Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

StackSocial began offering eight Mac apps in its "Ultra-Premium" bundle today, which includes Cultured Code's Things 2, an Apple Design Award winner, and Realmac Software's Typed, which was just released in December. The bundle is priced at $44.99, but StackSocial is offering MacRumors readers a $5 discount with coupon code MRULTRA5, bringing the price down to $39.99.

MacBundle_575x300.png
The total retail value of all eight apps is $469, so the bundle at $39.99 offers a significant savings compared to buying each app individually. The apps included are:

- ScreenFlow 5 ($99.99) - screen recording tool
- Things 2 ($49) - task manager
- Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth ($49.99) - turn-based strategy game
- ProSoft Data Rescue 4 ($99.99) - data recovery utility
- ExpanDrive 4 ($49.95) - directly access files stored in many popular cloud services
- AfterShot Pro 2 ($79.95) - photo editor
- Typed ($24.95) - text editor
- Snapselect ($24.99) - photo sorter for finding and eliminating duplicate and similar photos

Civilization: Beyond Earth was originally announced for Mac last April and debuted in the Mac App Store in November. ScreenFlow previously won an Apple Design Award several years ago.

The Ultra-Premium Bundle is available until March 5.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of StackSocial.

Article Link: StackSocial Offers 'Ultra-Premium' Bundle of 8 Mac Apps for $39.99

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Edit: Retracted. P.S. Expandrive is probably a really cool app, but just doesn't work well with OneDrive

Last edited:

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Offer expires when?

The site says the offer expires in 6 days. That would be Feb 24 and not March 5th.

pawcio

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Question...

Just a quick question to those of you that bought this bundle... as far as "Things 2" and "ScreenFlow 5" goes, do you get a code to download the Mac App Store versions of these apps or is this a serial number for a version that you download from the developers website? Thanks in advance!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Just a quick question to those of you that bought this bundle... as far as "Things 2" and "ScreenFlow 5" goes, do you get a code to download the Mac App Store versions of these apps or is this a serial number for a version that you download from the developers website? Thanks in advance!

You receive a serial with your download. The download is done outside the MAS.

Edited to add: Don't lose your serial, especially if buying a code from someone here. It would be a good idea to save the serial in 1Password or the like.

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Moderator Note:

Please use this thread to discuss the bundle and the apps on offer.

All posts offering to buy, sell or trade items must only be posted in the Marketplace forum. To access this forum you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months).

Marketplace Rules.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Guess why Things2 is included in this great bundle ?

http://culturedcode.com/things/three/

It's going out, that's why.

Maybe on the third version (which I won't buy, as I dropped money on the first and second) will finally have features so basic as individual reminders for tasks as in let's say the iOS Reminders app...

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Guess why Things2 is included in this great bundle ?

http://culturedcode.com/things/three/

It's going out, that's why.

Maybe on the third version (which I won't buy, as I dropped money on the first and second) will finally have features so basic as individual reminders for tasks as in let's say the iOS Reminders app...

Go read the Things forums, it's pretty funny/sad. The userbase there has reached the mindset that software should be intentionally limited/gimped in order to educate the user on how to run their daily lives.

Suspended
Oct 1, 2014
Actually, according to the Ts & Cs, licence resale is prohibited. Check the foot of the bundle webpage. Though, in the EU, the Courts have decided that licence resale cannot be limited.

Also, in their editorial about the bundle, the author writes:
This one will go really quick.
Given the bundle is for sale for a specific and pre-announced period of time, and given the author neglects to mention this at all, this could be argued to be a pressure-selling technique, which is illegal in the EU.

Additionally, 9to5 either have a flaky comments system or apply censorship: I posted a comment ~24 hours ago mentioning the same things and it's not yet appeared, though an attempt to re-post results in a "duplicate post" warning.

And it transpires Things 2 may shortly be superceded by a new version?

It's the Wild West out here, folks…

Edit: Also, ScreenFlow was in the MacLegion Spring Bundle 2011, as was Prosoft Data Rescue, contradicting the claim that AfterShot Pro 2 is, "the only app included that’s been in a bundle before". I accept they may be basing the claim based on app version; but then, in that case, it's a much weaker claim and hardly worth trumpeting, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Is ProSoft any good?

I've had urgent needs to use both the original Data Rescue and Data Rescue II on several occasions in the past 10 years. That program has saved my bacon several times and in the couple of times that it wasn't able to restore a badly crashed disk, I was able to at least get some important files off of the drives.

I used to buy that program to keep around even if I didn't have an immediate need for it. I finally left the habit of always keeping a copy upgraded when I started using Time Machine to keep regular updates.

I already need to get an upgrade to my ScreenFlow software, which would run $34 normally. An extra $6 to also get Data Rescue? I'm in.

StackSocial

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2015
Stack here...

Hi everyone, to answer some questions raised about our offer:

1. Civilization Beyond Earth is the Steam version of the game
2. All other titles are non-Mac App Store versions of the apps (stand-alone)
3. The offer is currently set to expire March 5 (disregard the shorter run time mentioned on the offer page, MacRumors got it right)
4. Things 3 is in development (as are new versions of all these apps, that's how software development goes) but won't be released until later this year. While we can't comment on other developers' future pricing plans, most offer discounts for upgrades as opposed to purchasing a full new version...
5. ScreenFlow and Data Rescue have been in previous bundle, but never in their current versions. In other words, ScreenFlow 5 and Data Rescue 4 are both paid upgrades from previous versions, so if you purchased ScreenFlow 3 from MacHeist in 2011 you're now 2 whole versions behind (version 4 was also a paid upgrade).

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread and answering any other questions that crop up.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Anyone have any thoughts about how well After Shot Pro 2 might fare as an Aperture replacement? I took a quick spin around and I like the simplicity of it... haven't really tried to use it yet though.

I'm going to have to decide if I'm hopping on the Lightroom bandwagon in the coming months or if I'm going to hitch my wagon onto something that isn't subscription based.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Anyone have any thoughts about how well After Shot Pro 2 might fare as an Aperture replacement? I took a quick spin around and I like the simplicity of it... haven't really tried to use it yet though.

I'm going to have to decide if I'm hopping on the Lightroom bandwagon in the coming months or if I'm going to hitch my wagon onto something that isn't subscription based.

I'm also wondering about After Shot as I hate subscription based applications.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
The site says the offer expires in 6 days. That would be Feb 24 and not March 5th.

Yes, the sales page there does say it ends in 6 days (in 5 days now as I write this) but the deal will still be available for MacRumors readers through March 5.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I've had urgent needs to use both the original Data Rescue and Data Rescue II on several occasions in the past 10 years. That program has saved my bacon several times and in the couple of times that it wasn't able to restore a badly crashed disk, I was able to at least get some important files off of the drives.

I used to buy that program to keep around even if I didn't have an immediate need for it. I finally left the habit of always keeping a copy upgraded when I started using Time Machine to keep regular updates.

I already need to get an upgrade to my ScreenFlow software, which would run $34 normally. An extra $6 to also get Data Rescue? I'm in.

I've had exactly the same experience with Data Rescue II. It has proven to be a life-saver (almost but not quite literally) on several occasions. But, like you, I've moved to more frequent and transparent backups since Time Machine really matured in the past couple years (and keep more of my critical data on a RAID setup as one of the copies now as well), and haven't needed Data Rescue in a long time.

That said, I'd completely vouch for the effectiveness of ProSoft's data-retrieval code. It has been able to get data off some severely physically damaged drives - so long as the drive can still be attached and mounted by the OS there appears to be hope. So, if you are in that situation by chance in the six-day availability window for this offer, or think you might be in the next year or two, Data Rescue is a real good tool to have around.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002

Looking at the features list, it doesn't seem to have the Aperture features which Photos is missing (brush-masked edits, etc, although I think they are likely there in the layers support, just not listed in the marketing materials), nor obviously the seamless import from an existing Aperture library. Finally, it is cross-platform, and Corel is Windows-first so the Mac experience is going to have some rough edges (not unique in this aspect if you are considering Lightroom, but compared to moving to Photos when that comes out I think you'll hit a lot of fit-and-finish anachronisms).

There are reviews out there. This one is for the previous version (retailing at $99.99 in 2012) comparing it to Lightroom and Aperture 3: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4945 - that is where I learned about After Shot's layers support (as well as its over-reliance on it for healing etc, at least in the first version).

On the down side, the reviews in the Mac App Store are minimal (only 2) and both abysmal. So, really, you want to try this one out with the trial download from Corel before forking over the cash.

IMHO, it is likely worth a download to try, and if you like what you see at all, this bundle is a good place to get it (and some other apps) at a nice discount. That said, it is not a Mac App Store app from this bundle (as with any bundle), so you forgo the convenience of the Mac App Store forever with it. Also, if you buy it from Corel you get licenses for WinZip (obviously only useful if you also have a Windows box) and some slideshow app along with AfterShot Pro 2 for $60 - think of that as an alternate bundle if for some reason those apps appeal to you more than the ones here and the extra $20 makes sense to you.

Finally, if you have more than one machine, the non-Mac App Store purchase only allows you to activate the software on ONE machine. So, if you want this for two or more machines you will need two or more licenses and will need a new license every time you upgrade your machine (according to Corel's support pages). Corel is still an old-school software company in this regard, it seems. It is almost enough for me to say you are crazy buying it outside the Mac App Store!

Last edited:

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I wish I could find more info on how Snapselect works. I'm looking for something like it, but I can't really find anything about how it identifies duplicates/similar images. Timestamps? Image contents? Something else? There's no demo version either.

I have some interest in the other apps, but perhaps not enough to buy the bundle anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.