SSD Included with MBP vs X25-M 160gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RJones, Sep 16, 2009.

1. RJones macrumors newbie

I'm looking to order a MBP with an SSD. How does the 128gb one compare with the Intel X25-M 160gb (other than size). The difference works out to be just over $300 CDN.

Thanks

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Very likely you will see a drastic difference. Intel drives are best at what they do.

In short, your reads (random) will be faster and your writes will not slow down over time.

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

The Intel wins in almost all tests. Please search the forums as I think there are multiple threads about this.

4. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Read the Anandtech SSD saga (or at least the last chapter), the SSD used by Apple, Lenovo, Dell, ecc. are some of the worst SSDs on the market....

Don't buy SSDs from Apple, get an Intel x25-m, it is better in any possible way, it doesn't get slower when fully written, ecc.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The Apple OEM SSDs are slop. They are slightly faster than a HD and not worth the upcharge at all. Put the Intel in yourself. You won't be disappointed. Alternatively, take a look at the less expensive, but also "slower" Corsair P128 w/ Samsung controller. That is what I ended up getting as it fit my budget better and still had great specs, though not as good as the Intel. Intel is king for a reason, but the Corsair P series is respectable.

6. oomikeyboy macrumors newbie

The x25-m is much better. The SSD's that are included with the MBP's use samsung MLC controllers or something, which aren't that good. Even the Vertex drives are better.

7. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

I have the 15 MBP with the sammy 128 GB SSD. It hauls. It is fast. Is the Intel faster? probably. does it have more space? yes. will it not slow down as much? yes.

but the comment that the samsung is slop and barely faster than a hard drive? absolutely completely untrue. I had the stock 250 GB in it before the SSD and the the SSD is much much faster.

I think the SSD slowdown thing is not that big a deal for most users. How often do you really write /delete massive amounts of files?

If I had the means, yes get the Intel, it is king. If you dont want to jack with putting in the drive, re-loading everything and then if something goes wrong with the machine, having issues with a third party drive, ect ect