Star explodes halfway across the universe

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JNB, Mar 21, 2008.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Dang... and some people still believe that the universe is only ~10,000 years old :rolleyes:

That is truly amazing, it is hard to believe the universe is as massive as it is.

3. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Yes, but does it count if no-one actually saw it? ;)

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Thats not a good thought.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

So if a star explodes and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

6. c073186 macrumors 6502a

How can it be "halfway" across the universe if the universe is infinitely large and has no end?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

We recorded it though. So it happened.

EDIT: The Universe is not infinite.

8. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Oh well pardon me, I am not a scientist. That's just what they told us in elementary school ;)

9. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

From what I've seen on TV, if we were in the direct line of one of these gmb's, it would kill most if not all life on earth in a very short time. Forget about near by planets, these things are powerful enough to kill from many, many light years away. Now that's scary.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I wasn't trying to be chauvinist. Anyway think of the age of the Universe (+/-14 billion years) as a distance in light years. Therefore if you could travel, instantly, this distance you would end up at the end of the Universe, or perhaps you'd end up right back where you started (if the Universe is round like the Earth). But it's proposed the Universe is flat so you'd reach some sort of limit or something (no one really knows what's outside the Universe).

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well whats on the other side of the wall where it stops? nothing....like space? lol

to say that the universe is finite is like saying time is also finite and doesnt run into eternity. kinda just boggles the mind

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The idea of Infinity is something that can easily keep you awake, because can something that is infinite have a beginning? And at the moment we claim that there was a beginning to the Universe. What is outside the limit of the Universe? I dunno Vanilla Shakes?

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Very true. Shows the insignificance of the human race.

:D

:D :D

Interesting question.

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There are theories that other universes (possibly with different laws of physics) are floating around, hitting into each other, creating little and big bangs all the time, some of which create new universes.

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

String theory to be exact. Looks like someone else watches Nova as well ;)

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry, but the Universe is not infinitely big. GimmeSlack is right.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha prove it:p

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Okay, I'm not a cosmologist, and I don't even stay at cheap motels that allow me to fake it convincingly but the best I understand it is something like this:

Space is curved. What does this mean? Think about a sphere. When you're far enough away to look at the whole thing, it's clearly a finite three-dimensional object, but when you're really up close standing on the surface it appears you are standing on a two-dimensional plane. You can walk as far as you like on this "plane" but you'll never reach an edge, and no matter where you stand, it always looks like you're in the center of the plane because everything looks the same in every direction. Although there is no "edge" you can reach, the surface area of the sphere is finite.

The Universe exhibits this same property, but with (at least) one additional dimension. No matter where you are in the Universe, the area around you looks like a three-dimensional space, and distant space looks uniform in every direction. There isn't an edge of the Universe you can reach because you're doing the equivalent of roaming about the surface of a sphere, but nonetheless the Universe has a finite volume. Even if you could travel infinitely fast, there isn't an edge you could reach.

19. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

It's not infinite but it is increasing in size everyday - faster and faster.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you mean the mass is expanding faster and faster

the space is already there lol

21. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Sorry, but how can anyone state categorically that the universe is or is not finite? Being a regular on MacRumors does not empower your words nor diminish how silly you sound.

22. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Why isn't it? Wouldn't you rather the planet die instantaneously rather than over about a month like what would happen if the sun simply turned off?

(Of course, our sun will not explode but slowly expand... engulfing the Earth but not the entire system... and then and then shrink to an incredibly small size).

23. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The volume of the Universe is not the question, but rather the amount of energy in the Universe. And according the law of conservation of Energy, there is neither energy being created or destroyed. In the end the amount of expansion of the Universe may be closed (big crunch theory) or open (gravity isn't strong enough to pull it all back together).
    There is a finite amount of energy in the Universe.

I think Hawking has a pretty good hold on the current status of what it all means.
    http://www.generationterrorists.com/quotes/abhotswh.html
    Scroll down to origin and fate of the universe (or do a find for the words).

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

finite enrergy and mass but what about empty space?

25. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Its called a vacuum, technically there are still atoms here and there in a the vacuum, but ultimately its empty.