Starcraft II delayed till 2010

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by DdMac679, Aug 6, 2009.

1. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

http://www.pcworld.com/article/169695/good_news_starcraft_ii_delayed_until_2010.html
    http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/08/starcraft-2-delayed-to-2010/

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Not surprised, due to all multiplayer being through Battlenet and no LAN support the whole system would need a beef up. One of Starcrafts big bonuses was excellent LAN gaming so now anyone who can't/won't have broadband is buggered. Great work there Blizzard :mad:
    This and the release in 3 parts fiasco makes Blizzard look like they're taking the piss.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

discouraging, given that there was a pretty polished looking demo available what, 2 years ago? I know the delay now is battle.net rather than the game itself, but still. :(

4. DdMac679 thread starter macrumors member

DdMac679

I have read on blogs that supposedly they were re-looking into a LAN option after the whole asian gaming scene freaked out on their forums.

5. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Fixed that for you. If that is true I will have to re-evaluate purchasing it but, as it stands, without LAN support I'm going to either avoid it or wait until it hits the bargain bin. I was excited about it too...

6. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Almost all the RTS gaming I do is LAN based, so unless they make a change, my puny connection won't be able to do it and I won't buy it.

7. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

I just dug up this from last year, unless things have changed then Diablo III aint going to have LAN capability either. Yay Blizzard, as an 'anti-piracy' measure you've handed it wholesale to the pirates who will reverse engineer it to support LAN. I was going to buy these on release day but not sure I'll bother with them now.
    Blizzard are probably too busy working on World of Starcraft of whatever their next monster cash cow is and that's the real reason behind the delay.

8. Bimmi macrumors regular

I'm actually okay with this news, since I'll need a new computer to run it and I really don't want to buy one yet. Dropping LAN support is pretty evil, though.

9. Cander macrumors 6502

/me takes deep breath.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Now all I got to look forward to this year is Jumpgate Evolution and I bet that will slip to next year as well. :(

Oh well. At least the chances that it won't be bug ridden lag fest is good with Blizzard not rushing it out.

10. DdMac679 thread starter macrumors member

DdMac679

Deleted (Misread)

I hope though that they do rethink their LAN based gaming. It is a shame that everything has to through some 3rd party system.

11. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Almost all the RTS gaming I do is LAN based, so unless they make a change, my puny connection won't be able to do it and I won't buy it.

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I never played Starcraft, only Warcraft, but I'll probably buy it just to support Blizzard and see how far they've come with their graphics. Also looking forward to the new Battle.net.

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Expected considering their apparent lack of progress with the Zerg and serious balancing issues.

This battle.net 2.0 is pissing me off though... its going to hurt Korean pro-scene severely.

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

People were actually thinking this game was going to come out this year? :rolleyes: It's Blizzard we're talking about! They can take as long as they want because I know the end result will be worth it.

15. letaalio macrumors member

LAN play will be available, but you'll have to connect via Battle.net to other players on your LAN. Basically to authenticate your copy of SC2. The actual playing will still be over LAN not Battle.net.

Of course, that sucks for the situations, when your internet connection doesn't work or you simply don't have one.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

StarCraft = WarCraft in space. I've played and enjoyed them both, and there's not much difference between the two other than the setting.

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

and the choice of 3 vs 2 races...seems big difference to me :D

18. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

There's enough that's different about them such that WarCraft doesn't have several cable channels devoted to broadcasting professional matches. How many WarCraft 'sports' announcers and color commentators are there? Not YouTube people. Real, paid, professional, salaried TV channel employees. Now how many StarCraft announcers and color commentators are there? At least a dozen.

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

That only proves that space battle is more popular than fantasy battle.

Minerals and gas, gold and lumber
    Supply depots, farms.
    Peasant, SCV
    Battleships, Gryphon Rider
    Build stuff, make armies, go squash your enemies. Build stuff, make armies, go squash your enemies.

You get the idea. It's the same game. Still both are fun to play, though.

20. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Nah, I don't get the idea. StarCraft has "It" in a way WarCraft doesn't. Dawn of War never caught on the way SC did. Furthermore, most of the games that come out of Korea are fantasy based, not space based.

Really, your line of reasoning is essentially, same genre, same game. Why do CS and CSS each individually have more people playing it than every other FPS combined? These are 10 and 5 year old games, respectively.

21. Cougarcat macrumors 604

This is stupid. WC3 and Starcraft are not similar at all. WC3 is about managing small amounts of units, leveling your heroes via creeping. Micromanaging. Starcraft is more oriented towards large battles. They are the same genre, and that's where the similarity ends.

22. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

I suppose this also means diablo 3 was pushed back...

23. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

You obviously don't watch Korean tv. True, WarCraft is not as popular amongst the pro scene in Korea but it does have its crowd and tv broadcasts (MBC) and others which is also in the same company as ESPN. I myself competed in WarCraft and my Korean clan was sponsored by AMD. My uncle during his prime was also a top SC player...Hyun Joon Kim (often in top 10) and I had the wonderful opportunity in meeting great SC players at various pc bangs (pc rooms).

Other comments have been made concerning changes in LAN that will hurt the Asian pro scene. Blizzard CATERS to the Asian scene more so than the America market - thanks in large part to StarCrafts immense success in Korea.

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Lol. You don't know much about either game, do you? ;)

25. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Did anyone really expect it to be released this year? :)