Starting to think i bought a lemon

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GabbaGooch, Nov 10, 2011.

1. GabbaGooch macrumors newbie

I bought a brand new 27" iMac back in february and all i do is play counter strike and small things like facebook etc. It was running great up until about a week ago it started running and loading slow. Now, it wont let me connect and it keeps sending an error to Apple but its not being fixed. My dumpy crappy pc never had problems like this. Did i buy a $3,000 meatball?

For those who dont know, counter strike is like 12 years old. So ram, video, etc isnt the problem. This computer, for the amount of money it cost, should run counter strike like God said it was good.

Mac users always have nothing but nice things to say about macs but so far im having a hard time with mine with less than a year of ownership.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure how that machine became a $3000 experience. That sounds like a lot of upgrades. Just hearing that you're experiencing issues with slowing unfortunately doesn't mean much. I can't find any recent OSX bugs that would cause this. General slowing like that can come from a number of things. Errors in OSX, hard drive issues (regarding loading slow or if there isn't enough ram to contain everything there), bad ram, logic board issues, etc. Have you taken it to an Apple store? They'd have to take it in for repair meaning back up everything. If you prefer to do this yourself there are a few utilities for testing ram and overall stress testing.

The thing about computers is that they're all made from mass produced components. That means they're hit and miss and you can get a lemon. If you don't have applecare I'd suggest taking this in as soon as possible so that you can ensure you have a machine in good condition when your warranty does expire.

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Sounds like a Steam issue or internet/ router problem. You're being pretty vague on the problem.

4. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

I agree.

Give us more information and you will get much better help.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Counter Strike (the original) is a Windows only game..... are you playing it in Windows with Boot Camp or Parallels or Fusion? What are the specs of your iMac? What version of Mac OS X are you using? Have you run software update?

6. GabbaGooch thread starter macrumors newbie

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i3
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Doesnt matter tho...nobody seems to know what im talking about since im so vague. Bottom line is, a computer like this should never have any problems. Maybe steam side but i doubt it. Sometimes my webpages freeze up and wont close. Just gives me the loading rainbow circle thinger. Im not Mac bashing but if Macs are that good....show me the money.

7. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

my 50k car got a flat tire.. OMGGGGG this car should of never done that...

8. B.A.T macrumors 6502

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Well, you are, kinda.

You say it won't let you "connect". Does that mean the Mac's built-in Safari browser cannot load websites? Or does it mean that the game, which is presumably either running in Boot Camp under Windows or running in a virtual machine under Windows, cannot connect to some sort of multiplayer server?

Tell us about how you are running this old game. Are you booting into Windows in Boot Camp or running Parallels or VMWare? What version of Windows are you running?

This seems like a software issue, so the more detail you can provide, the more help you'll get... and the fewer complaints about vague this and vague that.

10. Illia macrumors newbie

If you're running counterstrike under a virtual machine, this is likely your problem.

You're talking about the beach ball swirly, so I'm assuming you're not booting straight into windows. If you've assigned more than about 512Mb to your windows VM, then you're likely Ram bound and swapping like mad. Your hard drives will be running constantly.

Use activity monitor (COMMAND+SPACE - enter activity, select the app) to have a look at the amount of memory free to you. You should have a large green chunk of the pie chart.

The good news is memory is cheap, go buy 8gb for $70 and chuck it in. (Follow the instructions under the system profiler to do so)

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

With a tone and attitude like that, I am beginning to suspect the OP is a troll of sorts. He doesn't seem interested in help of any sort, and is here just to bash apple.

If my memory serves me right, i3 processors were used in the mid 2010 models of the imac, which cost just $1200 back then, and should fetch even less today. Unless he is from another country where US$1.2k translates to about $3k in their currency.

So either he just got conned, or doesn't really know what he is talking about. :confused:

12. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

If you want help, explain the problem as detailed as possible and I can gurantee you that people here will try to help you as best as possible.

Another solution is sell it on Craigslist and buy one of those really cool looking Alienware computers with the alien head that glows colors of the rainbow. I'm sure $3000 will cover it just fine and CS will run like a champ.. :rolleyes:

13. iHutch105 macrumors member

Agreed. The attitude does little in encouraging answers from people.

14. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Awesome. I paid a lot (overpaid) so I have zero responsibility to learn anything. Hope you go back to a PC soon. No wonder Apple was not too quick on serving the masses.
    Also - CounterStrike source was ported to the Mac months and months ago. It IS running native. Just OpenGL port not DirectX so it is blurry and runs at 50% power still.
    OP-needs to run it in Win on that same iMac and performance will double. It is software problem NOT hardware.

15. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If it is a hardware problem, and as you say, it's under a year old, you'll no doubt have heard the word "warranty".

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't know how you spent $3000 on this computer. Your computer is under warranty. If you have am issue, return it. Your inability to describe the problem and brushing off offers of help makes me think you're just trolling.

17. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

This. Move along.

18. GabbaGooch thread starter macrumors newbie

wow the gay mac fan boys have spoken. Clearly i was trolling whatever the hell that means.

19. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

And so his intent is made clear for all to see. :eek:

20. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I checked back in to see where the thread's been going.

Kudos to Illia for an insightful and helpful post.

Unfortunately the OP seems to have stomped off in a huff, having provided no further information or answered anyone's questions (including mine). Ah well, we tried-- at least, some of us did.

21. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

If it wasn't always having these problems, then something changed.

1) Did you run a software update?
    2) Did you install any new programs?
    3) Did you save/download/create a lot of new files that may have taken up a lot of space on the hard drive?

22. GyroFX macrumors 6502

What is loading slow? CS? Are you playing SC Source? If not, are you playing regular SC through a virtual environment?
    What else is loading slowly?
    What does not connect? Internet? Steam? CS to CS servers?

no one can help you if you don't really state what exactly you're having trouble with.

23. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

Doesn't have run-flats? OMG!

24. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

25. Detrius macrumors 68000

Wish for Apples.