Star Trek!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wjlafrance, May 27, 2010.

1. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

I know I'm not the only Trekkie here, so here's a few questions for everyone!

Favorite series?
    Favorite series captain?
    Favorite Starfleet captain?
    Favorite character?
    Favorite episode?
    Favorite movie?

My favorite series and series captain are probably Voyager and Janeway. Janeway dealt pretty well with being lost in the delta quadrant 75,000 lightyears from home. Most captains probably communicate with Starfleet Command pretty often and big decisions can be passed up to admirals, whereas Janeway was on her own.

Both favorite captain and favorite character are tied, both between Data and Spock. As a computer programmer I really related to Data's struggle to make his programming behave correctly as a human, whereas Spock was just cool.

My favorite episode is either the TNG or Enterprise finales, and my favorite movie is First Contact, since it establishes a huge backstory.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Great. Macheads aren't teased enough for being nerds, you have to start this thread!:)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oh man, I love Star Trek.

Favorite Series: The Next Generation
    Favorite Series Captain: Captain Picard
    Favorite Starfleet Captain: Captain Bateson & Captain Garrett
    Favorite Character: Lt. Commander Data
    Favorite Episode: Yesterday's Enterprise, Cause & Effect, The Measure of a Man, and many, many others.
    Favorite Movie: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn (had a huge crush on Lt. Saavik)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well they need to do something when leaving in their parents basement. Its either talking about favorite star trek episodes or playing dungeon and dragons :p

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't think they need to leave their parents basement to do that at all! In fact, put a toilet and fridge down there and they aint never coming up!

6. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I'll probably take some heat from hard-core Trekkies (Trekkers?), but by far, my favorite series was Deep Space 9. But I should clarify this a bit though... I really enjoyed Seasons 5-7 of Deep Space 9 (when Ronald D. Moore of BSG fame took over the series). They were absolutely fantastic. the other seasons, were "typical" Trek IMO.

Season 5-7 had complex characters with depth and dark sides. It was a nice blend of sci-fi, religion, and relationships. It had good multi-episode story arcs, and explored the effects of war over several seasons.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It was also a complete rip-off of Babylon 5, a show that actually did have a beginning, middle and end to a great story line.

8. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I admit I've never watched Babylon 5. Honestly, I just never got around to it. But you're not the first person to mention this to me. I'll have to check it out.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You should if you are into sci-fi. It holds up to this day and plus, you can watch it pretty much straight through without waiting for the next season. (It doesn't pick up to season 2 though so give it a chance. Also, avoid the lame tv movies made after the series.)

10. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

I currently live in my parents basement. I have a pizza oven, fridge/freezer combo, microwave, and full bathroom. Don't judge me. :)

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Favorite series? Voyager or TOS
    Favorite series captain? Kirk
    Favorite Starfleet captain? Not sure
    Favorite character? Spock
    Favorite episode? City on the Edge of Forever
    Favorite movie? Wrath of Khan or First Contact

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Judge you??? I ****ing envy you man!!!! I have a two by four area of the guest room for my stuff, the family gets the rest!

Really? A pizza oven in the basement? Thats so cool.... do u live in Jersey?

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

to actually answer you...

Favorite series? TNG
    Favorite series captain? Picard
    Favorite Starfleet captain? Same
    Favorite character? Hot Vulcan from Enterprise (seriously hot, beyond hot)
    Favorite episode? When Picard woke up on that world where he was told he had a family and played the flute and had a whole life there...
    Favorite movie? Tie: undiscovered country and kahn (although the new one was very good.

14. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

Wisconsin.... and the envy ends! I'm 19 and in community college getting an A.A.S in programming, then I'm getting kicked to the curb, though.

15. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I was actually lucky enough to find a wife that loves Star Trek! I think her fave is Picard though. We've watched them all though and have them all downloaded, on dvd, and movies on blu-ray.

Speaking of... I think tonight is a Nemesis night.

bahah.
    Love that one. For the old movies.. her fave is The Voyage Home and mine... I really like KHAN! ahhaha The new movie was really decent too though. Star Trek is good stuff... "Everyone lean to the left! To the right!!"

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Totally forgot about Nemesis. That was a great action movie. Very well done and exciting. I think it is very underrated and even Trekkies seem to have avoided it for some reason.

17. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Nerd or not, I love the series--well at least the first two anyway. I had thought that I liked the first one the best but I just finished watching all of The Next Generation through Netflix and I have to change my allegiance to TNG.

So of course my favorite caption is Jean-Luc--and yes to add even more nurdness to this, I really admire the character as someone I could aspire to be like. Jean-Luc is also my favorite character--although Worf is also pretty cool as are most of the crew in TNG.

I don't really have a favorite episode or movie. One thing that I found interesting comparing the original series and TNG is how the roles of First Officer and Captain are reversed as far as personalities are concerned.

18. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Favorite series? Original series & TNG (tie)
    Favorite series captain? Kirk & Picard (tie)
    Favorite character? Spock
    Favorite episode? Yesterday's Enterprise
    Favorite movie? ST IV: The Voyage Home

Most Overrated Series: DS9
    Most Underrated Series: Voyager

Worst Movie: Last year's reboot.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Favorite Series: The Next Generation & Season 3 on DS9
    Favorite Series Captain: Captain Picard
    Favorite Starfleet Captain: Captain Picard
    Favorite Character: Captain Picard
    Favorite Episode: The Drumhead
    Favorite Movie: Nemesis, but none of the movies really did it for me.

20. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Not really a fan but i used to watch them sometimes if nothing else was on. Thought DS9 was by far the weakest.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'm wondering which side of the door to the basement the padlock is on, my guess is that it isn't on your side of the door. :eek:

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

ds9

Janeway

again Janeway

Garak

The Magnificent Ferengi

The one with the whales

23. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

1) Seven of Nine
    2) Seven of Nine
    3) Seven of Nine
    4) Seven of Nine
    5) That one where Seven of Nine pretends to be a french chick.
    6) Dark Frontier was as long as a movie, does that count?

24. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha. A true trek fan!