Stainless steel or sport

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sirenized, Jun 19, 2015.

1. sirenized macrumors regular

i have two watches on hold at my local store. One sport one stainless. I am not usually a watch wearer, but thought I'd give it a spin mainly for the fitness perks. It's a Fitbit on steroids basically. Should i go with the stainless or test the waters first and go with the sport?

2. Katherine Law macrumors newbie

If you are most interested in fitness perks, get the Sport. I am speaking from personal experience and it is light and comfortable. Actually one of the lighter, more comfortable watches I have ever worn. Sometimes I barely even notice it's there.

3. n8huckins macrumors regular

Sounds like you're more on the fence than not, so keep a minimal initial investment. Get the sport watch with sport band, then pick up maybe one other band (leather loop?) for wearing with your every day stuff. I think you'll be pleased based on what it sounds like you want to get out of it.

4. sirenized thread starter macrumors regular

Quite honestly the only thing that's hindering me from going all in on the sport is the scratch thing vs sapphire glass.

5. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Agreed, Sport and sport band are a good combo and I just got another band for mine yesterday.

6. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

It just comes down to are you willing to fork out another $200 for SS? If yes, then go for it. I'd just get the sport and get applecare with it.

7. n8huckins macrumors regular

That being said, I owned the SS with link band, and it looks spectacular.

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I have had both and to be honest in my opinion you would have to wack the sports screen pretty hard to damage it.
    If you just want the watch for casual use then go with the sport. If you need it as a daily watch and appreciate a bit of bling then go with the SS

9. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

just get a $15 Zagg HD protector for the Sport (BestBuy will pricematch Zagg.com they have it for $20 in-store). I put mine on the day I got it and it's awesome and basically invisible and no issues with peeling up on the edges or anything like that. With the Gen2 rumors already hitting why invest so much in the SS if you can jump in for less to make sure you actually will benefit from having/using it:

[​IMG]

10. sirenized thread starter macrumors regular

SOLD! Thank you and everyone else

11. Mojopin, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015

Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

If you do get the Zagg HD, don't forget to register it on Zagg.com and if you have any issues with it they send you a new one for the price of shipping ($3.99) and they provide an envelope to send the old one back just needs a stamp. I've had it on for over a month with zero issues and have the security of getting the replacement just in case as well.

here's another shot:
    [​IMG]

12. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

These screen protectors suck they ruin the screen experience.

13. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

If you get cheap ones.

14. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

absolutely not, my Zagg has been flawless and awesome. I have compared with my friends watch that has no protector, and he just got his 1st scratch while mine is flawless

15. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I had the Sport for 2 months.. since the 24th when I received it. I love the watch but the sport does NOT look like a watch, much more like a sport band/fitness tracker.

Ended up calling apple the other day and told them I wanted stainless.. they allowed me to go into a store, return my 2 month old watch for full price paid and apply that amount towards a stainless steel.

I now have my 42mm Stainless BSB and I absolutely love it. Same exact experience but if feels so much better and visually looks so much more like a watch. Worth it to me for the stainless/sapphire and ceramic.

16. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I have both and I agree the SS is the better of the two watches. Both function the exact same way, so it's just the look you're paying for. With the SS I don't worry about scratches on the body or screen. The minor scratches you do get on the SS you can quickly buff out with a polish. Can't do that with the sport. Both have it's advantages, so it's up to how much you want to spend. My morning jogs are with the SS and weight isn't an issue. If I'm thinking of how "heavy" this watch is, I'm clearly not focused on my exercises.

17. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

I have the Sport and like it. I probably should have gone with the stainless steel, but since this is a first gen product I'll just get a stainless steel when the second generation is released. I like the fact that you can change the look with bands and cases, so the Sport suits me fine for now.

18. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I prefer the ss but got the sport, because it's going to be my casual watch. I'll still go for a mechanical in dressier situations. $600 for what's essentially my beater watch was getting pretty steep. It is good looking though.

19. Nodger macrumors member

I've got both - SGS and SS - and it's D-day for me as the 14 days are up. Was erring to the SGS as its more casual/sporty but I made the mistake of wearing the SS for work today and there's no doubt its the nicer watch! Just not sure how comfortable I'd be wearing it in active situations - hiking, kayaking, gym etc. - the Sport is def lighter and I havent been worried about dinging the watch or screen

20. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

SS all the way... So much classier

Attached Files:

21. Nodger macrumors member

Classier yes - not necessarily better. Some like a sportier look.

22. advan031 macrumors 6502

I went with SS solely based on a tan leather strap looking better with SS.

23. srshaw macrumors 6502

I went with SS since it looks better (this is of course my opinion and others may like the sports colours better). I haven't regretted my decision.

With a leather band I think my watch looks very nice indeed.

24. NumBerS912 macrumors member

I had the sport as I panicked ordered on that first day. had it since 24th but always felt a little regret and finally gave in for the SS which arrived today (ordered last Saturday which was a pleasantly quick delivery) I was very happy with the sport but definitely the SS feels a more premium device. I like the feel of the weight and catching reflections on the casing. I just wanted more option strap wise that the sport currently does not give.

25. redman042 macrumors 68020

It's a tough decision and a very personal one. I bought a SGS and after a week and a half I just had to upgrade to an SS with Black Leather Loop. Much happier with this one but part of it was that I didn't like the all-dark matte look of the SGS. Otherwise the Sport is a nice watch but just different and not as premium.