Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
When you made it through to the Mantis lair, were the three robots all level 28 or thereabouts? Or does it dynamically scale and you had lower level enemies?
No, bring lots of ammo - especially if you're a low level. If memory serves me, you get some sort of shotgun doing the earlier parts of the quest, that weapon handles the robots nicely. Also you may have some aides that increase damage for a period of time and/or increase your protection.

Reactions: Howard2k

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Yesterday I played Starfield on my XBX for roughly 90min. When gameplay started, I thought that my Xbox was stuttering but then I recalled that it’s a 30fps game. My reaction was “Ew but let’s focus on game play, like with some graphics settings your eyes adjust after a few minutes“.

Gameplay mechanics, skill trees and the whole concept of the game is well thought out. It’s explorer game like Minecraft/No-Man‘s sky meets a shooter like Halo and RPG. Combat is convincing and doesn’t feel like an after thought.

However, my 60-90min I had not adjusted to 30fps. It was hurting my head a bit. :(o_OI blame Microsoft for for showing 60fps and backwards compatibility down our throats. Now they are asking us to take two steps back and accept 30fps for their most ambitious titles. Surely there must be a 60fps mode in the pipeline.

I don’t believe that Starfield will be stuck at 30fps on the Series X for ever. Regardless of game, I would rather play 1080p at 60fps rather than ”4k”(1440p dynamic resolution scaling) and ray tracing at 4k. There isn’t a single game that I’ve played on my Series X and chosen quality over performance mode.

As a result, I’m taking a break from Starfield and will resume when a 60fps has launched. I think MS just wanted to get the 30fps variant out the door, optimise it and fix bugs rather than launching and maintaining two modes From launch day.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Gameplay mechanics, skill trees and the whole concept of the game is well thought out. It’s explorer game like Minecraft/No-Man‘s sky meets a shooter like Halo and RPG. Combat is convincing and doesn’t feel like an after thought.
The difference that I see between NMS and Starfield, is there's many and varied quests and storylines. The last time I played NMS it was mostly an open world with a little story line sprinkled in
I blame Microsoft for for showing 60fps and backwards compatibility down our throats. Now they are asking us to take two steps back and accept 30fps for their most ambitious titles. Surely there must be a 60fps mode in the pipeline.
I don't think its their fault, Bethesda was developing this game for years prior to MS buying them, I think Bethesda swung for the fences with this game and its outstripping the computing/graphic capability of the xbox
As a result, I’m taking a break from Starfield and will resume when a 60fps has launched. I think MS just wanted to get the 30fps variant out the door, optimise it and fix bugs rather than launching and maintaining two modes From launch day.
I don't know if that will happen, it was delayed for over a year and Bethesda didn't optimize it further

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I don't think its their fault, Bethesda was developing this game for years prior to MS buying them, I think Bethesda swung for the fences with this game and its outstripping the computing/graphic capability of the xbox
Fair point. Given that it took some game developers 1-2 years to optimise previous gen titles for the Series X, it would probably take the same for Bethesda to downgrade visuals to acheive 60fps.

However it’s not a good look for Xbox and Starfield that the new Spider-Man title have quality and performance modes, but as a bonus also has raytracing enabled in both modes.

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
I'm finally going to try to get started with this over the weekend. The last Bethesda RPG I put significant time into was Morrowind on my original Xbox...so, it's been a minute. Hoping I don't get too overwhelmed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
However it’s not a good look for Xbox and Starfield that the new Spider-Man title have quality and performance modes, but as a bonus also has raytracing enabled in both modes.
No question, and I agree, even on the PC, the game is significantly demanding to the point where a RTX 4090 is not considered overkill for the game. I have an RX 7800 and I'm generally happy with the performance on Medium (which is effectively what the Xbox is doing) and I'm seeing FPS in the 60 range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.