SSD in PowerBook G4 12” (A1010 EMC 1986)

Faloude

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
I have a beautiful PowerBook G4 12” 1 GHZ powerpc (A1010) here with a dead hard drive which I want to replace with a SSD.

Is there any reason why a mSATA SSD (with mSATA to IDE adapter) would not work on this device?

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
I'd recommend mSATA SSD's in IDE adapters for any PowerPC-based portable.

I've had four of them, installed in:
  • PowerBook G3 Pismo 500 MHz
  • PowerBook G4 Titanium 867 MHz
  • PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz
  • PowerBook G4 15" HR DLSD 1.67 GHz
They've served my needs quite well. They're noticeably faster than any spinning platter drive; just don't expect rocket-like performance - I think that's been oversold a bit. Your PowerBook has an ATA-100 drive bus that will limit the SSD's throughput, but it will make the most of it and you should notice a nice improvement over the stock HDD. Plus complete silence, cooler running, better shock protection and longer life.

Just make sure you choose well. Opening up a 12-inch "Little Al" is something best done only once if you can help it, those things are a real pain to work on. If there's anything else you'd like to change/fix, try to do it all in one go.

I've been very happy with the 120 GB Intel SSDMCEAW120A4 in my 12-inch running Tiger. I have it in one of these adapters [ATTN MODS: not my auction]. There are other options as well, that's just what I've used and am happy with. Do your research, open 'er up, and enjoy!

amagichnich

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I have a beautiful PowerBook G4 12” 1 GHZ powerpc (A1010) here with a dead hard drive which I want to replace with a SSD.

Is there any reason why a mSATA SSD (with mSATA to IDE adapter) would not work on this device?
Please, do tell me what "PowerBook G4 12” (1986)" means - the year? Model number? Out of curiosity: Where did you get this number from?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.