Star Wars box help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pullman, Sep 26, 2013.

1. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

I'm building a movie catalog of great stuff for my daughter to watch and noted that Star Wars is absent from iTunes. By this I mean, of course, episodes IV, V and VI.

So I need to buy them on DVD (I don't have BR) and rip them, but which box should I get? There seem to be a few.

To make things more complicated I recall from the good ol' VHS days that some remastered versions with extra scenes and CG were released. Are they any good or should one stay awaaaay?

TIA
    /p

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The remastered DVDs are just fine. The only "huge" change is the whole Han shot first bit, but to be honest I never read much into him shooting first or last, which tended to be the whole crux of the argument. I haven't searched but I believe the original, original trilogy is out of print so you'll likely only find it for steep prices. Just get the redone ones and if there are finer plot points that you don't like the changes of, talk to your daughter.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have a couple different versions of the VHS, DVD and Blu-ray. I like the Widescreen version with luke and darth clashing on the cover. This one has the original un-edited version.

This is the version that has the un-edited version:
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Tri...UTF8&qid=1380201624&sr=1-3&keywords=star+wars

This confirms it in the one of the reviews on the site and you will also notice that each movie has two disks as opposed to just one disk in the other versions.

There is this version: Which I like for the extra disk.
    http://www.amazon.com/Trilogy-Empir...UTF8&qid=1380201527&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Gah! Grrr...

[NERD RAGE]HANS SHOT FIRST! The entire complexion of his character is colored by this. Hans shoots first = Hans Solo is a scoundrel looking out for #1. Hans shooting afterwards = Hans Solo is a man of scruples who acts in self-defense.[/NERD RAGE]

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ha.. I agree..... Han didn't shoot first dang it!!!!!!!!!!

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Personally I would prefer the original versions.
    The new ones have the annoying scene with the CGI Jabba the Hutt and the other CGI add ons that spoil it for me.

How old is your daughter? Mine started watching them when she was around 6 I believe.

We watched about half of The Ewok movie, caravan of courage the other day. I'm really hoping she forgets to watch the other half.
    I don't think I helped matters by adding a humorous commentary.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

They made these DVD's from the LaserDisc masters...

(hugs LaserDisc set)

8. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

There are fan made versions who literally put waaay more effort and love into that than Lucas' butchered stuff. I won't advertise them or say that they are beautifully and perfectly edited version in Blu Ray quality, though. You should at least shell out money once for George. :D

I have no hope at all in a new Disney release of the classic, original, world changing version, though. They butcher, censor, edit their own releases just as bad.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Really, didn't know that. I know what set you are referring to, to. Hm very interesting.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Now that Disney owns Star Wars, it should get on iTunes eventually.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

We TRON fans got a beautifully restored HD version when TRON: Legacy was released, so you never know....

12. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Yes? That's good news then. They could make loads of money by that (I guess - loads of Star Wars nerds complain about that).

I was just eyeing some old animated movies from Disney, Black Cauldron for example, and they edit it in a way I refuse to pay for it + making the older version unavailable (in my experience that is). I don't want to illegally download them as well, so I hate a situation like that.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Okay, what is this Han shot first or didn't shoot first stuff? Honestly, this is the first I've heard of it. :confused:

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, you better turn in your nerd card, not knowing about the Han shot first thing :p

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, see; this is why they wouldn't issue me one in the first place! :eek:

17. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

That's the truth

18. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks a lot for the replies (as an aside, I was wondering why my question didn't spark any replies until I realised today that Gmail has marked the forum notifications as spam...).

My daughter is 8,5 months old so it's early days yet :) but one can't start early enough.

I'll get the original versions released 2008. I couldn't stand seeing Christensen's face pasted into the frame. Gah.

But just so I understand; the 2008 set contains both the unaltered ones and the changed ones - this is the reason there are two discs per film, right?

What about screen formats though? I'd prefer if the image isn't cropped so letterboxing is OK with me.

Edit: Umm here in Europe it seems Amazon only has this version, which appears to be the altered version, or?

cheers and thanks again for your help
    philip

19. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

IT WAS PRE-EMPTIVE GREEDO WAS ABOUT TO SHOOT HAN

*Breathes deeply* Look as the wiki article spells out the dialouge is very clear that Greedo was about to shoot Han:

BLAM

So Greedo was just one of a long line of villains, major and minor, who prefer wasting time talking about what they will do to their victim rather than doing it.

[/NERD MODE]

20. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Anyone who doesn't know or isn't concerned about Han shooting first has no relevant opinion here. You are not qualified to answer the OP as a fan or even as an informed person.

2006 DVD Releases - Each movie was released individually with both the unaltered original version as well as the 2004 altered version. It's not a "box", but that's how you need to buy them for the originals.

If you are not after the originals, then buy the bluray set. It has the most extras and is the highest quality (obviously).

21. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Don't agree with decafjava; dialogue is dialogue, shooting to kill something different, hence it was one of the rather few movie-'villains' who got shot by the 'good' guy without actually doing something. A rare and memorable moment in Hollywood popcorn cinema.

Also, the added CGI to streamline it with the then upcoming prequels does nothing for me. Well, it actually bothers me a lot (especially Haydn Christiansen). But I can see that younger -ignorant :p - audiences do prefer this over the originals.

22. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I never denied Han shot first, I just meant Han could say it was pre-emptive if he wanted to. :D

23. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

:D

You bet he would! lol

24. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Am I the only one thinking a child under a year old is actually starting too soon?

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Never to young to start them in the Star Wars universe. Heck mom should have been reading the books to him/her while still in the womb along with playing John Williams Star Music to him/her!!!!! :D