Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baggy Spandex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Simple question really.

Ceteris paribus, full service on each network the whole time and all features otherwise the same...is there a battery life difference between the 2 networks while in standby?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Simple question really.

Ceteris paribus, full service on each network the whole time and all features otherwise the same...is there a battery life difference between the 2 networks while in standby?

iPhone will last longer on battery if it is using a 2G connection (GPRS | EDGE). 3G connection will consume more battery power hence decreasing its longevity.

Baggy Spandex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2009
I see. I totally accept the fact that using 3G for data will have a more levying effect on the battery life. I always use 3G when WiFi isn't available, but it would be nice to be able to leave it enabled all the time and know it won't drain the battery faster in standby (as minor as it will be).

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The one with the strongest signal will require the lowest power from your iPhone's transmitter to stay on standby. If you have a nearby and strong 3G signal, then Edge may not save you much standby time. If you only have one bar of 3G then that will really eat up the battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.