Stand in line at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zord, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

Ok, with all the news of the new iPhone "selling out"

Should we even bother with trying to stand in line @ Apple Stores on the 14th??

2. allmanbrother macrumors member

Pre-orders are sold out. There will still be stock in Apple stores on launch day.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I'll be standing in line. I plan on going Thursday morning.

4. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I'm going to stroll on over to my Apple store sometime in the afternoon, probably around 3pm to see if they have any Verizon stock left. My disappointment in lack of redesign and indecisiveness has caused me to miss the pre-order window.

5. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Still getting my head around people standing outside a retail shop from 4am or 5am waiting for the shop to open at 8am and even not knowing if there gonna get a unit !

Don't get me wrong I always sing the praises of apple and her products.

I aint gonna stand 3 hours outside a shop tho !

7. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I did that last year with my pre order being sent to my local Apple store, and even then with a pre order I was standing in line for 4 hours. Apple gave all of us food and drinks, ice cream chocolate etc, it was a neat experience but I have found a better thing to do with my time then stand in line. This time around I pre ordered and have it ship to my house, but I may still take a stroll to the Apple store just to see the lines.

There are those who never pre order and just show up each year, but experience aside that is a rough way to spend your day.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Last time I did this was back in 2005 for the XBOX 360. I got in line at 10PM the night before and didn't leave until 8AM the next morning after purchasing a unit.

9. iTabone macrumors regular

I went to the NYC 5th avenue store last year around 4 PM the day before and I was fifth on the reserved line which got to go in first.

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Camping is fine sometimes. Especially for Apple product!

11. KDDatabase macrumors member

I'm doing the overnight thing Thurs. afternoon after my late class gets out. Anybody know if the store keeps the wifi on overnight?

12. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

I'm in the exact same situation as yourself. I didn't expect to line up last year with a pre-order, but ended up spending four hours waiting. This year I sent it to my home. Much easier!

:cool:

13. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

First iPhone launch?

If you plan on rolling in at 3 in the afternoon, don't bother.

This is already the most successful iPhone launch ever. The lines will be nothing short of staggering.

14. j4bles macrumors member

I'll be in line since Apple nor AT&T would send the phone to my work. I got in line at Midnight for the iPhone 4 release and was 180th in line. From the sound of it, I should show up at Midnight again, but I don't have it in me. I'll get in line around 4 AM. Hopefully they do a headcount shortly after my arrival and if I don't make the cut, I'll go home and go to bed.

I'm getting old, I can't wait 11 hours in line again :(

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Waited in the line last year with my fiancee and it was miserable.

Would much rather simply have my phone delivered then stand for hours

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You mean you're going to stroll on over to the end of the massive line and decide if you want to wait 3 to 4 hours to get in. :eek:

17. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

They do. At least the Gateway store does.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I stood in line for the first iPhone. That was fun. It felt cool to be a part of something new.

I stood in line for the iPhone 3G. It felt cool to be a veteran.

I stood in line for the 3GS, which I had preordered. That's when the fun ended. The non pre-order line was shorter than the pre-order line and non pre-order people who arrived after me got in before I did. Never again I vowed.

I pre-ordered the 4 online while traveling in the UK and it arrived the day I got back. Utterly painless. The only regret was I didn't get to work on my tan while in line for 4 hours.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This lol. I snapped a very very long video of my local store after the iP4 launch (I was first in line). I need to post it so people know what they are up against lol .

20. tritonj macrumors 6502a

why is there disappointment? apple is following their product release cycle and it was expected

21. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

I heard that best buy's pre-order is different this year…I was wondering, if I went to a best buy on the 14th (without having pre-ordered) could I buy one there to get my 4S?

22. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

I'm with you! Well, looks like I will be in line early Thursday morning. :D

23. f00f macrumors 65816

We stood in line last year -- or should I say camped -- at the only Apple Store here in eastern Long Island. We didn't pre-order so we were just testing our luck (and taking a day off from work).

Needless to say we didn't have any luck -- no good luck, any way.

We got to the store (which is located in a mall) around 2am. We were 150th or so in line at that point. The line hardly moved over the next 9 hours. Ultimately abandoned that mission and went home iPhone-less.

A few days later I called Best Buy on a whim. They had just gotten 10 phones in stock. Told 'em to hold three (me, wife, and my boss). After driving to the store it was about 20 mins tops between walking into the store and walking out.

This year we pre-ordered. Phones will be delivered on Friday, to my doorstep.

The Apple camping experience was good to do once. Never again! :D

24. urkel macrumors 68030

Some people love camping out and thats fine, but I dont get it. I know there was a big mess with Best Buy preorders but it seemed to be straightened out prior to the 14th so my phone should be ready for me at 8AM with no lines, no fake clapping and I get to sleep in a bed.

25. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Im camping out--starting thursday after work--4PM