Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
You obviously don't watch Korean tv. True, WarCraft is not as popular amongst the pro scene in Korea but it does have its crowd and tv broadcasts (MBC) and others which is also in the same company as ESPN. I myself competed in WarCraft and my Korean clan was sponsored by AMD. My uncle during his prime was also a top SC player...Hyun Joon Kim (often in top 10) and I had the wonderful opportunity in meeting great SC players at various pc bangs (pc rooms).

Other comments have been made concerning changes in LAN that will hurt the Asian pro scene. Blizzard CATERS to the Asian scene more so than the America market - thanks in large part to StarCrafts immense success in Korea.

Yeah, I understand about Blizzard catering to the Asian (Korean) market, which is why I always thought this no LAN play was going to deep six SCII in Korea.

But no, I haven't watched much Korean TV lately. I don't even have a TV. I used to watch a lot of Korean soap operas but not so much anymore, since I work for 국경없는 의사회. Most of the time, I don't even have electricity. Last time I was in Korea and watched any TV, which was a couple years ago, I didn't see much, if any at all, WC. If things have changed, that's great for WC.

Is that regular WC? Because all the Korean-Americans in the K-towns here all seem to be playing DOTA.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Yeah, I understand about Blizzard catering to the Asian (Korean) market, which is why I always thought this no LAN play was going to deep six SCII in Korea.

But no, I haven't watched much Korean TV lately. I don't even have a TV. I used to watch a lot of Korean soap operas but not so much anymore, since I work for 국경없는 의사회. Most of the time, I don't even have electricity. Last time I was in Korea and watched any TV, which was a couple years ago, I didn't see much, if any at all, WC. If things have changed, that's great for WC.

Is that regular WC? Because all the Korean-Americans in the K-towns here all seem to be playing DOTA.

My understanding is that "LAN" as most of us know it will not be coming back because it was a favorite for gamers to use copied versions of a Blizzard game to use in LAN (since they couldn't go online with them...and using the same cd-keys). However, their will be a LAN like feature online which will be useful for tournaments and local play and etc.

And yes...it is WC. Most of the players at pc bangs though do play DOTA. But, we are talking about casual gamers here...who primarily frequent the pc bangs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.