SSD & Photoshop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SoCalRich, Apr 22, 2010.

1. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I am buying a new MBP as soon as I can make up my mind which one. :D I will be using Photoshop and Lightroom for my photo editing.

I know a SSD is speedy for start up and launching apps. Does it also increase the speed at which the apps like Photoshop actually run once they are launched?

I'm thinking about buying the base 2.4GHz and adding 4BGB and a 160GB SSD drive. I like the small 13" form factor. It will easily fit into my camera back pack. I'm thinking a SSD would be faster for quick field editing photo's helping to make up for the slower CPU.

This would be for the field. I'm waiting for the new MP to come out. That machine would be for my "heavy lifting" work flow at home.

Any thoughts idea's???

Thanks... :D

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Once they are launched? No, RAM is crucial once they are launched.

3. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

That was quick... Thanks...

Now I'm wondering with 8GB how Photoshop would run on the 2.4GHz. Probably should think about the 15" i7. Slightly bigger form factor but more processing power... and screen... :D

4. matttung macrumors member

Yes, it'll run noticeably quicker esp. when you're switching tools frequently -

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

8GB would be preferably recommended. I think you realize that Photoshop can be a big nomer on RAM...

Screen size is user preference. Although portability tends to be at 13" and 17" is performance while 15" is more of a balanced approach.