samsung magician software, e.g., to enable RAPID? I'm thinking not since I'll be almost exclusively in OSX, and I'm guessing that RAPID only works in Windows.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I got the drive and enclosure yesterday: it works wonderfully. The Samsung drive came with the current firmware, too. :)

Glad to hear it! :) I'm especially glad to hear you were able to get it so quickly after hearing of other's problems with the retailer I was initially recommending.

This may not be the best thread to ask this, but is it worthwhile to install Bootcamp to use the Samsung magician software, e.g., to enable RAPID? I'm thinking not since I'll be almost exclusively in OSX, and I'm guessing that RAPID only works in Windows.

The RAPID tech only works in BootCamp, so far as I know. I do have my Samsung split in equal halves between OS X and BC because I occasionally use Windows for gaming.

However, there is another advantage to having BC. You mentioned your Samsung firmware is up to date but mine wasn't when I got it. Upgrading firmware from the Samsung Magician is a pleasure. It takes about 20 seconds and couldn't be easier.

Upgrading the firmware using the Samsung boot images on optical media or thumb drives, on the other hand, is a nightmare. In my case, it just didn't work. For others, I've heard even worse where it says "flashing" and then just stops dead.

If you have a copy of Windows, I really recommend installing at least a small BC partition somewhere, if only for running Magician,

NOW, if Samsung could finally release an OS X version of the Magician software, that advice might change. :)

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Glad to hear it! :) I'm especially glad to hear you were able to get it so quickly after hearing of other's problems with the retailer I was initially recommending.

The RAPID tech only works in BootCamp, so far as I know. I do have my Samsung split in equal halves between OS X and BC because I occasionally use Windows for gaming.

However, there is another advantage to having BC. You mentioned your Samsung firmware is up to date but mine wasn't when I got it. Upgrading firmware from the Samsung Magician is a pleasure. It takes about 20 seconds and couldn't be easier.

Upgrading the firmware using the Samsung boot images on optical media or thumb drives, on the other hand, is a nightmare. In my case, it just didn't work. For others, I've heard even worse where it says "flashing" and then just stops dead.

If you have a copy of Windows, I really recommend installing at least a small BC partition somewhere, if only for running Magician,

NOW, if Samsung could finally release an OS X version of the Magician software, that advice might change. :)

I do wish that they'd make an osx version of Magician. I was thinking of making a BC partition when new firmware becomes available. I might go ahead and do it now just to see if I can without any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.