Startup issues after installing 10.6.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drewnamis, Mar 30, 2010.

1. drewnamis macrumors newbie

I installed 10.6.3, and after that my macbook c2d 2.0 will not start up. The startup screen has a flashing file folder with a question mark on it. I did some research, booted up using my OS X disk, and ran disc utility to repair permissions, reset the PRAM, but no dice. It sees the drive no problem, and I can even choose it to be my startup drive, but it doesn't start up. Any thoughts? I shoulda backed up before I updated; my latest backup was probably from thursday so I think I lost some data.

Another question, if i reinstall OS X using archive and install, it should "recover" my files wouldn't it? I'm thinking of trying that next.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, archive and install shouldn't erase any data and your backup is pretty decent. Have you already looked at my guide?

3. drewnamis thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the write up. I just read it. It doesn't seem that my HDD is dead, as disk utility sees it, but repairing permissions or disk doesn't seem to help. I guess as the next step, I'm going to reinstall mac os x.

4. dayalsoap macrumors newbie

Do Not Upgrade

Do NOT do this upgrade.

My Macbook WILL NOT BOOT anymore. It just flashes a blue screen, and then the default wallpaper.

I did nothing wrong. I simply did the upgrade and it's completely ****ED.

Nothing was plugged in, nothing fancy.

This is complete ********.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

That guide is horribly inaccurate.

6. natewsmith macrumors regular

When you go into Disk Utility on your DVD. Look on your drive and see if the Owners Permissions is set to NO.

Some how mine is even though while I'm in Snow Leopard from a backup it says that it is enabled YES. So I don't understand it. I can't install a fresh copy of OSX.

Nate

7. dayalsoap macrumors newbie

I also can't install a fresh copy of OSX. The boot just completely ignores the DVD and goes right to the flashing ********.

What a ****ing piece of ****.

8. natewsmith macrumors regular

It installed 10.6.3 just fine for me. I never have any problems updating an OS.

So power off your mac. And keep the DVD in the drive. It took me a couple times holding down C for it to run the disc.

When I finally get it to boot, it brings up what language I want and then when it says it's preparing for install a box comes up and instantly says OS X can't be installed on this Computer.

From there I can pull off my Time Machine or I can reboot my iMac.

Can you access any of your external hard drives?

9. dayalsoap macrumors newbie

I don't know, I can't get far enough to see if the disk drive is detected or not.

I tried holding C, obviously. It just flashes the two screens.

10. natewsmith macrumors regular

2 screens? Try it with just your macbook and see if that makes a difference.

That is very odd that it is doing this. What color is the flickering screen? Black or blue?

11. dayalsoap macrumors newbie

It flashes the blue screen and the default wallpaper, not on 2 monitors, just the basic macbook.

12. natewsmith macrumors regular

Try booting into safe mode by holding down the "shift" key once you hear the chime.

13. natewsmith macrumors regular

ok,

since it's flashing blue what you want to do is reboot your mac and once you hear the chime, go into Single user mode by holding down the command and the S key at the same time.

A1. If the disk in question is your Mac OS X startup disk and your computer stops starting up at the blue screen, restart with the Command and S keys held down, and enter the following commands:

mount -uw /
    chown root /
    chmod 1775 /
    exit

14. dayalsoap macrumors newbie

command and S key doesn't work :-( It just stays blue.

Tried safe mode.. nothing.

15. natewsmith macrumors regular

You did reboot the computer right and then hold down the shift key?

16. chriswaco macrumors newbie

Same problem

I had the same problem -- the system hung before the login prompt appears. I restarted a few times, tried the S and Shift keys, etc. Nothing worked. Finally I shut everything down and restarted and it booted fine. WTF?

I have a feeling there's a bug in the code that rebuilds the kext cache, but it's just a feeling. If you can remove your hard disk, or put the machine in Firewire target mode, and mount it on another machine, I suggest removing 3rd party kexts and trying again.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Please do your own more accurate one or tell me what should I add. Those things to do usually help or if not, then it's very likely a hardware issue

18. drewnamis thread starter macrumors newbie

so i reinstalled SL, but no dice. I think my HDD died on me, as my gen macbook is known to do :\

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have warranty left? If you do, contact Apple but if you don't, your best bet is to replace it yourself rather than paying 3x price for Apple

20. drewnamis thread starter macrumors newbie

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

22. dayalsoap macrumors newbie

No idea what happened. Works fine now this morning. Nothing's changed.........

23. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

So glad I found this thread, nice to know that I am not the only one fudged since the 10.6.3 upgrade :(

I am stuck the Apple logo when you first boot, anyone know how to get past that?

Oh and this was my second attempt at upgrading, first one wouldn't install :( after it upgraded this time it showed me the hdd that I had to click to sart up if that helps anyone help me fix this :)

I am on a 2.16 GHz C2D MacBook :)

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_doesn't_boot

Did you try that already?

25. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Yrah tried that, it is no help :( it is just stuck on apple logo and spibning cicrle for ages :/ i can't find my discs to do a permissions repair either :( not that it matters as i cnt eject a disc that is already in :(