'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Trailer Recreated on Vintage Apple IIc Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Animator and illustrator Wahyu Ichwandardi has shared one of his newest projects on Twitter this week, where he recreated the entire two-minute trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi on a vintage Apple IIc from 1984, using the bitmap paint program Dazzle Draw and a KoalaPad+, both from the same year (via TechCrunch).

[​IMG]

The project required 48 floppy discs and 288 image files, totaling 6MB of storage space. For post processing, Ichwandardi used Apple Disk Transfer ProDOS software and a floppy disc emulator device to copy all 288 image files onto a modern MacBook Pro. The result is a full recreation of the first trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which debuted online in April.
    It took Ichwandardi about three weeks to finish the project due to working with the limitations of the vintage hardware and software. Specifically, because Dazzle Draw doesn't have a layers feature, the illustrator had to physically lay an acetate sheet over the Apple IIc's monitor in order to create a guide for the animation in every frame of the trailer.

Complex animations required him to actually trace the characters and motion from the real trailer and redraw it back into Dazzle Draw. More information about his design process can be found in the video below.
    Proses bikinnya pic.twitter.com/zPTJmMpMhJ - Pinot (@pinotski) June 26, 2017
    Ichwandardi has posted a few updates regarding the Star Wars project on his Instagram page, where users can also check out some other art made on an Apple IIc. These include posters for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, as well as an image of former Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

Article Link: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Trailer Recreated on Vintage Apple IIc Computer

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Oh wow, as someone whose husband still has a fully set up and functioning IIe, it makes me happy to see this.

I remember poring over magazines trying to decide between a IIc or a IIe. While unbeknownst to me, in a neighboring more upscale town, my future husband was doing the same.

I was from a poor family so I actually ended up with an Atari 800XL from the bargain bin of a now defunct store called Zayre's/Ames and made good use of it the rest of college. It was my word processor. My husband got the IIe. It worked out because I had no talent for programming and a IIc or IIe would have been wasted on me. My husband was a different story and his family's purchase launched him on a career.

3. Saipher macrumors regular

Saipher

4. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

I had a IIe, a Mockingboard B card with DMCS, an Apple Monitor II, an ImageWriter, joysticks & paddles, 2x5.25" floppy drives with about 400 software titles, all in perfect condition. When I returned from college (with my Mac SE) I discovered that my mother had given it all away.

I could've gotten away with murder, as I'm sure the judge would've completely understood.

5. omihek macrumors regular

omihek

Kylo Ren doesn't have a chance against the Jedi, especially since Rey already beat him with absolutely NO training.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Oh l... :eek:

I'm properly wincing hard here. God knows what your reaction must have been. I bet it still hurts too.

7. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

Just shocking...we feel your pain.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Oh my God! I think that has to be the worst mom-gave-my-stuff-away story I have ever heard! :eek::eek::eek:

There is a lot of stuff around here I'd like to get rid of, but I know better. Never get on the bad side of the people who will be picking my old folks home! :p
    --- Post Merged, Jun 27, 2017 ---
    Everyone I know calls him Darth Emo or Darth Snape. When there was that scene where Rey demands that he takes his mask off, and he does, people in the theater yelled "Put it back on!"

9. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

Ummm the audio was more than 8 bit. That should have been converted as well.

10. camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

I still have the Apple //c I loved so much in high school -- my parents gave it to me when they moved last year as it was just taking up space in the basement. I booted up Ultima IV and it still had my old save game file! LOVE that computer.

11. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

This trailer is the product of someone who doesn't know how to program, but really should learn how.

Seriously, if you make this by hand, you're completely squandering your time.

12. masterhiggins macrumors regular

13. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That was pretty freaking awesome, definitely very nerdy :)

15. Sill macrumors 6502

I have my original Apple II since it was new, AppleSoft firmware card, Novation Apple Cat II modem, and loads of software, some of it exceptionally rare and perhaps valuable. Since then, I've accumulated another five machines, including a complete IIgsWoz edition with signed authenticity letter from Woz, and several shelves of software new in the box to go with it.
    This stuff has come along every time I've moved, and I've never come close to getting rid of it. In fact I've thrown out items that were far more commercially valuable instead. My parents would not have dared give away my machines. I couldn't imagine coming home and finding out someone made that decision for me.

16. Guy Clark, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

Guy Clark macrumors 6502

Great example of what is still possible and proof that you do not need the latest Graphics to achieve impressive results. Of course this cannot be compared to modern day Graphics. To do so would be absurd but this is an example of how far Apple were ahead of the competition during that era.
    A nice distraction whilst awaiting the release of the first macOS High Sierra Public Beta.
    Definitely Nerdy but at the same time great to see.
    Not a waste of time. An example of the power of the Mackintosh.

17. justperry, Jun 27, 2017

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Indonesians have too much time, believe me.;)

18. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

I think you would have been well within your rights to grab her car keys and pink slip and give them away to some random person in return. "Oh sorry mom, I didn't think you'd mind."

19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Apple should release an Apple II App so that you can do that on your MacBook Pro or iPad. A 64-bit Apple II App.

20. bobdobalina macrumors 6502

I have zero nostalgia for 1980's era illustration software. Call it trauma.

But this does make me wonder if in the year 2045 today's Photoshop, etc. will look as crazy and antiquated as this does.

21. iMacC2D macrumors 6502a

I knew almost the moment I saw this was posted on MacRumors that someone would have to chime in like this.

It's impressive, that's what it is, that someone could see the fun not only in what can be done with a computer, but in the computer itself, exploring the limitations of the hardware and pushing those limitations beyond what was previously thought possible. The entire computer industry started this way, particularly on machines like the Altair 8800, where a bunch of individuals took a bunch of individuals chips, lights and switches and found interesting uses for it.

Not everything in life needs to be "productive" by definition, and sometimes that's how the most impressive works come about, having an idea and choosing to pursue it against better logic. I say if he enjoyed making it, and was satisfied with the outcome, then it wasn't a waste of time.

22. JackRipper, Jun 27, 2017

JackRipper macrumors regular

JackRipper

Okay, hold up. I think something is being missed here. The //c wasn't animating the video. He made several images on it and then copied them to a MacBook Pro to animate them and piece the audio together. The only impressive thing here is that he took the time to learn and use a really old drawing program on an old Apple Computer.

Waste of time? Maybe. If he enjoyed doing it, I'd say it's no more a waste of time than learning to make bird houses.

Edit: Just seeing iMacC2D already basically said what I did in my last sentence. Great minds think alike?

23. zantafio macrumors member

fantastic exercise in futility. And now all his efforts will be squashed by a DMCA takedown notice in one...two.. three....

24. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Welcome to to the nostalgic world of emulation. Btw, Dazzle Draw is one of the available apps.