Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KidFresh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
NYC
Let's say a personal apocalypse takes place with you misplacing your beloved iPhone. :eek:
It is no where to be found. :(
Luckily, you are later contacted by the finder. :)
He/she asks for a reward to return your prized possession to you. :rolleyes:

What amount would you be willing pay?

If you're the iPhone finder, what amount would you request?

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If you have their contact information and they have your property and are refusing to give it back call the cops, they can't do that.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Let's say a personal apocalypse takes place with you misplacing your beloved iPhone. It is no where to be found. Luckily, you are later contacted by the finder. He/she asks for a reward to return your prized possession to you.

What amount would you be willing pay?

If you're the iPhone finder, what amount would you request?

I would not request anything. If the owner wants to give a reward I would say 50.00 would be nice.

iLoveiPhone3GS

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
I'd probably give someone $20 bucks if they found my phone. If he asked for more, I'd tell the police I found the person who stole my iPhone!

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
if they asked for a reward, i wouldnt give them anything... thats just rude! but if they didnt ask anything i would probably give them 20 or 40 dollars

KidFresh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
NYC
If you have their contact information and they have your property and are refusing to give it back call the cops, they can't do that.
Well, the finder probably wouldn't contact you if they have no intentions of returning your phone.

KidFresh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
NYC
if they asked for a reward, i wouldnt give them anything... thats just rude! but if they didnt ask anything i would probably give them 20 or 40 dollars
So out of principle, would you tell that person to "just keep it"?

KidFresh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
NYC
True but if they're asking for money before they return your phone, it's called bribery and it's a crime.
Just play along... You lose your phone at the airport. Finder pockets the phone and contacts you from Hawaii (where he/she lives). The finder requests money to ship your phone back. Are you only going to paypal him enough funds to cover only shipping, insurance, etc. or would you tack on a little extra?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Just play along... You lose your phone at the airport. Finder pockets the phone and contacts you from Hawaii (where he/she lives). The finder requests money to ship your phone back. Are you only going to paypal him enough funds to cover only shipping, insurance, etc. or would you tack on a little extra?

I would definitely give a reward. UNLESS that person had the audacity to ASK for one. They should be returning the phone to you because it's the right thing to do, not because they want to make a quick buck.

Like I said, refusing to return the phone because you don't give them a reward would be a crime. You have their contact information. Make sure they're aware of that and understand the position they've put themselves in.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I agree

Offering a reward to a decent honest person is well decent. However somebody that's expects it is likely to say is that all etc.. they probably already know what the phones are worth plus your contacts and expect a decent reward. I think doing so is wrong, ask the police what you should do at this point. hopfully you have MobileMe to track your phone as well. ;) but don't try it yourself!

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
So out of principle, would you tell that person to "just keep it"?

no, its not out of principle, if they found my iphone and asked for a reward i would say " your reward is not going to jail". but i would give them a reward if they did it out of the goodness of there heart.

how do i know that this person didn't steal my iPhone and felt guilty about it afterward so they decided to contact me saying they "Found" it .

djrayz

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
I am still a student and I make an okay amount of income to afford my iPhone. If I ever lose my iPhone and someone is willing to return it back to me (via iPhone finder) I would reward somewhere between $60 and $100.

Here are my reasons why...
*I just qualified for my 3G S upgrade of ($199) and I won't be able to get another iPhone 3G S for that price.

*The higher your reward, the more of an incentive it is for the person to return the phone to you

*I've been using iPhones since the 1st Edge phone and I am waaaay to used to the UI of the iPhone. Switching to another phone would make me less productive. The more time I could save w/ my productivity the better.

Those are mostly the reasons. I have also come to the reason that once the iPhone is out of my hands, who knows what the other persons motives are when they get the phone. In the US, money is a big incentive for people and it is a pretty good common ground between strangers. I can only hope for the best if my iPhone gets lost.

awad

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
last summer my mom dropped her phone in a parking lot and a group of around ten 10-11 year olds found it. i called it and they told me where they were. i showed up, bought them 2 boxes of popsicles and gave them a $20 to split and they were real excited.

so i'd probably give them a box of popsicles.

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
last summer my mom dropped her phone in a parking lot and a group of around ten 10-11 year olds found it. i called it and they told me where they were. i showed up, bought them 2 boxes of popsicles and gave them a $20 to split and they were real excited.

What if it were during the winter? Would you still give them popsicles?

And it's crazy that they actually were able to answer the call. But I guess sliding your finger across the screen doesn't take a college degree... except for the college aged kid who didn't "know how to work one of those things." :rolleyes:

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008

And it's crazy that they actually were able to answer the call. But I guess sliding your finger across the screen doesn't take a college degree... except for the college aged kid who didn't "know how to work one of those things." :rolleyes:

i dont think it was an iphone, he just said phone. either way, most people can figure it out when it says "Slide To Answer" or "Accept","Decline" even if they are 10-11 years old

wahoo10

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
I lost mine at college and when the guy returned it to me finally (he held on for it for two days, suddenly "found it" when I turned the service off) and I brought him a hamburger, fries, and coke from McD's when I met up with him to get it back, and then drove him to the library from his dorm.
There should be no money exchange, except for maybe to pay for shipping/insurance (it could run them $20-30, more with quicker delivery/insurance, so it's fair to ask to cover shipping)

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania

That's really cute :D And I agree $20 is sufficient, I think.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto

What do you think children are stupid? I know many kids who are way younger than that who can operate cell phones fully... I hope you were kidding.
/facepalm

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i wouldn't take anything if i were the finder.... as a matter of fact.... i've been the finder and refused money! i just told the person that if they ever find a phone... return it! (it wasn't an iphone)

pattman247

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
My own experience

Well last year at this Toronto festival I found a sony Ericsson slider, so I call home in the phonebook and the girl picked up..I told her I found her phone and she got excited, so we organized a meeting place and time, 5 minutes later I get a call from her phone and it was her boyfriend threatening me to give it back. I still did, but looking back..they didn't deserve it. She didn't think I would show so got her scronny boyfriend involved in this lol.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
If I found some one iPhone all I would ask for is enough to cover the shipping/insurance cost.

I will not ship it back at my expense because it is not my fault they lost it. Now if they treated to call the police if they I do not ship it back at my expense I would just threw the phone in the trash and be done with it.

Same goes the other way around. I would offer to cover the shipping cost back to me and that is it. I would throw in a little extra but not much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.