Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
There is a service plan out for the AR coating issue, you should be able go get a new screen free of charge

I had one screen replacement and then the new screen started having the same issue only 6 months down the track. I requested Apple to replace my 2 year old system with the new model - they did and did not cost me an extra cent. Free upgrade :)

Reactions: Schranke

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I had one screen replacement and then the new screen started having the same issue only 6 months down the track. I requested Apple to replace my 2 year old system with the new model - they did and did not cost me an extra cent. Free upgrade :)
Wow, what a result! :) Usually, they only give out replacements models if three or more repairs are carried out for the same issue so I'm surprised you managed to get it sorted after one repair. Out of interest, was there much persuasion required to ask them for a replacement and who did you speak to - an Apple Store Genius/ Manager or through their customer phone line?

Cheers

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Wow, what a result! :) Usually, they only give out replacements models if three or more repairs are carried out for the same issue so I'm surprised you managed to get it sorted after one repair. Out of interest, was there much persuasion required to ask them for a replacement and who did you speak to - an Apple Store Genius/ Manager or through their customer phone line?

Cheers

I got a display on a MacBook replaced out of warranty. The store wouldn't do anything for me, I had to go through the customer phone line. It wasn't the first person I spoke to either, I had to go higher up the chain.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
I was concerned about this before buying my 13" rMBP, like most things on the internet, you only see the minority of people that have experienced the issue and not the majority of unaffected people.

When I bought mine I asked the salesman (I bought mine from an authorised reseller) and he said he had only seen one example come in with the issue (could be salesman ******** but I'd as already told him I was going to buy regardless I trusted his statement).

No AR coating is indestructible, I had the AR coating fail on a pair of glasses, the result was almost identical to the 'stains' on these rMBP's, with the coating gradually 'flaking' away leaving a crazed pattern behind. The cause appeared to be from where my eyebrows brushed against the lens towards the bridge. I guess the combination of the oils in my skin and the mild abrasion of my eyebrows was enough to slowly 'chip away' at the coating.

That's what appears to be happening here, the marks result from where people make contact with the screen, near the edges or where the keyboard gets smushed into the screen when in a bag or naturally makes contact with the screen due to poor tolerances (of the 4 MacBook/MacBook Pros I've owned, at least two have left key marks on the screen, even when not taken out of the house!)

Sure there are a small number of extreme cases where the coating has just deteriorated of its own accord, but Apple are replacing them so its not all bad.

TBH for the sake of a mm or less they saved with these new displays, I'd rather they'd left the extra layer of glass on the display as per the older Unibodies as I rarely worried about marking the screen, and I can't say that the AR coating makes all that much of a difference, I never really noticed a huge issue using any of my older models and most pro users now will be using external monitors which will likely have matte screens.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis

Cheers

Yes normally its 3 hardware fixes before replacement, however I had proof the original replacement screen started to have the same issue so this was coming up to screen replacement 2. This is why I keep records and photos of these problems as evidence. Around 6 months later the issue started on the new screen and was verified via an AASP where I live. Im not close to any Apple Store's, so the AASP was he best option. This was the proof Apple needed to authorise a replacement. I said for a $3,000 system this was simply unacceptable and no doubt another screen issue would occur again. I have done all this via email to Apple Executive Liaison in Sydney, despite me living in Queensland. I seem to be good at persuasion however Im professional and friendly and always have facts to back up my info.

So in effect my 2 year old MBPR was replaced with the current model of the same CPU / RAM / HDD at no additional cost to me despite a $800 increase in price for the same system - not too shabby. With the replacements Apple won't allow you to "upgrade" the components beyond the specs of the previous machine - must be like for like, unless the previous config was completely dumped and replaced. Has to be equivalent or better under Australian Consumer Law.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Yes normally its 3 hardware fixes before replacement, however I had proof the original replacement screen started to have the same issue so this was coming up to screen replacement 2. This is why I keep records and photos of these problems as evidence. Around 6 months later the issue started on the new screen and was verified via an AASP where I live. Im not close to any Apple Store's, so the AASP was he best option. This was the proof Apple needed to authorise a replacement. I said for a $3,000 system this was simply unacceptable and no doubt another screen issue would occur again. I have done all this via email to Apple Executive Liaison in Sydney, despite me living in Queensland. I seem to be good at persuasion however Im professional and friendly and always have facts to back up my info.

So in effect my 2 year old MBPR was replaced with the current model of the same CPU / RAM / HDD at no additional cost to me despite a $800 increase in price for the same system - not too shabby. With the replacements Apple won't allow you to "upgrade" the components beyond the specs of the previous machine - must be like for like, unless the previous config was completely dumped and replaced. Has to be equivalent or better under Australian Consumer Law.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your experience in a bit of detail. Yeh, I wouldn't expect anything more than like-for-like. Seems pretty good that this was all done by email and having evidence and a friendly and professional manner definitely helps from your experience. I was more surprised that this was done out of warranty, though I guess Australian consumer law also probably helped :)

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your experience in a bit of detail. Yeh, I wouldn't expect anything more than like-for-like. Seems pretty good that this was all done by email and having evidence and a friendly and professional manner definitely helps from your experience. I was more surprised that this was done out of warranty, though I guess Australian consumer law also probably helped :)

Australian Consumer Law (Formerly the Trade Practices Act) is one of the toughest in the world. Consumer Law is in addition to our statutory rights and cannot be overridden or refused due to tough penalties.

Harleg

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Is this still occurring? I just got a 2015 15" rMBP

Affirmative. Don't listen to all of these snowflake fanboys bootlicking for Timmy. StainGATE is far more common than reported on the net, primarily, imho, because most snowflakes are too "flaky" to notice it... maybe it's their meds, lol!

It usually begins around the black bezel and is really hard to spot at first. Not sure when it began on my 2015 13" MBP. But my family has owned many MBP's and have never had any issues whatsoever with the screens, until this said model.

This is a real issue with Apple as they apparently have no remedy for what should be a simple fix. Don't think it's real or that it's a real issue of merit? The proof is in the pudding, snowflakes. When Apple happily fixes/replaces screens and full laptops that are out of warranty for free, take that as a pretty strong admission coming down from the highest levels to keep this quiet by keeping users happy.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I was concerned about this before buying my 13" rMBP, like most things on the internet, you only see the minority of people that have experienced the issue and not the majority of unaffected people.

When I bought mine I asked the salesman (I bought mine from an authorised reseller) and he said he had only seen one example come in with the issue (could be salesman ******** but I'd as already told him I was going to buy regardless I trusted his statement).

No AR coating is indestructible, I had the AR coating fail on a pair of glasses, the result was almost identical to the 'stains' on these rMBP's, with the coating gradually 'flaking' away leaving a crazed pattern behind. The cause appeared to be from where my eyebrows brushed against the lens towards the bridge. I guess the combination of the oils in my skin and the mild abrasion of my eyebrows was enough to slowly 'chip away' at the coating.

That's what appears to be happening here, the marks result from where people make contact with the screen, near the edges or where the keyboard gets smushed into the screen when in a bag or naturally makes contact with the screen due to poor tolerances (of the 4 MacBook/MacBook Pros I've owned, at least two have left key marks on the screen, even when not taken out of the house!)

Sure there are a small number of extreme cases where the coating has just deteriorated of its own accord, but Apple are replacing them so its not all bad.

TBH for the sake of a mm or less they saved with these new displays, I'd rather they'd left the extra layer of glass on the display as per the older Unibodies as I rarely worried about marking the screen, and I can't say that the AR coating makes all that much of a difference, I never really noticed a huge issue using any of my older models and most pro users now will be using external monitors which will likely have matte screens.

What a load of garage, repeating the same old wives tales that finger oil can damage an AR coating and then trying to correlate this to a pair of sunglasses which is not logical as the ar filter would be external on sunglasses, not internal as on a computer screen. Furthermore you must have massive eyelashes as well. Explain how the AR coating on my system started to come off when I don't touch the screen as I have no need to. It appears the coating application process is the issue - phase deposition. You are in effect accusing all who have this issue of abuse of their systems.

The AR coating issue seemed to always start around the black bezel despite nothing touching this area and they keyboard does not reach that far. The coating never came off inside the bezel anywhere on the screen. When closed there is nothing touching the bezel so how in the hell can this be attributed to a person's use - David Copperfield? Add to this my computer is rarely taken outside and left inside. The AR coating makes a massive difference as where it comes off it looks like a shiny mirror compared to the areas where the AR coating is intact.

Use common sense before insulting owners of abuse of their own systems.
[doublepost=1469485905][/doublepost]
Affirmative. Don't listen to all of these snowflake fanboys bootlicking for Timmy. StainGATE is far more common than reported on the net, primarily, imho, because most snowflakes are too "flaky" to notice it... maybe it's their meds, lol!

It usually begins around the black bezel and is really hard to spot at first. Not sure when it began on my 2015 13" MBP. But my family has owned many MBP's and have never had any issues whatsoever with the screens, until this said model.

This is a real issue with Apple as they apparently have no remedy for what should be a simple fix. Don't think it's real or that it's a real issue of merit? The proof is in the pudding, snowflakes. When Apple happily fixes/replaces screens and full laptops that are out of warranty for free, take that as a pretty strong admission coming down from the highest levels to keep this quiet by keeping users happy.

As they say actions speak louder than words and Apple's actions indicate a fault which has yet to be fixed, hence their response and expensive "resolution" process.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
What a load of garage, repeating the same old wives tales that finger oil can damage an AR coating and then trying to correlate this to a pair of sunglasses which is not logical as the ar filter would be external on sunglasses, not internal as on a computer screen. Furthermore you must have massive eyelashes as well. Explain how the AR coating on my system started to come off when I don't touch the screen as I have no need to. It appears the coating application process is the issue - phase deposition. You are in effect accusing all who have this issue of abuse of their systems.

The AR coating issue seemed to always start around the black bezel despite nothing touching this area and they keyboard does not reach that far. The coating never came off inside the bezel anywhere on the screen. When closed there is nothing touching the bezel so how in the hell can this be attributed to a person's use - David Copperfield? Add to this my computer is rarely taken outside and left inside. The AR coating makes a massive difference as where it comes off it looks like a shiny mirror compared to the areas where the AR coating is intact.

Use common sense before insulting owners of abuse of their own systems.

Not sure where you thought I was making reference to you or your specific issue in my post but the garbage (you put garage btw) appears to be squarely in your court, I certainly wasn't accusing you of abusing your system.

The points I raised in my post were in regard to the number of prominent images on the staingate website where you can clearly see the imprint of keys, the trackpad and areas of the top case. Your screen issues would fall under my reference to "a small number of extreme cases where the coating has just deteriorated of its own accord." and you're right, your issue isn't caused by skin oils making contact with the screen, no, it’s the grease dripping down from that chip on your shoulder.

You're effectively accusing me of calling ******** on your experience by calling ******** on mine, clever! You'll find that most plastic lenses in glasses have some sort of coating on all the surfaces of the lens, usually some combination of AR, UV protection (as much for the plastic itself as well as your eye) and 'scratch protection'. In my case it was the AR coating that got worn away in the corners from 4 years of contact with my eyebrows and the area around the bridge of my nose, not my 'eyelashes' as you've put above (learn to read before insulting people).

As far as I'm aware, and can see from my own rMBP, the coating is also on the outside and if you can demonstrate otherwise, I’d be happy to accept I’m wrong, but if it's not on the outside then how the hell does it come off then?

The whole LCD is one piece, with the ‘bezel’ seemingly applied from the inside unlike older models which had a separate bezel layer. The AR coating then covers the whole outer surface (if you look at the screen from a side angle), you can see the purplely/green colour when it catches the light, the same way people’s glasses with AR coating sometimes give off funny coloured reflections).

We understand you’ve been affected, but at the same time you’ve had a satisfactory resolution in the form of a new computer. Not everyone is out to get you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.