Standing desks

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by rhyme, Apr 13, 2015.

1. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

Anyone care to speculate on whether the Watch will be smart enough to distinguish time spend working at a standing desk from time spent sitting? I hope so (because I use a standing desk for about 6 hours each day), but it's hard to see how it would know the difference.

2. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I am wondering about this myself. I work at a call center tethered to my desk by my headset. Between calls (or during long calls) I stand at my desk. I'm hoping we don't have to be standing and walking. I have about 2 feet I could move before my headset would be yanked off.

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

It should be smart enough to tell the difference. I don't know how, but I'm pretty sure it can.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Watch is all like "please sit down, you've been standing 6 hours it's not good for your back!"

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

That's when it says "Time to stand. It's great for your health!"

6. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I still cannot figure out how it knows you are standing versus sitting but standing a long time does not create the circulation issues we get from sitting so long. At least you will get credit from the app for those hours standing.

7. rhyme thread starter macrumors regular

rhyme

I think it must rely on the position and movements of your arm. Arm hanging at your side: probably standing. Arm swinging: probably walking. Arm out on a desk or on your lap: probably sitting. Which is why I think it may have trouble with standing desks, unless it remembers that it moved upwards when I first stood and it hasn't moved down again.

My desk is easily adjustable, so although I might rack up 6 hours standing over the day, it isn't all in one go. Typically, I stand from 8:30 until around 11am, sit until lunch, go for a walk at lunch if I have time, stand again for a couple of hours after lunch, sit for hald an hour or so, and stand at the end of the working day. This gets the best of both worlds, healthwise.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So if your arm is in a sling you are permanently sitting? hehe

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I use a standing desk all day. Should be interesting to see if the watch knows.

10. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

If it doesn't work for you, if you are an edge case, you can just disable it.

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Hmm this is a very good point. I have an electric standing desk at the office and spend at least half of my day standing. It will be very interesting to see how well it works.

12. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

but what if you stand all day like working 8 hr shifts? how will that thing work, im wondering that since i have to have retail job on weekends while i work my own business on weekdays so i can see that working or doing its job on telling me to stand up.

13. kovey macrumors 6502a

I think it's more like "hey dick, you've been stationary for two hours. move around, regardless of you standing or sitting."

14. Chiguy12 macrumors member

Chiguy12

hahahaha

15. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

Your heart rate is higher standing than sitting, so hopefully it will help the watch decide.