Stainless steel or sport

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
i have two watches on hold at my local store. One sport one stainless. I am not usually a watch wearer, but thought I'd give it a spin mainly for the fitness perks. It's a Fitbit on steroids basically. Should i go with the stainless or test the waters first and go with the sport?

Katherine Law

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
i have two watches on hold at my local store. One sport one stainless. I am not usually a watch wearer, but thought I'd give it a spin mainly for the fitness perks. It's a Fitbit on steroids basically. Should i go with the stainless or test the waters first and go with the sport?
If you are most interested in fitness perks, get the Sport. I am speaking from personal experience and it is light and comfortable. Actually one of the lighter, more comfortable watches I have ever worn. Sometimes I barely even notice it's there.

n8huckins

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
Sounds like you're more on the fence than not, so keep a minimal initial investment. Get the sport watch with sport band, then pick up maybe one other band (leather loop?) for wearing with your every day stuff. I think you'll be pleased based on what it sounds like you want to get out of it.

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Quite honestly the only thing that's hindering me from going all in on the sport is the scratch thing vs sapphire glass.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2014
Sounds like you're more on the fence than not, so keep a minimal initial investment. Get the sport watch with sport band, then pick up maybe one other band (leather loop?) for wearing with your every day stuff. I think you'll be pleased based on what it sounds like you want to get out of it.
Agreed, Sport and sport band are a good combo and I just got another band for mine yesterday.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2014
Quite honestly the only thing that's hindering me from going all in on the sport is the scratch thing vs sapphire glass.
It just comes down to are you willing to fork out another $200 for SS? If yes, then go for it. I'd just get the sport and get applecare with it.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 68030
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I have had both and to be honest in my opinion you would have to wack the sports screen pretty hard to damage it.
If you just want the watch for casual use then go with the sport. If you need it as a daily watch and appreciate a bit of bling then go with the SS

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
just get a $15 Zagg HD protector for the Sport (BestBuy will pricematch Zagg.com they have it for $20 in-store). I put mine on the day I got it and it's awesome and basically invisible and no issues with peeling up on the edges or anything like that. With the Gen2 rumors already hitting why invest so much in the SS if you can jump in for less to make sure you actually will benefit from having/using it:

Reactions: ATS

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
just get a $15 Zagg HD protector for the Sport (BestBuy will pricematch Zagg.com they have it for $20 in-store). I put mine on the day I got it and it's awesome and basically invisible and no issues with peeling up on the edges or anything like that. With the Gen2 rumors already hitting why invest so much in the SS if you can jump in for less to make sure you actually will benefit from having/using it:

SOLD! Thank you and everyone else

Reactions: Mojopin

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
SOLD! Thank you and everyone else
If you do get the Zagg HD, don't forget to register it on Zagg.com and if you have any issues with it they send you a new one for the price of shipping ($3.99) and they provide an envelope to send the old one back just needs a stamp. I've had it on for over a month with zero issues and have the security of getting the replacement just in case as well.

here's another shot:

Last edited:

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
I had the Sport for 2 months.. since the 24th when I received it. I love the watch but the sport does NOT look like a watch, much more like a sport band/fitness tracker.

Ended up calling apple the other day and told them I wanted stainless.. they allowed me to go into a store, return my 2 month old watch for full price paid and apply that amount towards a stainless steel.

I now have my 42mm Stainless BSB and I absolutely love it. Same exact experience but if feels so much better and visually looks so much more like a watch. Worth it to me for the stainless/sapphire and ceramic.

Reactions: ATS and SarZ

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I have both and I agree the SS is the better of the two watches. Both function the exact same way, so it's just the look you're paying for. With the SS I don't worry about scratches on the body or screen. The minor scratches you do get on the SS you can quickly buff out with a polish. Can't do that with the sport. Both have it's advantages, so it's up to how much you want to spend. My morning jogs are with the SS and weight isn't an issue. If I'm thinking of how "heavy" this watch is, I'm clearly not focused on my exercises.

ATS

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
North Carolina
I have the Sport and like it. I probably should have gone with the stainless steel, but since this is a first gen product I'll just get a stainless steel when the second generation is released. I like the fact that you can change the look with bands and cases, so the Sport suits me fine for now.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2014
I prefer the ss but got the sport, because it's going to be my casual watch. I'll still go for a mechanical in dressier situations. $600 for what's essentially my beater watch was getting pretty steep. It is good looking though.

Nodger

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I've got both - SGS and SS - and it's D-day for me as the 14 days are up. Was erring to the SGS as its more casual/sporty but I made the mistake of wearing the SS for work today and there's no doubt its the nicer watch! Just not sure how comfortable I'd be wearing it in active situations - hiking, kayaking, gym etc. - the Sport is def lighter and I havent been worried about dinging the watch or screen

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I went with SS since it looks better (this is of course my opinion and others may like the sports colours better). I haven't regretted my decision.

With a leather band I think my watch looks very nice indeed.

NumBerS912

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Cheltenham, UK
I had the sport as I panicked ordered on that first day. had it since 24th but always felt a little regret and finally gave in for the SS which arrived today (ordered last Saturday which was a pleasantly quick delivery) I was very happy with the sport but definitely the SS feels a more premium device. I like the feel of the weight and catching reflections on the casing. I just wanted more option strap wise that the sport currently does not give.

redman042

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2008
It's a tough decision and a very personal one. I bought a SGS and after a week and a half I just had to upgrade to an SS with Black Leather Loop. Much happier with this one but part of it was that I didn't like the all-dark matte look of the SGS. Otherwise the Sport is a nice watch but just different and not as premium.