HomeKit Starling Home Hub is brilliant!

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Disclaimer -- I have NO connection to the company, just an incredibly happy user.

I ordered a Starling Home Hub a couple months ago and my device was finally delivered. The little thing is amazing. It's a 2" cube that connects to a home network with an ethernet cable and enables virtually all Nest products to connect to Apple HomeKit. Virtually plug & play - just need to authenticate the Nest or Google account.

Everything shows up on the Apple Home app on my iPhone/iPad. My two Nest thermostats, 7 cameras (including a Hello doorbell), two Nest x Yale locks and my Nest Protect smoke detectors. I can also arm/disarm my Nest Guard, and the occupancy sensors on the Nest Thermostats are even supported and their status is displayed on the status bar of the Home app.

I know this can be done using HomeBridge and a small server, but this thing is an incredibly simple turnkey device for those who don't feel like learning how to edit JSON files or compile code.

Pretty darn cool.

IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0181.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2012
England
Have seen a video review of this on YouTube and the guy highly recommend it. Apparently though a limitation is no audio on cameras and doorbells? Have you found this?

Itinj24

macrumors 65816
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Have seen a video review of this on YouTube and the guy highly recommend it. Apparently though a limitation is no audio on cameras and doorbells? Have you found this?
I was gonna ask the OP about this too because apparently there was a firmware update to fix this... very interested in the Nest Hello Doorbell video camera. Sick and tired of waiting for a native HomeKit one to be released. Netatmo was supposed to release one in quarter four of 2019. Were almost on quarter two of 2020 and still nothing. I’m just afraid that Google will pull the plug on the Starling Hub one day.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

YatBob

Contributor
Apr 23, 2014
Louisiana
I have also been watching the Starling and will give it a try but every time I visit the website it is still not available, not a fan of placing an order for something to be shipped in the future, once it is in stock I will order, really looks like something I could use/want.

Itinj24

macrumors 65816
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have also been watching the Starling and will give it a try but every time I visit the website it is still not available, not a fan of placing an order for something to be shipped in the future, once it is in stock I will order, really looks like something I could use/want.
Yeah even the OP mentioned it took a couple months to get it.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
there are buttons for two-away audio on the Home app when watching a video feed. Haven’t tried it yet though. Will experiment tomorrow morning.

Starling seems like a pretty small operation. They get a shipment of parts then they build and ship. But appears their shipping speed is improving.

Reactions: Itinj24

CoryLancaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2020
Anybody know if there is a way to make the Nest Hello announce through HomePod instead of the chime with the starling hub and HomeKit?

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
I have the hub and i am not impressed

The camera notifications are on a delay compared to the nest app

Also i am seeing the sterling hub best connected accessories take a few seconds to sync longer when launching the HomeKit all

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
How does this change with the changes and agreements to the standard mentioned at WWDC. Will we need this much longer?

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I have the hub and i am not impressed

The camera notifications are on a delay compared to the nest app

Also i am seeing the sterling hub best connected accessories take a few seconds to sync longer when launching the HomeKit all
I tried the Starling hub and will be returning it so I can get cameras with official HomeKit support. The hub works well enough but it’s just a little off for me. Cameras were slow to load and would lose connection too often. For anyone with the camera audio problem I do know there is a fix coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.