SSD Vs. 7200 RPM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AMacbook, Jun 13, 2011.

1. AMacbook macrumors member

Well, I'm getting the 15inch 2.2ghz Macbook Pro in a few weeks and I was wondering if the 128GB SSD was worth it since its only $90 and normally it would be like $240 or is the 7200 RPM anygood.
    :D

2. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

is space or speed more important? yes the ssd will be quicker but without doing the optibay conversion is 128gb enough for you? if yes then no brainer if not then either get the ssd and do optibay or go with the 7200rpm

3. AMacbook, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

AMacbook thread starter macrumors member

In the long run I would probably still need to use externals either way but what SSD do apple use? And how does it compare to Vertex 3 or Intel 320? What is the Conversion?

4. JR1993 macrumors regular

(NOTE: I have no hands on experience, but have looked into this a lot as I am getting the same system as you with SSD)

If you are transfering/reading/writing very large files, you will maybe want to go for an aftermarket SSD as it will do the job nearly twice as fast with a Vertex 3

However, if you are an everyday laptop user, the difference between an Apple SSD and the vertex 3 is so small, that it is not worth spending extra money getting a vertex 3 when the apple on is a cheap upgrade.

Also, you have peace of mind about having latest firmware/drivers with the apple ssd, native TRIM support (with no hacks), and the warranty with applecare.

There is a performance difference, but in my particular case, the pros outweighed the cons, so im going apple.

5. AMacbook thread starter macrumors member

I play games but don't do HUGE amounts of video editing etc. so would I notice thw diffrence?

6. Kyllle macrumors 6502

If you don't mind spending the extra $90, then definitely go for the SSD. If you're considering upgrading any other part of the machine, upgrade the SSD first.

I personally wouldn't bother spending any money on the 7200 HD, if you're going to upgrade anyways, you might as well get the most out of your purchase.

7. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

It doesn't cost anything for the 7200RPM.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

SSD doesn't do a ton for video editing/gaming, but you would notice shorter boot times and app load times. If you think you need the space, then it would be a better bet to take the bigger drive now and deal with getting a SSD later.

9. cinek macrumors 6502

it is worth it, you'll notice the difference between a ssd and hdd straight away and you'll never look back. The only disadvantage of ssds is the small size, but you can get a 240GB SSD with 275mb/s read/write for £240 these days which is very cheap - 1gb/£1.

Either way, you'll get faster boot times, the macbook will be more responsive etc. Apples ssds are not as fast as the vertex 3 etc, but they are good enough for now

10. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, some games do keep going back to the disk for more information, so for some games, disk speed does matter.

11. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

What other things do SSD's help with. I mean I would enjoy a faster boot, but it really isn't necessary, especially at their current price, and app loading times aren't truly unbearable, so what else will they help?

12. SinisteR-33139 macrumors newbie

SinisteR-33139

I was just going to start a new thread and then I saw this thread. I also want to upgrade my mbp hdd to a better one, but not a ssd. I currently have the default 500gb 5400rpm I was looking at a WD VelociRaptor 2.5" 600GB 10kRPM. Firstly can my mbp take that and would it be able to read that speed because I haven't seen or heard anyone put in a 10k rpm hdd also my mbp is the newest one.

Thnax.

13. Just "Vinnie" macrumors member

Try loading, editing and saving 1000 25mb RAW photos in photoshop.

14. fattire357 macrumors regular

Just this really.

I noticed a larger difference with Windows 7 since they are more aggressive about fully closing apps - OSX more frequently lets the app run in the background which eats up RAM (I'm okay with) but this also makes app loading faster... I feel like I'm okay without an SSD on OSX.

SSDs help but I agree app loading times aren't unbearable on a Mac.

I think what justifies the price is that they are much faster. On Windows 7 opening up Microsoft Word used to take 20+ seconds. It's really cool to just see it appear :D. On a Mac just imagine every program you own is pre-opened for you and that's about how fast it runs.

15. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

As ZombieZakk said, this is a space vs. cost question. An SSD will provide some benefit, notably in speed of applications opening and boot time. However, they are absurdly expensive when compared to a 7200 RPM drive on a per Gb basis. If you need space, get the 7200 RPM drive. If speed is more important, and money is less important, get the SSD.

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

A Raptor won't fit in a MBP.

17. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

7200rpm gets the job done just fine for a cheaper price. If you're fine with paying extra for newer technology and faster speeds, that's fine too.

18. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

No comparison in terms of speed. You will notice a huge performance improvement with an SSD. The only question is whether 128GB is enough space for you.

19. AMacbook thread starter macrumors member

How much space would I get on my SSD after they install OSX etc?

20. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Probably about 110GB, but an issue with drives (SSD and HDD) is that they slow down a bit when getting close to full.

21. AMacbook thread starter macrumors member

22. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

23. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Let's not overstate the case. SSD provides a noticeable improvement in boot times and in application launching times. It also helps when working in very large files. However, SSD will not let you surf the web any faster, or create Word docs any faster, etc. Hence, for most people, the benefits are not outweighed by the substantial additional cost.

24. AMacbook thread starter macrumors member

Would the 7200 RPM fit my needs if I only play games create word docs surf web and watch movies and tv shows and use a tiny bit of IMovie and Photoshop?

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes. If that's what you do, save your money and get the 7200 RPM one.