Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lojzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
I installed Big Sur when the public beta came out, no funny business, all official, and the installation went without a hitch (MacBook Pro, 2017)

However, often when waking from sleep I will get the flashing ? folder showing the startup disk is "missing". It's not every time, may 25%. To get it working again I try

• Safe boot (hold shift)
  • Purge PRAM (cmd+opt+p+r)
  • Remote boot (cmd+r)
  • leaving it and trying again later (not short cut)
The effectiveness of these methods seems random. I will just cycle through them until something works. I tried reinstalling BS but when it was ready to install the was no disk to instal it to, so it failed.

each update I hope things will be magically fixed, but so far, only disappointment.

I guess it could be a faulty SSD but when it starts up, everything works perfectly.

Will attach a video (I hope) that perfectly shows what the title states.

If anyone has had similar issues I would be grateful for support and advice. Thanks in advance.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Cloning tools are no help. I would invest or get out a spare backup to use to test fresh setup and in case your drive is in fact failing or has an issue with pre-boot partition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.