Start the funeral music, my xbox 360 just died

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by EvilDoc, Aug 8, 2007.

1. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Ok last night my 360 was acting funny, it was freezing before it even load the dashboard. A couple of times i made it all the way there only for my 360 to prompt me for an update. Fast-forward to this evening... Ring of death... no dashboard nothing. Ive tried to reboot without the HD connect, no joy. The funny thing the EXACT same thing happened to my roommate a day prior. Well i guess a call to customer service is in my future... Any one else having recent issues? What is the turn around time on getting a replacement?

2. pcypert macrumors 6502

On the up side the wait is over and you can move on now...surely the replacement machines are in better shape and will last longer.... :)

Sorry you have to go through it though.

Paul

3. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Yea im happy it lasted as long as it did, hopefully i will get a replacement with the new heatsink.

4. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

With the warranty extension, it's all good. If they keep the warranty good or a year after you get the new refurb one, then you might have to call M$ for a year but always have a new xbox ;) j/k. Maybe you will get lucky and get a new one with an HDMI port.

5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

They don't send you a replacement, they repair your original system and ship it back. It's been this way for at least a few months now. The repaired systems also have a better heatsink/cooling setup on them as well.

You can now set the repair up through their website.

You should get it back in a week.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Happened to me once, plugging it directly into the wall remedied the issue... strangely enough.

7. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I just called them, it wasnt to bad over all. The guy said 4-6 weeks? Tell me this isnt the norm.

8. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Ask for a money refund, i hope my 360 dies so i can get a halo 3 editioner

the halo 3 edition coming out in semptember has a $399 price tag, and rocks out with a HDMI port

9. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

My Xbox 360 broke too, freezing and the Red lights of death. I sent it in for repair, they do 3-day shipping, somewhat slow. It's been over a week since they received it and I got no response/update on repair status. They're probably overloaded, so keep that in mind when you send it in.

10. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I didn't think it was possible to do a money refund. But my plan is to wait until i get my xbox repaired and then trade it in for the Halo 360. The timing could work out well depending on how long it takes. Btw when i get my replacement and hook up my HD will i have to format? or will i loose any saved games?

11. progx macrumors regular

progx

Hopefully you won't have to wait a long time. I had a customer come in to my store and he wanted to drop another $300 on a new Xbox 360. He told his burnt out, the red lights of doom, and he didn't want to wait months for a new system. That's loyalty right there. We told him he should just wait it out.

As I said, I hope you won't run into this problem. We've had a few people try to bring their Xboxs back. But, most of them weren't because of the waiting period, mainly laziness.

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

...and the $349 Premium has an HDMI port.

Get off the Halo one already. Go buy a skin for $20-$30. :rolleyes:
    It's a paint job, nothing more nothing less. No 65nm process. No features over the Premium.

Just a paint job.

13. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I didnt say i want it to have my babies, i like the color scheme and its 30-40 bucks more. So why not?

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I know you don't, I think Mr. MacBook here does though. ;)

15. Echinda macrumors regular

How long you ask? Here is my experience:

May 28 - Called support and made warranty claim.
    June 5 - Shipping box arrived at my place.
    June 5 - Shipped it back to them.
    June 11 - Xbox arrived at their repair center.

... cue sound of crickets ...

July 5 - Called to find out what my serial number was because I forgot to write it down and you need it to use the repair status website.

July 5 - Called again because the first person I called was totally unhelpful.

July 18 - Called again and got a guy that was really helpful. He spent twenty minutes with me figuring out that the problem was that they had shipped it to me, but Purolator had tried my house three times and I wasn't there so they shipped it back to Microsoft.

July 18 - Checked Purolator website and discovered that in this case their "try 3 times" policy meant that the guy showed up at my house at 3:00 pm, 4:55 pm and 4:56 pm ON THE SAME DAY!?!! and figured that I clearly had fled the country and would never be home again (for the record, I got home at 6:30 and my wife was there till 2:00 pm)

July 18 - Called Purolator and tore some unfortunate call center kid a new one (the "two" tries one minute apart really pissed me off)

July 27 - Xbox arrived at my house. Rejoicing commenced.

Elapsed time - roughly 8 weeks.

16. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Oh boy im going to lose it, i just got the box tonight and will mail tomorrow. If i dont get it back for 8 weeks i going to snap. Im in Az, and the repair station is in Tx. Im gonna give them a week past when they receive it, then im going to start calling and ask wtf... Thats ridiculous several of my friends have had to send the xbox 360's in within the last several weeks. And A couple of them said that the wait is due to the fact that they are actually repairing your xbox. And if you call its possible to get a new one sent. I hate being an ass ( for the most part ) but i want my 360 back besides playing games on the damn thing it was my media hub...

17. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I called when I had an RoD, shipped it the next day (I paid for the UPS though...$4 bucks), had my system back, repaired - 1 week later.

Once again I say YMMV. (your mileage may vary)

They're probably backlogged on sending out prepaid boxes to ship it to them; eff that. Go pay $2-$3 for a cardboard box and some bubble wrap, box it up and ship it out UPS Ground or FedEx Ground for around $4-$5 and get it there to the repair center a few days after you called it in.

18. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

So today i called the BBB and filed a complaint. Several of my friends have said they have done this and received a NEW xbox 360 with in a week and half... Since the BBB calls the company about the complaint with in 2 days i can see this working possibly. So i will keep you all posted.

19. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Yeah, or they could say "screw this guy, he didn't even give the normal procedure/means a chance" and send you yours back with 'rattling insides' and a non-functioning system again. That was really short sighted. I know that'd piss me off if I worked at Microsoft. (or any other company that you, your friends, or anyone else with a similar idea tried)

You do realize the BBB has better things to do than investigate claims because people are too impatient, right?

If your car breaks down under warranty, do you just file a BBB claim rather than take it to the dealership? Come on. :rolleyes:

Sorry man, I hope they don't give you jack. :cool:
    You just screwed over everyone else in the world who had a malfunctioning 360 before yours who were waiting patiently for theirs to be repaired, because you have no patience. You also just screwed yourself over to from complaining like this. You do realize if they don't do anything for you (which is highly likely, all they have to do is reply to the BBB that they have a free of cost repair service in place and the BBB dismisses the claim) that you're screwed now. Good luck getting your replacement in any reasonable time frame now; they'll probably throw yours back in the back and get to it eventually sometime this year. :rolleyes:

I suppose when you eat at a restaraunt and complain about your food (above and beyond reasonable) you expect to get your food served again without being dropped on the floor or spit on too.

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, I have to agree. It's both dishonest and unethical to exploit the system like that.

21. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Your funny... When i buy something for $400 bucks i expect for it not break with in a year and half of me owning it. And if it does i expect get it back within a reasonable time. Eight weeks is not reasonable when i live 2 states away from the repair facility. And just because everyone else in the world is getting screwed that does not mean i should sit back and take one for the team :rolleyes: Dont be such a sheep... bah bah bah :D

22. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Explain exploit the system? I didn't do anything underhanded, i complained to an organization that investigates complaints. Its it unreasonable to complain about a company that has confirmed that each system has a defect? You make it sound like im holding a Microsoft employee hostage...

23. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Microsoft did not have to extend their warranty past the obligatory 90days to 1 year, let alone to 3years. Keep in mind Apple gives 90days phone and 1 year on hardware. Anything more you need to dish out for applecare. Sorry I never buy applecare because my AMEx gives me the same coverage just for using their card. But you are right eight weeks is totally unreassonable if yours was the only 360 to fail:rolleyes: FYI my 360 just got the RROD August10. I called immediately they walked me through some diagnostics and April 13 a box arrived for sending back to the repair facility. I shipped it out eveing of Aug 16 and they recieved it Aug 20. Am I going to call today - NOOOOOO. I will call next week for a update. I did call AMEX this past weekend and they said they could arrange for me to get a new one but they said I would have to at least go through MS's repair/warranty program first. I do like that my coverage on my 360 is now 6 years:D

Be Patient - go get a wii or a ps3 or play something on your computer or just do something else

24. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Waaah waaah waaah
    want some cheese with that whine?
    Mine broke in the 11th month of the first year I owned it.
    I called, shipped it, got it back a week later.

You already get no pity for me because you had yours longer before it RoD'd, now you get negative pity because you wanted to be dishonest and didn't want to wait a few weeks. Poor you. waaah waah waaaaah

There's probably plenty of broken systems there already; what, yours is supposed to get at the front of the line 'cause you want to whine about it? Wow, I guess I've had it wrong all along, now I truly know how the world works! :cool: mee mee mee, fk the rest of you, all about meeeeeee

Go drive it down there then, I'm sure the repair center manager would like to meet someone like you so they can tell you to take a hike for being rude and impatient :rolleyes:

take one for the team?
    don't be selfish in the future, you'll get farther in life :rolleyes:
    first come first served
    guess you enjoy eating hair in your cheeseburger if this is how you act :p

So says a guy with the word "circumvent" in his 'location'. guess you should check the definition of that, shouldn't you...? :rolleyes:

Spanky, you can check the repair status on their website if you want. :)
    http://service.xbox.com/servicesignin.aspx

25. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

If he's lucky it will only be a hair...

I am in no hurry with final year of grad school starting this week.