Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Drained about 6% last night. The 6am screen on time was me checking my phone and turning off WiFi.

700cad37486a8bc8261b0d74dffd6f4a.jpg

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Nope. Prior to iOS 11.4 an iDevice would lose like 1-2% over 8+ hrs.
I just checked some of my notes from a couple years ago when I was super OCD about standby drain and I’d log my hours and % loss overnight and actually I did have slightly less overnight drain on my 7 on iOS 10.

Over a 7.5 hour period I’d lose about 3-4% overnight on my same current 7 on iOS 10.

Just checked last night and I went from 94% to 87% over 7.5 hours. So another 7% loss. That’s with all apps closed and I have full cell and WiFi and a new battery. So.. I guess I tend to agree.

There does seem to be something going on with standby drain with iOS 12. With a brand new battery I’d expect a max of 4% like back when my 7 was new on iOS 10.

But I’m going to try to go back to my regular charging overnight and not obsessing over things that really don’t matter routine! :)

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
I just checked some of my notes from a couple years ago when I was super OCD about standby drain and I’d log my hours and % loss overnight and actually I did have slightly less overnight drain on my 7 on iOS 10.

Over a 7.5 hour period I’d lose about 3-4% overnight on my same current 7 on iOS 10.

Just checked last night and I went from 94% to 87% over 7.5 hours. So another 7% loss. That’s with all apps closed and I have full cell and WiFi and a new battery. So.. I guess I tend to agree.

There does seem to be something going on with standby drain with iOS 12. With a brand new battery I’d expect a max of 4% like back when my 7 was new on iOS 10.

But I’m going to try to go back to my regular charging overnight and not obsessing over things that really don’t matter routine! :)

It takes a lot longer to drain from 100% to 99% than it'd from 50% to 49%. And the battery percentage drops aren't always linear.
Also, never close apps manually. It'd only make things worse.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
It takes a lot longer to drain from 100% to 99% than it'd from 50% to 49%. And the battery percentage drops aren't always linear.
The only reason this happens is because the phone will only show "99%" when the battery drops below 95% total charge. 95-100% will show as 100%.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Also, never close apps manually. It'd only make things worse.
Trust me I’m very aware of this. But I closed all the apps just at the off chance one of them would go haywire overnight which has happened before. I usually never close apps on a daily basis.

And yes I know about how it takes a lot longer to drop that first percent. Apple has been doing this forever on the iPhones. I’ve had the 4,5,6 and now 7.

I usually test the drain at percents lower than 80 because above that apple’s algorithm is still trying to make it look like you have more battery than you do.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
Trust me I’m very aware of this. But I closed all the apps just at the off chance one of them would go haywire overnight which has happened before. I usually never close apps on a daily basis.

And yes I know about how it takes a lot longer to drop that first percent. Apple has been doing this forever on the iPhones. I’ve had the 4,5,6 and now 7.

I usually test the drain at percents lower than 80 because above that apple’s algorithm is still trying to make it look like you have more battery than you do.

Sounds like you have it all covered;)

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
With wifi off, low power mode and airplane mode, if it drains 2% over 8 hrs that’s:

1. An ananoly
Or
2. Defective phone
Or
3. You need to start afresh after a DFU restore.
Or
4. iOS 12 is still a mess.

Without airplane / low power
4G / Wifi on

I would expect a recent iPhone to drop 1-3% or so. Max 4%. Over 8-10 hrs.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
With wifi off, low power mode and airplane mode, if it drains 2% over 8 hrs that’s:

1. An ananoly
Or
2. Defective phone
Or
3. You need to start afresh after a DFU restore.
Or
4. iOS 12 is still a mess.

Without airplane / low power
4G / Wifi on

I would expect a recent iPhone to drop 1-3% or so. Max 4%. Over 8-10 hrs.

Well, last time I tried the same thing, it dropped 5%. Much better this time. I will try the same with WiFi + cellular next time.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Low power mode wouldn’t really make a difference, as I don’t use the Mail app, nor do I use background app refresh. The CPU throttling shouldn’t make a difference either as it’s in sleep.

But low power mode also disables Hey Siri.

And why not try with and without it to see if it makes a difference. :)

Rhino1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Simplest way to measure all of this is to switch the percentage meter off and just charge your phone whenever suits you.. sometimes our 'first' world problems become 'first first' world problems.. :) and if that doesn't help, change the battery and repeat step 1... :)

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Tap to wake seems to be the culprit on X devices. With it on I drained ~5% overnight, with it off I only drain 1-2%. It makes sense that this will use more power as it needs to keep the digitiser powered on.

Now that I know the cause of the drain, I really couldn’t care less.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Tap to wake seems to be the culprit on X devices. With it on I drained ~5% overnight, with it off I only drain 1-2%. It makes sense that this will use more power as it needs to keep the digitiser powered on.

Now that I know the cause of the drain, I really couldn’t care less.

I always keep it off. My X still drains.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Do you have 4G and Wifi on? Do you have low power mode off? Do you have Hey Siri on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.