Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

optimus1509

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Hello Folks,

I have an SSD only iMac 2017. At the time of purchase, i did not go for the fusion model, my system only comes with a built in 512GB SSD. Can i add a second 2.5 SATA SSD as a i have a spare one lying around. If yes, will the side brackets already be there when i open up the iMac? I am aware i will need a 3.5 to 2.5 converter adapter only. Is this correct?

Further, will i need the temp sensor from OWC as I am only adding an SSD? What about the SATA cable for the new drive will that also be there or does that need to be purchased separately? if yes which one do i need to get?

Any help is appreciated.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I have the same machine, however, my current 512GB SSD has plenty of space left. To answer your question... I would give OWC a call on their 800 line and ask them about adding the second SSD, if a bracket is already there, and whether or not you would need a temperature sensor. You may be able to see for yourself by looking over take apart photos at www.ifixit.com.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I've got a 2013 iMac and currently have 2 SSD drives installed in it. It can be done easily.

optimus1509

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
I have the same machine, however, my current 512GB SSD has plenty of space left. To answer your question... I would give OWC a call on their 800 line and ask them about adding the second SSD, if a bracket is already there, and whether or not you would need a temperature sensor. You may be able to see for yourself by looking over take apart photos at www.ifixit.com.

Thanks i will call OWC. However, i think they will just try to sell me the thermal cable. The other issue i have is the adhesive strips, then tend to loose their glue over time and the screen tends to fall off ripping out all the connections. I am still considering if i should do this upgrade at all?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
The folks at OWC generally are pretty good about what can be done easily and what can not. I have run into one user who experienced the adhesive strips coming loose, and the screen fell off. So that's a real possibility. Personally, I have no desire to open up my iMac. Older model, yes, newer model, no. You may be better off doing what was suggested by @Fishrrman.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
You may be better off doing what was suggested by @Fishrrman.

This.

Why muck around with the internals with all of the attendant risk involved when you have an easy/cheap/effective/safe alternative?

I've run an external SSD on my 2011 iMac for 5 years now. Not a single problem. Don't even know it's there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.