Standard Configuration vs. CTO and why: your choice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Sep 15, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Curious to know if you guys prefer to buy the standard config machines or customize your orders and why, just for curiosity to see the different schools of thought.:)

2. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I still do not understand why they don't offer customization at the Apple Store. Surely a "Genius" can handle swapping a HDD for a SSD or adding RAM.

4. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I wouldn't want one of them numpty's stripping screws or scratching up a brand new MBP I was just about to pay for! Its one thing doing simple repairs on an old laptop but you can't expect them to assemble as well as a clean room in an electronics factory.

5. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I would opt for the high-res anti-glare (but refurb) and buy the upgrades from another vendor such as OWC. If the glare wasn't an issue with me, I'd probably buy from Amazon instead to save on sales tax.

6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

It's always struck me as odd why they don't at least offer the highest CTO configuration as a standard config at the Apple store.

For example, when I bought mine, it was top CTO across the board--2.8, 4 GB, 320 GB @ 7200. None of those were really expensive or out there options. It seemed weird that I had to custom order it.

I'm not saying they should carry a 512 SSD model as a stock config, of course not because hardly any would move. But you think they could at least keep the highest processors, maxed non-SSD hard drive (size and speed) and maxed RAM as a 4th standard config machine, or simply replace the high end standard config with the highest CTO.

At the very least, they could throw a 7200 RPM drive in on the top standard configuration.

7. bamf macrumors 6502

I did a CTO on an early 2008 MBP to add a 7200 RPM hard drive. At that time, the hard drive was not user serviceable. Now, not really a reason to CTO unless you want a different display. Everything else is cheaper after market.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Standard configuration because I can get that in store. I don't have to pay for shipping (well overnight anyways). I usually end up with matte upgrades, so the top end configuration is usually in-store with that option which works out for me in the end.

9. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I was going to order a CTO one online, but they wouldn't give me tourist tax free, so store it was!

10. wilflare macrumors member

11. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

You mean HR AG??

I got that upgrade as well.

Or did you really get a Anti Resolution High Glare screen??....doesnt sound good lol

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You didn't know? You can get a 15.4" mirror instead for $50 off.

13. wilflare macrumors member

ooops. typo there. HR-Glossy i meant!
    now waiting for the replacement to come and fit in my corsair F60

14. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Speaking only about the 15" (haven't looked at the 17"), the problem with going w/ refurbished for the high-res anti-glare screen is that it's only available on the top of the line macbook pro. So in order to get it, you would also be paying extra for the other upgrades (i7, 500gb, 512mb). The difference between the base price of $1529 and fully loaded w/ HR AG at $1999 is $470 - which is pretty significant.

However, if the Hi-Res Antiglare was a must, looking at the price breakdown:
    1) Refurb: $1999 for the 15" top of the line w/ everything + high-res
    2) educ discount base $1699 + $135 for HR AG putting you at $1835 + tax.

Seems I might as well go refurbished for an extra $165 for the improved processor, graphics card, and bigger HD. Or maybe I'll just skip the display and cheap out on the $1529 MBP

I wish there was a base model 15" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz i5 w/ HR AG that was refurbished.

15. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I was able to buy my 17" MBP with the i7 and HR Anti-Glare in the store. They had a pile of them in-stock. But if you ask an Apple "Sales" agent from Apple Tele-Sales or "Chat" they will tell you it is not Available in the Store since it is "Custom".

The only upgrades that CTO would offer besides that are over priced from Apple directly. I did the RAM and SSD myself.

Suggest calling the store and asking them what they have in stock. The Apple guy told me they keep some stock of "Popular" customized models that people ask for Regularly. Trying to cater to the "Impulse" buyer.... which worked for me. I was going back and forth about ordering one online. I was fiddling around with one in the store and he asked me what I was thinking about getting. When I told him the options, he was like "I have a couple of those in back, you won't even have to wait for it to ship!"

20 minutes later I was walking out of the store with a MBP.

16. Kernel Panicky macrumors newbie

Kernel Panicky

I just picked that config. yesterday through the Apple refurb store. Priced at $1649... Don't know how many they had but I checked about an hour after I ordered mine to see if they had more up there and the option was gone.

17. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

One store here in Mass that I asked can customize whatever you want. They have all the base models, so you can get whatever screen + processor you want, and they can swap whichever HDD and RAM you like.

I plan on doing a cto for a hi-res screen with a bigger HDD. I debated on the HDD, which I can save ~$60 if I do it on my own, but I'm also getting the 3 year apple warranty, so I figured why not have it all covered by one single warranty. Anything goes wrong, I just take it to an apple store, easier than having to take the HDD out and mail it out for its OEM warranty.

18. movieboy23 macrumors regular

I will continue to go CTO until Apple makes matte displays standard again on their MBPs.

I go CTO for the screen and the processor, but usually end up doing HDD and RAM upgrades on my own for significantly less than what Apple would charge for the same upgraded config.

19. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    you don't have to take the HDD out to mail it in for warranty. Although w/ my last repair, they took out the hard drive I put in (saying it was defective) and put the original 80gb in for my model. They shipped the pulled out 320gb in the box. Once I got it, I put the 320gb back in because it worked fine.

oh wow, well I'll keep checking over the next couple days and see if it comes up. That's what I really want and the $350 savings is nice - unless the i7 and 512mb extra graphics card memory are really worth it. If I don't open the $1999 15" i7 macbook pro I ordered and take it back then I don't have to pay restocking fee right? Is there a restocking fee for a refurbished mac (I'm assuming there is)

20. Kernel Panicky macrumors newbie

Kernel Panicky

I don't know definitively but I would assume the policy is the same as new Macs... If returned unopened = no restocking fee; if returned open = restocking fee.

Hopefully another one comes up for you! I was stoked when I saw it. Been watching the refurbs for the last 3 weeks several times per day and never saw that config once and then my money for school came through and literally as soon as I noticed the money was available I checked the refurbs and that config was there! I had just checked refurbs about a half hour prior to the money going into my account and nothing. It was like a sign!:D

Fedex shows it will be delivered tomorrow before 3pm! Yay!

21. x0r-lord macrumors member

There is no High Res option for the 17", they're all 1920x1200. it's just AG.

I don't understand why somebody would spend the money at Apple....

I bought a brand new one (literally still sealed in the box) from usedeverywhere.com (craiglist like website) I got the 15.4" core i7 Standard Glossy for $1900. I got 8GB of Mushkin CL-7 DDR3 for $104/Sodimm (CanadaComputers.com)and upgraded myself (sold 4gb for $60)

I paid $2077 for the 15.4" core i7 with 8GB after taxes, get a deal like that at the apple store. (I have 1 year apple care, and the computer is registered)

a 1680x1050 AG complete Official Apple Lid is $600 from a AASP in Ontario.
    apple wont sell you upgrade parts, but AASP's will ;)

22. x0r-lord macrumors member

that would be because 3 years is the shortest warranty you will see on a HDD, many are 5, or even 7. for example my Seagate 500GB has a 5 year manufacturers warranty.

and depending on where you live, taking it to the apple store isn't always easier, or faster.

you just lost your hard-drive... your data is gone, Apple/Seagate are just going to give you a new drive - your still screwed unless you had redundancy - NOTHING is easy about replacing a boot drive.

Apple has no problem charging you for warranty coverage that they get for free from the OEM

23. dslade09 macrumors member

Apple stores carry the AG screens in the highest base model. ex. 15" i7 4GB 500GB AG.

and the same for the 17" i7 4GB 500GB AG

24. deeesea macrumors 6502

I was going to do a CTO for the HR screen (i was still on the fence for the Anti-glare, I was thinking aftermarket film for the screen depending on the severity of the glare, i personally didn't believe all the heresay about it). but then on the last second, I said nah screw it, don't want to wait for the shipping (I was never good with christmas gifts either :p).

Still though, my first macbook i never did a CTO, went with the midteir 2.2 ghz.
    now with this mbp, i went with the base model 2.4. The extra 0.13 ghz doesnt really translate to a noticeable difference on day2day use. and I sure as heck don't have the kind of money (university student life is a very poor one indeed haha) to drop for the core i7. and the i7 i don't really need for a kin student's lifestyle (hell i dont even need an i5). So i decided on the base tier mbp. everything else i can add when i have money.

Dropped a SSD + optibay clone off ebay into the machine now. boots up nice and fast, it's good enough for me.

25. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I have an external drive to backup.