Standby times - 3G vs. EDGE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Baggy Spandex, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Simple question really.

Ceteris paribus, full service on each network the whole time and all features otherwise the same...is there a battery life difference between the 2 networks while in standby?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iPhone will last longer on battery if it is using a 2G connection (GPRS | EDGE). 3G connection will consume more battery power hence decreasing its longevity.

3. Baggy Spandex thread starter macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Assuming by your reply, that applies to standby as well?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It applies to standby, but for a per page amount while surfing, you'll get more pages vs. battery life on 3G than EDGE.

5. Baggy Spandex thread starter macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

I see. I totally accept the fact that using 3G for data will have a more levying effect on the battery life. I always use 3G when WiFi isn't available, but it would be nice to be able to leave it enabled all the time and know it won't drain the battery faster in standby (as minor as it will be).

6. firewood macrumors 604

The one with the strongest signal will require the lowest power from your iPhone's transmitter to stay on standby. If you have a nearby and strong 3G signal, then Edge may not save you much standby time. If you only have one bar of 3G then that will really eat up the battery life.