Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

105022-mac_plus_500.jpg

TUAW reports that auction house Profiles in History will be auctioning off as part of a sale scheduled for next month a Macintosh Plus given by Apple to Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. The auction description states:
This is the very first Macintosh Plus 1Mb personal computer to come off the assembly line at Apple Computer in Fresno, California. It was presented to Gene Roddenberry as a gift by Apple Computer, Inc. and bears the serial number F4200NUM0001. The Macintosh Plus was a revelation among personal computers when it came on the market in 1986. With 1 Mb RAM (upgradeable to 4Mb), it supported the double-sided floppy disk format and was the first Mac with a SCSI port for fast data transfer to and from an external hard drive. The Macintosh was the first mass produced computer to utilize the mouse and the Macintosh Plus was the longest-lived Macintosh with production until 1990. It features the beige-colored case with 9 in. display, 3.5 in. floppy drive and includes the short keyboard, external floppy drive, mouse and Apple logo padded carrying case. An incredible artifact with a wonderful association between the visionary computer designer/manufacturer and legendary Star Trek creator. Accompanied by a signed letter of provenance from Gene Roddenberry’s son, Rod.
As the report notes in an update, the machine was apparently originally built as an early production Macintosh 128K, but was upgraded to a Macintosh Plus by Apple. The computer is expected to fetch $800-$1200 at auction, less than half the original retail price of the machine.

105023-mac_plus_rear_300.jpg

105024-mac_plus_serial_500.jpg

Article Link: Star Trek Creator's Macintosh Plus to Be Auctioned

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
That would be great for a hardcore Starwars and Apple fan. Now all we have to do is wait for someone to post "FAKE!" in this thread... :p

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Only $800-$1200? That's not very much. I guess I expected it to get more, being a collector's item for Mac enthusiasts and Star Trek enthusiasts.

dmcdan0

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Very cool

I love how it says Made in the USA. That sticker alone should be worth something.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Wow, I'm surprised about the price. Back in the days when I had any disposable income :))), I'd happily have paid more than that, just for the model number, never mind that it was owned by Roddenberry!

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
Upgradable to 4Mb!!

My first PC had 640K and was upgradable to 2Mb. I remember spending a fortune doing just that. I cannot imagine what a 4 Mb upgrade to a Mac would have cost back in the day.

I wonder how long it would take to transcode a DVD box set of all Star Trek series and films to iPod format??? [I know, iTunes won't run on it, before someone flames me!]

Phil

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
so the case makes it portable, right!

Yes, I had professors who told me they used to carry their Macs

Why?
Computers were expensive at that time
Mac is one piece with handle
They either take power cable, keyboard, mouse in the bag or have another set.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Only $800-$1200? That's not very much. I guess I expected it to get more, being a collector's item for Mac enthusiasts and Star Trek enthusiasts.

It will likely go a lot higher. Given how much some of the more random pieces went for at Christie's. Many of those pieces went for 10 times the expected amount.

This is the first Mac Plus produced and owned by Gene Roddenberry. It could of potentially have been used for writing some episodes of TNG. I think Star Trek fans will drive the price way up. Especially the really nutty ones that would even try finding one of his hairs in the keyboard or case to store and save for when cloning him would be possible:eek:.

exodus

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2004
lol@1200

Mark my words, that will fetch an infinitely higher price than 1200 or what ever. Add another zero or 2.
-Ex

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
The auction description makes it sound like this was the 'first' Mac Plus off the assembly line, when it clearly isn't.

As TUAW reports and by the serial number, it's a Mac 128k upgraded to a Mac Plus. It's even had it's power supply replaced at least once (the power switch is platinum, sure sign of a board swap).

So, not much of a piece of computer history, but does have value as a computer owned by Gene Rodenberry.

If it comes with floppy discs, maybe you'll find a long lost script for another Star Trek spinoff on it. :)

Mousse

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Does it include a "Hello, Computer!" voice command mouse?

It'd command a higher bid if it did. That scene from Star Trek 4 was pretty funny.:) On an interesting note: they still use QWERTY keyboards in the 23rd Century. How else would Scotty be so skilled at touch typing? His fingers move with such speed that it appears he was only mashing the keyboards.:D

Mark my words, that will fetch an infinitely higher price than 1200 or what ever. Add another zero or 2.

I'd agree IF it was the same Mac that made an appearance in ST4, otherwise, I can't see anyone paying more than 5K.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The auction description makes it sound like this was the 'first' Mac Plus off the assembly line, when it clearly isn't.

As TUAW reports and by the serial number, it's a Mac 128k upgraded to a Mac Plus. It's even had it's power supply replaced at least once (the power switch is platinum, sure sign of a board swap).

Correct, and has since been updated on TUAW and on the auction site.

Still worth a pretty penny though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.