Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Germacintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Karlsruhe, Germany
How come they didn't fix this, this must have been so obvious while testing, even months ago!

It looks so unprofessional and awkward. :mad:

Is there any workaround? I want stacks to work with my magnifying dock.

Germacintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Karlsruhe, Germany
the free space between the open stack and the dock itself. Once the magnification turns off the stack is flying above the dock. See here:

Attachments

• macrumors.jpg
    macrumors.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 46

Peabody

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Portland, OR
Broken? Yup.

Critical for the .1 update? Nah.

I bet it gets addressed in the .2 update. UI anomalies that don't break functionality are probably a lower priority than say the Finder eating data, etc...

Bummer. I was fine with the behavior until you pointed that flaw out!

--Peabody

How come they didn't fix this, this must have been so obvious while testing, even months ago!

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I think it's meant to be that way so that you can keep that Stacks window open to navigate through (get a good look of) it's contents if there's a lot of stuff in it. That way you don't need to keep your finger pressed down on your mouse. I don't really see it as a bug.

maxmax

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2007
something like this seems like it would have been so obvious during testing, so maybe it has to do with the new dock scaling, etc...

for example -- minimized webpages and quicktime movies aren't "live" anymore. on tiger when i clicked dashboard it would freeze the dock with magnification still on the dashboard icon like my mouse was there. leopard doesn't do it anymore.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
You're right. Its just so obvious I can't imagine all those testers haven't seen it!

Well, at least we can now enjoy these cool new transparent icons :)
You are still not hearing what most people are saying here.

It's not the big deal you think it is because it doesn't affect functionality.

I also noticed this effect immediately upon installing Leopard but until you posted here, it never occurred to me that this was a "problem." I'm sure the coders at Apple saw it too, they just didn't stop Leopards release for it as you might have wanted them to.

Luckily there is a workaround for this problem. When it happens, you have to click a few milimetres over from where the icon used to be, to where it is now. :)

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
the free space between the open stack and the dock itself. Once the magnification turns off the stack is flying above the dock.

I for one would be rather annoyed if the expanded stack moved down when the magnification turns off... To access items in the stack, one have to move the cursor away from the dock, into the expanded stack thus causing a magnified dock to return to its normal state.

It would be pretty bad to have to move the cursor first up then down to access the lowest stack items (for a dock placed at the bottom of the screen). Of course one solution to that problem would be to keep the dock magnified when accessing an expanded stack... If the dock is de-magnified by moving the cursor in another direction, this isn't an issue.

Anyway, I very much prefer a flying stack to a stack preventing me from accessing items in it :)

feyn-man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007

I don't think that is a bug of system. In fact, I think you will never solve it if you use magnification. Because the icon must be there to wait you click when dock magnification disappear.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
This seriously bothers you? I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, and even now I still don't see why it upsets you so much. So it doesn't go up and down with the dock when it magnifies and un-magnifies. Don't really see that as a problem...

Why do you use magnification? are you a 7 year old?
Whatever dude. Magnification is the coolest ever...

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
It kinda does :p but it's ok, i'll wait till they implement an option to switch stack-flying on or off!

Let's go on talking about more serious issues... Good night you all!

I think it would bother you more if it moved down when your mouse left the doc area and your target icon is not were it was visually .5 a second previously.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I don't think the stack should move down but the dock should just stay magnified as long as I do something withing the stack. Doesn't that make any sense?

That's kind of what I meant with this part of my post you replied to...

Of course one solution to that problem would be to keep the dock magnified when accessing an expanded stack...

This would solve the "flying", but I'm not sure it would be 100% logical either. Seriously, I really don't see a problem with the current implementation.

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Agreed agreed agreed!

Pulling up a context menu from a dock item has the proper effect (it keeps the magnification in place until you dismiss the menu): stacks should work exactly the same way (not run away from you when you go to click on them!!!)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I use magnification but only a little bit - nothing extreme.

The stack is flying, but isn't too noticable, and definitely doesn't annoy me. Looks fine.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
You're right. Its just so obvious I can't imagine all those testers haven't seen it!

Well, at least we can now enjoy these cool new transparent icons :)

i do think they saw this, but maybe they will fix this later or maybe it's meant to be like that

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
I think the flaw would be if you click on the stack and you see the icon you want, then move to click on that icon, and the icon reacting to you moving away from the Dock moves on you. Seems there would potentially be "misclicks" if this non issue is solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.