Standby time and Usage time the same on 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ninjapenguinart, Jan 22, 2011.

1. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

My gf's iPhone 3gs for some reason never fully goes into standby, as in when it's in standby it still thinks it's being used. This causes her phone's battery percentage to drop 40% over night. It is a recurring event, and I have tried restoring from a back up, and the problem went away for awhile but it is back again. Here's pictures of what I mean.

Before Bed
    image-1.png

After Bed
    image.png

As you can tell battery dropped 40% and when the iPhone wasn't in use it still thinks it was.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Same thing happens to mine.
    I restored it, it worked fine for a bit, then the same issue.
    So I restored it again, and now its working fine. I assume the problem is going to come back soon again.

3. JamesMB, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I would think that there is an app or something running that is causing this. What apps are running in the Multitask bar? Have you tried clearing the Multitask bar and retesting?
    Another thing to check.. Make sure that the iPod is not left playing...if the phone is in silent mode, this is very easily overlooked. When the earbuds are unplugged, and the phone is locked, the ipod will continue to play and the phone will show in use...I learned this the hard way...:rolleyes:

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

5. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

It's not jailbroken and she clears out all of her apps from the multitask pane before bed time.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

7. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

The iPod is also not running. Nothing is running yet it still thinks something is.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

What about location services or notifications/push? I wouldn't think that those wouldn't prevent standby mode, but....
    You might also put it in airplane mode at night, if that clears it up, then that would prove that something, has been using the internet, when you are not expecting it to.

9. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

Notifications is off and push is off too, but I noticed in the advance it showed Yahoo for fetch, and push so I set it to just fetch. We will see if that works tonight and if not airplane mode the following night.

10. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

She tried the airplane thing and it worked. So is there a way to check to see what is using the internet continuously without being open? I mean the only thing I can think of that would do that is mail, but it's set for fetch every thirty mins and not push.

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You might turn fetch off, and just set it to manual, until you get this figured out. Without knowing what apps that you have running, it would be just a guess. The only thing that I know to do now, since we know that it it most likely an app that is doing it, is by the process of elimination. Start removing apps until you find it.
    I notice that you said that notifications and push is off, but you didn't say whether you had turned off location services. I don't think that is it, but location services can really drain the battery, depending on how the accuracy is set in an individual app.

All that said, I don't see how it could be an app, if the multitask is getting cleared out every night, but I bet that there apps out there that run in the background even when closed. What about clearing multitask and doing a reboot before bed....Have you tried that?

12. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

If it was a location service thing it would show the arrow in the top right but it doesn't, but I'll tell her to try the clear multitasking and restart, because that should clear the memory and hopefully stop whatever is running.

13. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I agree about the location services, the arrow would certainly tell you. What is strange about this though, is that whatever it is allows the phone to sleep, but not to go into standby. It acts like the ipod, but when the airplane mode stopped it, that totally eliminates anything that doesn't use the internet. How many apps does she have on there that use the internet? Another thing that you might do, is close any open Safari pages.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I still haven't figured out the solution to this problem either.
    My phone started doing it again ... time for a restore (again).
    At least I only have to restore every month or so.

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

What have you tried, besides restoring? We don't know what is is yet, but we know what it isn't.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I literally have all types of data connections off (push, fetch, etc)
    I have to say though, I haven't tried restoring as new. I've only restored from a backup. Restoring from a backup temporarily fixes the problem for a few weeks.

I'm just gonna keep restoring as a backup until I get a new phone because I dont want to go through the hassle of losing my contacts, pictures, text's, etc. Since the problem comes every month or so, I don't really mind. Whenever I get a new iphone, I'll just start that one off fresh and manually transfer the contacts.

17. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

We tried airplane mode, and that stops it, But other than deleting apps one by one, I don't know anything else to try. Might try to put some sort of trap on the router, that would certainly tell the story.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Oh, I should probably mention that this is with Wifi off too.
    I think doing a complete restore would fix it, but I'd really hate to do that at this point in time.

19. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

Wait is it just wifi off or both wifi and data services off? I mean if it's both then it's essentially airplane mode, and if it's having different experiences than airplane mode than that would be really weird.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The problem occurs if
    WiFi On/cellular data on
    WiFi On/ cellular data off
    WiFi Off/ cellular data on
    WiFi Off/ cellular data off

Note: Push, fetch, notifications ... they are always disabled.

21. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

22. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

Does it still persist for you when airplane mode is on? I might check that about wifi and cell data off to see if it persist with that setup because it doesn't persist with airplane on.

23. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

Hey I just checked with wifi and data off and the problem was still there. That means that it's not an application using internet, because the internet is off. This means that it has to be a cell tower communications thing. Like you are in an endless loop of getting some sort of cell transmission be it a voice mail, call, or text.

24. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Wow...That really narrows it down. My money would be on Voice Mail. I don't think that it would be trying to resend a text that failed.

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So I told you guys yesterday that my phone was not going into standby, but it started going into standby. :D Which means I dont need to restore again :cool:
    Right when it hit 18 hours of usage, it started going to sleep. now its reporting 1 day 11 hours standby, 19 hours of usage.

Will report back how it does throughout the rest of the day.