Stardew Valley Coming to iOS on October 24, Pre-Orders Available Now

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 9, 2018 at 1:27 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ultra popular farming simulation RPG Stardew Valley is set to expand to iOS devices starting on October 24, developer ConcernedApe announced today.

For those unfamiliar with Stardew Valley, it's an incredibly in-depth game where players take on the role of a character who takes over their grandfather's small, failing farm, working to bring it back to prosperity by planting and tending crops, raising animals, and crafting goods to sell. It's similar to other games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing.

Players are also tasked with fighting monsters to earn money, mining ores, getting to know all the townspeople, and engaging in various social activities within the town. There are cyclical seasons and different crops and activities to partake in as the game progresses through different years.

[​IMG]

The mobile version of Stardew Valley is the full version of the game that "plays almost identically to all the other versions." It has been rebuilt for touchscreen controls by London-based mobile development studio, The Secret Police.

All single-player content from the 1.3 patch, including the night market, skull cavern changes, and new character events, will be available, but the game will not support multiple players.

[​IMG]

Those who have played Stardew Valley on the PC will be able to transfer their save data to the iOS version of the game using iTunes.

[​IMG]

Pre-orders for the new iOS version of Stardew Valley are available starting today, with the game priced at $7.99 with no in-app purchases.

Article Link: Stardew Valley Coming to iOS on October 24, Pre-Orders Available Now

2. brian3uk macrumors 6502

well dang. maybe i do need that big screen XS Max

3. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I haven’t played any Stardew Valley on Switch or otherwise, does this seem like a game that will fare ok with touch screen only control and not physical buttons?

And is this game good?

4. thasan macrumors 6502a

8 quid for FarmVille on steroid? Or is it something wholly different?

5. motm95 macrumors member

That overhead view and graphics style sort of reminds me of the original Zelda game on the NES.

6. diego macrumors regular

diego

I cannot think of how bad of a user experience this will be on touch screens... pretty much every game ported to touch screens is way inferior than their console/desktop counter part.

7. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

Yes, it doesn't rely on twitch at all, except for combat in the mines (kind of). Should be very well suited for touch controls.

And yes, the game is very good. Definitely feels nostalgic like 8 bit RPGs, but with a really nice storyline and diverse gameplay choices. It's a ton of fun.

8. patseguin macrumors 68000

patseguin

Ultra popular? Never heard of it, but looks like it was made for the C64.

9. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

No, there are no freemium aspects such as timers or in app purchases. FAR better than that game. It is a full fledged game that I have put probably 200+ hours into, and will put many more into.
    This is my only concern. We'll have to wait and see how it is.

10. gate5blues macrumors member

gate5blues

Finally! A simple game that can actually be played with no in-app purchase.

looks pretty getto though

11. eow macrumors newbie

Can’t play Stardew Valley without SMAPI. No sale for me.

12. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

I think it would work just fine on a touchscreen. As for the game being good, I enjoyed it a great deal. You farm during the day, adventure during the night, and balance the needs of your home, community, money, and even dating life with villagers. It's a cute game with an engaged dev team, and for the price is a pretty good value for a game that you can just relax and play without any nonsense.

13. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

SMAPI?

14. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Its retro design is intentional. As for you not having heard of it, it's been a tremendous success on just about every platform that's around (this is the EIGHTH platform it's coming out on) and has been a hit for a couple years, so it's your fault for being persistently uninformed.

15. linkmaster02 macrumors member

The farming aspect is the only thing that is similar. It's much closer to Harvest Moon. The price is absolutely worth it (and no IAP). It's gotten a lot of praise and many people have put 100s of hours into it.

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Oh no! I played this last year when it came out on the Switch and it was such a time sink. Great game, but wow, what a time sink. I avoided it for a long time because I thought it was like FarmVille, but it's completely different and has dungeon raiding mechanics, leveling and much more. Now I'm likely to get pulled into it all over again. The only thing that might stop me is that it doesn't support multiplayer. If it did, my wife and I would probably go ham on this. We used to argue over who got to use the Switch next, lol, but we always wanted to play together. Are the content updates since I played last autumn worth it to go back in?

17. linkmaster02 macrumors member

The controls on the console port are pretty frustrating at times, especially in the inventory screens. Touch controls could actually be really good for the inventory screens, though. I hope they don't just map the PC controls to touch controls, and instead use more natural touch interactions (tap, swipe, long press, pinch, etc).

18. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

How does it vary from animal crossing ?

19. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

Hadn't heard of it, but may actually buy this one. Meets many of the criteria I look for in a mobile game these days... immersive world, long playability, one-time purchase, network connection not required, and I dig the 8-bit Zelda-style graphics.

20. eow macrumors newbie

Basically, mods. Mods make Stardew Valley much greater than what it already is. SMAPI is a cornerstone framework for SV modding.

21. TomOSeven macrumors regular

TomOSeven

8 quid for one of the best-rated games of the past decade.

22. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Does it come with the SMELLS of farm living? :D

Been there, done that, when growing up. Not really looking to go back.

24. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

yeah I've always wondered what makes it so special... why it gets so much love... *thinking emoji*

25. DevNull0, Oct 9, 2018 at 3:57 PM
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 10:53 AM

DevNull0 macrumors 68000

Looks like I'll be buying this one. Nice to see a developer who is interested in creating a fun game for everyone rather than an income stream from a minority of suckers and a miserable experience for everyone.