Startup Chimes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by meddyliol, Jun 5, 2009.

1. meddyliol macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me to stop the startup chimes on my Macbook? I find it very annoying./ I know that if the volume is turned down before switching off cures it but it doesn't really, it's still there I just cannot hear it.

Thanks

Brian :cool:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Chiiiiime

Try resetting the PRAM & the PMU, followed by adjusting the volume. SHould do the trick.

F

4. meddyliol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your prompt answers. What is a PRAM & PMU?

Brian

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I personally like hearing my Mac chime on power up, it's the only sure way to know there's no malfunctions brewing. If you think the default chime is annoying, just wait till you get an MacPro and populate it with raidcards... lol.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

7. gikku macrumors regular

gikku

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Another option: Put the machine to sleep. I rarely restart. Most of the time is when new software updates happen, or lately rebooting to Windows Boot Camp. Unless you're not using the machine for more than a few days, leave it sleep. No more chime.

I like it too - it's a Mac thing, I guess. The "warm fuzzy" you get when booting up. It's actually got it's own back story: started in early '90s, went through a bunch of oddball sounds through the 90's, then came back with the 8600 series (I believe - or 9600, anyway - too late/early to go through each one myself) Since then, by high directive, the startup "shall remain the same.