Stargate: Origins "Subscription Web Series"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gkarris, Jul 23, 2017.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Good news: Sounds great! New Stargate Prequel Series!

Bad news: Like Star Trek: Discovery, it will only be available online in a "Stargate subscription service"... :(

fyi: The DVD's/BR's of the Stargate series (all the different ones) has been out-of-print for a while already...

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

No worries then. I have no interest in another subscription service.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I'm sure there will be a way to watch without subscribing!

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Eh? The Prequel has a gate iris? Way to screw up continuity.:rolleyes: It's gonna be based around Catherine Langford it would be the 1970's (after she was visited by a time traveling SG1 in 1969. SG1:1969). And they're using P90's? They won't be created until decades later.:rolleyes:

First Star Trek and Star Wars, now Stargate. Damn they won't be satisfied until they screw up all the good Sci-Fi shows.:mad:

5. jbachandouris, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017

jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

No thanks.

I noticed that both Ark of Truth and Continuum are on sale on iTunes for $4.99 each for those who don't yet have the digital copies.

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

An important part of the Stargate series appeal to me was the characters, not necessarily the star gate itself. There was never enough O'Neill, Teal'c, and Vala. :D

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think that clip was just composed of scenes from Stargate Universe. I don't think any of that was 'new' content from the prequel.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Although I am a huge fan of both franchises, I actually want both of these shows to fail so that this type of service doesn't catch on.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I won't be watching Star Gate or Star Trek if they require a new subscription.

Speaking of subscriptions- For Season 7 Game of Thrones it's costing me $30 for a 2 month subscription (HBO Now) along with any other HBO show I want to bing on. That's $3 an episode. On iTunes Season 6 is $39. Why would anyone choose this, when you could subscribe to HBO and easily binge watch a couple of seasons and any of HBO's content?

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I buy them on DVD. Then you can watch them when you want. I don't lease films.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

A lot of people prefer a sunk, 1-time cost vs a subscription that you will have to pay for the rest of your life if you want to access the same content, even if that 1-time cost ends up being more expensive.

I tend to consume media in many ways including buying digital, renting digital, subscriptions like Netflix, and physical discs too. They all have their pros and cons.

I draw the line at subscribing to a service for a single show, which is why I won't be seeing Star Trek/Gate until later when they lose their exclusivity. In fact, the single-show subscription model pisses me off so much that it might drive me, a paying customer, to look into piracy.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Through iTunes, HBO Now is auto renewing, month to month. So it's not a big deal sign up and to cancel. You can sign up, pay, then turn around and cancel and you'll have it for the following month.

14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Right I agree but there's still pros and cons. For example travelling workers and vacationers may have spotty or no internet, and there are people who live in areas with poor broadband. None of these are great for streaming.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree, HBO Now requires a decent streaming connection to be an option.

16. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

Just wait to next year to it comes out on netflix or buy DVD or blue ray when it comes out next year.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2017 ---
    Problems is lot of old classic shows like star trek, Stargate, Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica the actors are really old now.

17. jdoll021 macrumors regular

jdoll021

I don't get it, it says it's a webseries? Amanda Tapping's Sanctuary started as a webseries before getting a slot on broadcast TV. Didn't see anything about a subscription either. Not saying there isn't one (especially these days) but didn't catch where it said it and in what format.

I'm not a fan of the "prequel" nonsense these days. I don't understand they can't carry things forward. The way Universe was left seemed like a perfect opportunity for a crossover "mini-series" that could include the cast of all three shows. It's almost as if the powers that be don't want us to see a better future anymore. Like "it's going to get crappy, so be nostalgic instead!"
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2017 ---
    So? The way they left Universe you could explain why they aged. As for the rest, there is no reason why they have to "pick up where they left off." (Except BSG, they pretty much ended that one permanently). And, in the case of Star Trek at least, I'd like any new series to take place in an era long after the Next Gen era, like the 26th century. Doug Drexler's Enterprise-J seemed like a good launching point.

Hell, at this point, I'd even settle for a new original series that involves space exploration of some sort. Maybe a little more grounded in realism somewhat along the lines of Arthur C. Clarke's Odyssey series or Christopher Nolan's Interstellar. Or maybe something a little more fantastical that takes place in the far flung future like Issac Asimov's Foundation series.