Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiddo86

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
I'm running SC2 on the newest 17" MBP 2.66 i7, 500 GB 7200 RPM, 4GB RAM.

I lose no frames at all with most set to HIGH and a few set to ULTRA... and that's running at 1920x1200x32. The game looks absolutely beautiful even on medium, but the newest MBPs can run well above that.

I definitely do not know what's going wrong with the guy that had better performance in Win7 than OSX... I couldn't run ANY ULTRA at all in Win7, but when I switched to OSX I kicked 3-4 settings up to ULTRA and my fans were blowing much slower also under OSX even with higher graphics.

Win7: All HIGH settings = fans blowing at 5500 RPM
OSX: Mostly HIGH + a few at ULTRA = fans blowing at 4500.

Sorry I can't remember which settings I bumped to ULTRA atm, but it wasn't shaders... ULTRA shaders is killer and doesn't even look that much different anyways.

My only complaint is that lowering the settings even all down to medium/low doesn't really reduce the fan RPM... I really don't like spending hours playing a game that makes my computer sound like it's a 747 mid flight... I'm working on finding the ideal settings to run the game without blowing the hell out of my fans.

Cancelled
Jun 3, 2008
On my iMac with 4GB RAM and the 512MB NVIDIA 8800GTS it runs nowhere near as nice as Windows/Boot Camp SC2 on the SAME settings.

WTF Blizzard. Any tips?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm running on a dual 3.0 with 8 GB and an HD4870 under 10.6.3 and I get constant "microfreezes". It's pretty much unplayable :(

Cancelled
Jun 3, 2008
I'm running on a dual 3.0 with 8 GB and an HD4870 under 10.6.3 and I get constant "microfreezes". It's pretty much unplayable :(

From what I'm reading on the Blizzard forums it takes a while for the Shaders to cache and should clear up after a few games.

Cancelled
Jun 3, 2008
From what Blizzard is saying Apple needs to refine the OpenGL drivers thats why the low FPS under OSX

I don't know why they would lie but I find that hard to believe. 10.6.3 just had that OpenGL update.

I guess we'll see when Steam hits to see how well those games run...

Thunderchicken

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
I don't know why they would lie but I find that hard to believe. 10.6.3 just had that OpenGL update.

I guess we'll see when Steam hits to see how well those games run...

Yes there was an OpenGL update with 10.6.3 but it doesn't mean they are refined enough like you might see on win7 or xp since ATI and Nvidia haven't had to really refine the code for this type of task, but this will help Apple get more of the games.

Cancelled
Jun 3, 2008
Yes there was an OpenGL update with 10.6.3 but it doesn't mean they are refined enough like you might see on win7 or xp since ATI and Nvidia haven't had to really refine the code for this type of task, but this will help Apple get more of the games.

But OS X runs so much smoother than my Vista. And I only have 32-bit in Vista so I effectively have 25% extra RAM in OS X. I can't believe those two things don't make up for it.

Not only does it run worse at equivalent settings, but even though they're supposedly equal, it looks worse. Pretty disappointed.

Thunderchicken

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
But OS X runs so much smoother than my Vista. And I only have 32-bit in Vista so I effectively have 25% extra RAM in OS X. I can't believe those two things don't make up for it.

Not only does it run worse at equivalent settings, but even though they're supposedly equal, it looks worse. Pretty disappointed.

Well the OS code is very refined just not the OpenGL for the tasks that Blizzard is using them.

Cancelled
Jun 3, 2008
Well the OS code is very refined just not the OpenGL for the tasks that Blizzard is using them.

Guess so. But if this is true I'll be irritated if there isn't a big patch shortly after Steam or SCII to fix these issues... I'm more worried about Steam games though.

Thunderchicken

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Guess so. But if this is true I'll be irritated if there isn't a big patch shortly after Steam or SCII to fix these issues... I'm more worried about Steam games though.

If Apple and Steam do have a big deal going then I'm pretty sure Apple will hammer out any details that is required to get things up and running to a good level and as things age only things can get better

Cancelled
Jun 3, 2008
If Apple and Steam do have a big deal going then I'm pretty sure Apple will hammer out any details that is required to get things up and running to a good level and as things age only things can get better

I mean Valve said they worked directly with Apple on this so they better have their **** together on this one. Steam could be huge and really open the Mac as a legitimate gaming platform and apple should support it.

Hell, I know tons of people (including myself) who refused to get a Mac until they could game on it. I was willing to make the Boot Camp sacrifice, some weren't.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wow, I just tried SC2 in Win7, 64 bit, on my 2008 iMac w/ ATI Radeon 2600. Blows the performance of OS X out of the water. Please, Apple, fix your OpenGL drivers.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Wow, I just tried SC2 in Win7, 64 bit, on my 2008 iMac w/ ATI Radeon 2600. Blows the performance of OS X out of the water. Please, Apple, fix your OpenGL drivers.

It might be because it's a beta? Blizzard games normally run pretty close performance wise, across OS X and Windows. Hopefully it is fixed by release.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It might be because it's a beta? Blizzard games normally run pretty close performance wise, across OS X and Windows. Hopefully it is fixed by release.

Blizzard said on their forums that the massive speed difference is due to Apple's poor OpenGL drivers, but they are doing everything they can to improve performance.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just downloaded it to my Mac; ran it at 2560x1600 with everything maxed out; looks great and plays fine.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
I finally got my key and played 6 rounds so far. On my 15" MBP with the 9600m, I can play the game at medium at 1920x1200 with decent enough framerate to be enjoyable. However, sometimes when the round starts, there is a glitch that causes the game to run at 10fps until I scout around my base, or until I scan the enemies base. But assuming Blizzard and Apple can work on improving the OpenGL code, the game should be great.

rigid

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
If anyone has an extra friend key I know someone who would use it and abuse it =).

Gulzt

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
If anyone has an extra friend key I know someone who would use it and abuse it =).

I just bought my key on eBay!! Since the pre-order action of gamestop (which we don't have in the Netherlands) the value for it has dropped significantly.

I tried 4 sales at the same time, Won 3 of those!! (of very trusted (100%) e-bay members, so I'm sure the keys work).

6, 8 and 15,50 euros. Won 2 of those for some of my friends and we devide the costs.

So if you like a key I'd recommend this route, you should be quick of course. After the first wave of keys has sold out the prices our bound to go up again...

acesam

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
I just bought my key on eBay!! Since the pre-order action of gamestop (which we don't have in the Netherlands) the value for it has dropped significantly.

I tried 4 sales at the same time, Won 3 of those!! (of very trusted (100%) e-bay members, so I'm sure the keys work).

6, 8 and 15,50 euros. Won 2 of those for some of my friends and we devide the costs.

So if you like a key I'd recommend this route, you should be quick of course. After the first wave of keys has sold out the prices our bound to go up again...

oh you can sell them on ebay? i got a beta key but i dont want to spoil SC2, been waiting a long time for this game!.

phillyphill

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
lorton
played on my mbp on high settings just fine :) in osx didnt try it on windows. tried on my desktop maxed out though ran pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.