Stand-alone 27" LED Cinema display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hitekalex, Oct 20, 2009.

1. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

So now that 27" iMac is out.. Do you think Apple will release a stand-alone 27" LED Cinema screen?

Schiller has already said that 30" LED is still a difficult engineering feat, so it's probably some time away.. But 27" at the right price point would be a great alternative when 24" isn't enough.

The resolution of new 27" iMac (2560x1440) is only slightly lower than full 30" ACD (2560x1600). On the other hand, it offers 60% improvement in pixel area over 24" LED (1920x1200). I'd certainly consider upgrading from my 24" if the price was right.

2. kolax macrumors G3

They'd have to offer a matte version if it was to appeal to professionals.

3. uv23 macrumors 6502

I was seriously disappointed that new cinema displays weren't released today alongside the new iMacs. I'm still holding off on the 24 because of price and gloss.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

+1

It'd have to be matte for me to even consider it.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I am really hoping that they won't adopt the 16/9 ratio to their "Pro" (matte) displays, if they will ever come again.

But after fitting 2560 on a 27" inch screen, I am really looking forward to a much higher resolution on a 30", maybe 32" inch display.
    Please Apple, do me that favour!

6. kolax macrumors G3

Last 16:9 v 16:10 debate, two members ended up being banned and the argument lasted 10+ pages before being locked!

Anyway, 16:9 is fine on a 21.5" panel if you are coming from a 20" panel, because you are keeping the height, just adding more width.. Like a 16" MBP using 16:9 compared to a 15" MBP using 16:10.

Be interesting to see if Apple do adopt 16:9 across all their products though.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I didn't want to start a discussion, I just don't like 16/9. As a software developer I am grateful for every pixel in height that I can get.

8. kolax macrumors G3

You could look at having dual displays and have one hanging vertically rather than horizontally.

[​IMG]

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Oh Apple keeps neglecting the Cinema Display...any shocks.

10. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I was just thinking the same thing, and about to start a new thread asking it :p

I don't see why they wouldn't, didn't they make the 24" to go with 1. MBP and 2. iMac? And now that the iMac has a MiniDisplay Port (well, has for a while) I don't see why they wouldn't....a 27" LED would go great with a MBP in my opinion....

Only time will tell.

Here's more speculation: with the new MacBook a little bit better then the 13" MacBook Pro, the MBP may be seeing a product refresh soon methinks...When the MBP line is updated, a new display may also be in the works since that is what apple seems to market their LED displays towards, is the notebook line...maybe having both 24" and 27" and maybe adding a 21.5"

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

- The 27-inch iMac supports video input via its DisplayPort connector, allowing the machine to be used as a display for external sources.

Did anyone else see this?!?

I might consider buying an imac 27" (lowest end version) just for the display to hook up to my mac pro!

12. Esrhan macrumors newbie

I reeeaally dislike the idea of paying for a fully functional computer just to strip it down to a display. All that hardware just standing there behind the screen, unused. Unless it would be possible to use it to help with rendering...

13. macinla macrumors newbie

Not a bad idea. The price for the low end 27" is $1,699. The 30" ACD is $1,799. And it's almost the same resolution. Wonder if you can use the camera in the 27" somehow?

14. akadmon macrumors 68010

So if Apple is able to sell the 27" iMac for $1699, how much do you think they would sell the bare display for? A $1000 seems fair. I don's see how they could justify selling it for much more than this. If they tried to, nobody would buy it, because for an extra couple hundred they could have a whole computer.

On a different topic, does anyone know if the 27" iMac can be used in portrait mode? It is VESA mountable, so it should be possible.

15. hitekalex thread starter macrumors 68000

hitekalex

The 24" LED is $900, so no way 27" will be $1000. I think $1399 may be the right price point - about halfway between 24" and 30".

I would much prefer a normal monitor to a full-blown iMac, even if the price difference is not dramatic. Just need a good monitor for my Air, don't want all that computer electronics sitting there burning energy and generating heat.

16. akm3 macrumors 68020

It seems that this input would have the same problem the current 24" ACD has in that you can't put anything INTO it except displayport out.

I would love to be able to hook (xyz adapter to MDP) another computer (vga/dvi), HDMI from a dvd or xbox 360, etc into this 27" iMac, but right now I believe that is impossible?

/edit: Except with a ~$160 box

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

While we're on the subject, I'd really like to see a 21.5" display as well.

18. akadmon macrumors 68010

No way? The low end 24" iMAc was $1499, which is $600 more the the 24" ACD. Judging by this, the 27" ACD should sell for $1099 or less. The 24" ACD will be discontinued as soon as a 27" ACD hits the Store, just as the 24" iMac was today.

I'm not in the market for a new computer (already have one that meets or exceeds all my computing needs), but would like to get something bigger than my 24" monitor (Dell). I'm reluctant to get the 30" ACD because it's gotten long in the tooth and is incompatible with some current tech. I'd settle for the 27" ACD, though, even in spite of the bad form factor (16:9), provided, ofc, it comes in matte.

19. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

It took almost a year to go from 24" to 27". Only another 3" to get to a 30" display. Maybe in another year or so we will finally see the elusive 30" LED ACD?

20. hitekalex thread starter macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Time will tell.. The 27" 3.06Ghz iMac is actually an incredibly good deal at $1699! I can't believe it's only $200 more than the 21.5" machine. Apple must be really taking a hit on their profit margins on this model to boost their holiday sales.

I really doubt Apple will discontinue 24" LED, even if they start offering 27"/30" LED. Unlike iMac, there is no 21" display on the "low end", and there are a lot of people who will never pay $1000+ for a monitor.

21. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm looking at it as a display for my MBP, and just use the iMac as a server which I was going to get a Mac Mini for.

This combo will save me money over what I was going to do which was a mini + a 30" display + dual dvi-adapter.

22. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I hated it at first, but I am starting to see it make sense from a business standpoint. Apple needs to increase their market share which means offering the same excellent products that are more affordable or at least in tune with the competition. I think that wait for reducing manufacturing costs and moving more computers into the market is very key before they release more expensive high-end peripherals for them. I would imagine that june-ish of next year is about the right time. Prices for manufacturing will be low enough and after this holiday season, their market share is going to increase. It will probably be a little while longer, especially since I would think it is now almost too late to release the product for the holiday season.

23. macshark macrumors member

Apple shocked everyone by putting a 2560x1440 27" panel (which was unheard of until yesterday) in iMacs AND offering the combo machine at a price point that is lower than the previous gen 24" high end iMac. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3840x2160 32" Cinema Display being introduced before the end of January.

Would such a display require two display port connections?

P.S. No matter how crazy this may sound, there is some precedent. Just as there was a larger (47") 2560x1440 panel out there that was used to build high-end 47" LCD TVs and displays, there is also a large (56") 3840x2160 panel that is currently in production which is used for very expensive display units.

24. rmpstudio macrumors member

New Display

I've posted on this topic several times on this forum hoping for some new rumors telling of the mythical reemergence and rebirth of the aging 30" display.

Alas, i've recieved no such lofty insight. But, this particular thread has helped me work through some of my hypotheses regarding Apple R&D. My conclusion? I think that since apple is eliminating the 24" iMac line but keeping the 24" display, i suspect they will NOT release a 27" display. When it's all said and done, I expect Apple to have:

1) 21.5" iMac,
    2) 24" display,
    3) 27" iMac,
    4) 30" LED MATTE display