Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starbucks today updated its iOS app to introduce a new feature that allows Starbucks customers to send digital gift cards to friends and family members using the Messages app.

To send a digital Starbucks gift card, the Starbucks Gifts app will need to be installed from the Messages App Store. From there, the app offers an interface with several different gift card graphic options and $5, $10, and $25 denominations.

starbucksgifts.jpg

Sending a gift card requires Apple Pay, which is used to pay for the gift card directly in the Messages app, charging the amount to an Apple Pay credit or debit card. Giftees can then use the digital gift card like any other digital gift card sent via email.

starbucksgifts2.jpg

Along with the new Starbucks Gifts feature, today's update also introduces new push notifications, a store location filter for the Nitro cold brew, and a new design and interface for the mobile ordering feature.
What's New in Version 4.3.4
Starbucks(R) Gifts in iMessage
Send a digital gift card with the Starbucks(R) iMessage app and Apple Pay. Surprise someone special with an instant gift, seamlessly integrated into your texting conversation. It's way more delightful than asking someone you love to check their email.

Push notifications
If you're opted-in to receive notifications, you may receive new messages based on how often you use the app.

Mobile Order & Pay
Reviewing your order has a brand-new look and animations. Remove or duplicate items with a tap. You can now see all customizations in the updated card views. Visual updates to suggested items.

Store locator
Are you as obsessed with Nitro cold brew as we are? Find it at a store near you with a new filter option.
Starbucks for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Starbucks App for iOS Gains Support for iMessage Gift Cards

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I used to really enjoy the Starbucks rewards program as they would give away excellent iOS apps and reward you with stars based on you're loyalty.
Now the app freebies are gone and the rewards program stars are based on the amount of money you spend.
Starbucks keeps trying to come up with new ways to separate me from my money...

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
That's nice, how about Starbucks increase the security of their app?

Starbucks doesn't authenticate when a saved credit card is used. So when your account is hacked, the hacker uses the saved CC to buy a bunch of giftcards and then transfers the balance to another giftcard.

Just delete the app and pay normally to save yourself the headache. The rewards aren't that great anyway.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I don't mind the stars for $ spent because it was frustrating when you bought coffee for a group but only got 1 star. It was great getting free apps and other treats. Now everything is a contest - come in 44 times today and get and extra star. It doesn't influence my plans. They do seem a little desperate as are so many other companies these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.